Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AP: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez | wwltv.com | WWLTV.com News

I was concerned, but now I'm literally scared. :(

I've been following this as it inches closer and closer to the coastal area of our already perilous wetlands. I'm just sick to my stomach over this whole thing - BP's response; government's response and their lack of acknowledgment of how bad this really is. I just had to vent about this.

Forty percent of the nation's seafood comes from this area. And, heaven help us if it gets to the mouth of the river - then river traffic comes to a standstill and the price of oil; natural gas; and other commodities that we as consumers take for granted will go sky high as it could, in the worse case scenario, shut down the Mississippi River and the ports of New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Okay, sorry about posting here but if you can't vent to friends who can you vent to. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It is horrifying.... even more so is that Pres. Obama (who said he was not looking to oil but would be pushing for alternative means) has approved more of those types of wells to be drilled in that same area :( I sure hopes he backs down on that now... They say this is going to be worse than the Valdez spill :(

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Wow...what a sickening mess. The poor animals.
The article mentioned that underwater robots failed to turn off the valve
(of the flow of oil)
Shouldn't they be making them with remote controlled devices that can shut off that valve in an emergency???
I hope they can clean some of it up and FAST!

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow...what a sickening mess. The poor animals.
The article mentioned that underwater robots failed to turn off the valve
(of the flow of oil)
Shouldn't they be making them with remote controlled devices that can shut off that valve in an emergency???
I hope they can clean some of it up and FAST!
There was an emergency shut off valve installed on the rig and I believe it was an automatic one not needing human action, but it didn't work! :(

The human life that was lost is tragic. And, now all the wildlife - they spotted some whales swimming through the surrounding ribbons of oil. :(

Linda

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Sounds really awful. Going to take a very long time and billions of dollars, animial rescue etc. etc. quite the catastrophe. Seems incredible that more safeguards aren't in place.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
It sickens me too. The poor animals and the lives lost on the rig. I sure hope Obama doesn't plan to build more rigs or drill for oil. We definitely needs alternatives means for gas, etc. To bad water isn't an option! I wonder if it will affect the lower gulf as well?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.