Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 out of the 3 stitches Romo had for his neuter are gone! There is no oozing and doesn't look terribly bad but it is read where the incision is and looks "sensitive" to me. kwim? :unsure: My vet is closed but I did call their 24hr emergency line and they said we could bring him in tonight or wait til morning for them to look at it. Since it's really late we will wait til morning. Of course this happens while I've been out all day (picking up Suri).

She said they may staple or stitch him back up. How do they do this? Put him back under anesthesia? Poor baby! They said they would worry about infection if it is not stiched back up. btw, his was neutered this past wednesday.

Has this happened to anyone? Any advice? Thank you! We are pretty worried. :(

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Do you have a onesie that you can put on him or an E-collar? If so, I would probably hold off until the morning before bringing him to the vet. I don't know about your vet but mine uses glue in addition to the stitches.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a onesie that you can put on him or an E-collar? If so, I would probably hold off until the morning before bringing him to the vet. I don't know about your vet but mine uses glue in addition to the stitches.
Can the vet just put glue or sterile strips on him at this point? I don't know if glue was used in addition to his stitches but it would have been nice to be told if so.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Mary and would use a onesie or collar.

Please keep us posted!!!
OK, forget the collar. He won't tolerate it. If using a onesie how does he go pee? I can see cutting a hole for his tail and I could cut a hole where his little wee wee is but that is pretty close to his incision and my prediction is that he is still able to get to his incision. How do we use a onesie?

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Oh, Soo, you've got your hands full. :blink: When Tyler was in his onesie for his neuter, I was around and I would roll it back (even up on his back) so he could pee. After he peed or pooped I would snap it back down for several hours until I thought it was around time for him to go. It cut down the time i had to worry about him going at the stitches. Did anyone see him biting or licking the stitches? Tyler's were self dissolving and just faded away.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
OK, forget the collar. He won't tolerate it. If using a onesie how does he go pee? I can see cutting a hole for his tail and I could cut a hole where his little wee wee is but that is pretty close to his incision and my prediction is that he is still able to get to his incision. How do we use a onesie?

Put the onesie on so that the long part that wraps over his tail, between his legs and snaps on his underside. Cut a hole in it for his tail to come through. When you take him out or to his potty pad to pee just unsnap it and fold the onesie up over his back toward his shoulders. If he ends up peeing with the onesie on just take it off, throw it in the wash and put a clean one on him.

Provided the incision has already started to heal, which in all likelihood it has, your vet can used steri strips or may just say to leave it alone as it is already healing as it should.

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Put the onesie on so that the long part that wraps over his tail, between his legs and snaps on his underside. Cut a hole in it for his tail to come through. When you take him out or to his potty pad to pee just unsnap it and fold the onesie up over his back toward his shoulders. If he ends up peeing with the onesie on just take it off, throw it in the wash and put a clean one on him.

Provided the incision has already started to heal, which in all likelihood it has, your vet can used steri strips or may just say to leave it alone as it is already healing as it should.
Oh, yes. I did get a three pack of onesies just in case he wet it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Any updates? How is your baby this morning?

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Poor little Romo. How is he today? Do you have any jammie's? The one's that Des makes through GoFetch and ToniMari are great for after a spay or neuter. Just add one or two more snaps at the belly so that the incision is covered. Then you don't have to worry about them pottying in it.

Give that sweet boy some hugs and kisses from me. And try not to let him play much with Suri until he's fully healed.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Poor little Romo. How is he today? Do you have any jammie's? The one's that Des makes through GoFetch and ToniMari are great for after a spay or neuter. Just add one or two more snaps at the belly so that the incision is covered. Then you don't have to worry about them pottying in it.

Give that sweet boy some hugs and kisses from me. And try not to let him play much with Suri until he's fully healed.
Crystal, do you have a link for them? I'd like to go ahead and get a few pairs in preparation of Poppy getting neutered.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
how is romo doing today? did you get the onesie for him? give him a lot of hugs and kisses from auntie cat and his buddy remy! xoxo

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Okay, I found the jammies at go.fetch™ ... is there a particular one(s) that work best with the boys after being neutered?

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Romo is doing pretty good. Although now all 3 stitches are gone. We caught him licking only a couple times other than that he is pretty much leaving it alone. I think the stitches were itching and bothering him but now that they are gone he feels better? :unsure: I only say that because recently I had 3 stitches and they itched like crazy and once they came out it was sooooooo much better! :) The vet opens tmrw so I will talk to his vet, I bet she doesn't stitch him back up. At least I am hoping that steri strips or glue will suffice. :) I am so glad I posted here and didn't take him to animal emergency, they wanted to stitch him up again!
Thank you everyone for your support. Romo really appreciates it! :wub:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts