Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I gave Tessa a bath last night and I saw a flea on her chest!
She has been mildly scratching herself this last week but nothing major. However I am so paranoid about scratching (could mean worms, fleas, ticks, etc. it's scary!!) that I notice every little thing about it. I have been inspecting Tessa like crazy for fleas but I never had found one until YESTERDAY! I am freaking out because our new little boy is coming on Tuesday and he is healthy as can be (knock on wood)! He is almost 16 weeks old and absolutely beautiful with no tear staining AT ALL!

I am starting to think that Tessa's recent staining may be due to the fleas. -_- I gave her a sentinel tablet 2 weeks ago because the breeder sent me a sample package of stuff and I knew it wouldn't hurt. I like to deworm my puppies every two weeks to stay on the safe side. Anyways, I need your help!! What can I do before the new pup gets here to prevent him getting fleas too. Also, because I saw one flea on her, does that mean she has fleas (I can't find anymore)? What should I ask for from the vet (advantage, frontline, revolution, etc.)

One last question!!! How can I lessen the staining on her face? She drinks distilled water, eats and drinks from stainless steel doggie bowls, and eats dry kibble Eukanuba puppy chiots. Is there something at the pet store that anyone has found to be helpful with tear stains???

Thank you all,

Nousha and Tessa

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
yuck about the flea.. we use advantage on lucy and she's never had one flea. hope that helped. try giving her a bath w/flea-killing shampoo and using a flea comb on her whole body..

about the tear staining.. i know there's a lot of products out there that clear up tearstains. i used them on lucy for awhile til i realized duh? she doesn't stain? lol i guess i'm lucky. i thought they were working and i didn't use them for awhile and she looked the exact same
i guess its a trade off though, cuz lucy gets yucky eye boogers.

my malt-turned-yorkie breeder neighbor gave us a home remedy; haven't tried it... you mix cornstarch, hydrogen peroxide, and something called malox (sp?) and just apply it under the eyes and then wash it. apparently it does the trick.

good luck w/ the fleas, stains, and new little boy.. duke, right? make sure you take pics of the two cuties together. it's gonna be fun to see them grow up.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Puppylucy,

I used a flea killing shampoo on Tess. That's actually the only one I've used on her so far. Will the the contents in the home remedy irritate her eyes? I don't want to make her uncomfortable in anyway...What do you think?

Thanks for your help and advice! I will go buy a flea brush today! The little boy is coming and I think we are going to name him Duke. I will let you guys know as soon as we see him! He needs a name that fits, you know? I promise you pictures! Tessa went to the vet yesterday she is 1.9 pounds and the little guy coming is about 3.5 pounds. I wonder if he will look much bigger!

Sincerely,

Nousha and Tessa

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Nousha, My vet gave Abbey resolution. I had already bought some Frontline but she said because of Abbey's size she was more comfortable with Resolution, plus resolution has heartworm protection in it. She said we can switch Abbey to Frontline once she's 4-5 pounds but will have to have a heartworm medicine then. No fleas here yet and she is outside to potty at least 10 - 12 times a day! Knock on wood
!! She applied it to Abbey when she was 12 weeks and she is 16 weeks now, so at 18 weeks it will be reapplied.

I can't wait to see a picture of Tessa and Duke? together!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The sentinel just breaks the reproduction cycle but won't kill fleas. You can get a Capstar tablet to kill what is on her now, give her a bath, and then apply either Advantage or Frontline.

Sentinel also has a heartworm preventative in it and should only be given to dogs that are definately heartworm negative.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 16 2005, 12:44 PM
The sentinel just breaks the reproduction cycle but won't kill fleas. You can get a Capstar tablet to kill what is on her now, give her a bath, and then apply either Advantage or Frontline.

Sentinel also has a heartworm preventative in it and should only be given to dogs that are definately heartworm negative.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53299
[/QUOTE]

Great idea! That's what I'll do!!!
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts