Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! I've been thinking of getting Bella a petite size Greenie to chew on. We have tried the kind that is all chopped up into bits, and she loves it. I know she would absolutely LOVE to chew on a greenie in bone form, but is it ok if she chews up the whole thing within an hour? She is a very agressive chewer, and I don't want to upset her stomach. Should I take it away and give it back to her later (seems soooo mean of me). Any greenie experiences to share?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Greenies are an edible chew, not a long lasting chew toy. You should carefully supervise her so she does not eat a large chunk of it at once as this can cause an obstruction and require surgery. Any edible chew/treat can cause an upset stomach.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by JMM@May 30 2005, 01:43 PM
Greenies are an edible chew, not a long lasting chew toy. You should carefully supervise her so she does not eat a large chunk of it at once as this can cause an obstruction and require surgery. Any edible chew/treat can cause an upset stomach.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66913
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding me that she could break off a big chunk, I think I better stick to the chopped up kind. Bella is so fast she could take off with the big chunk and I wouldn't even know it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy+May 30 2005, 02:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@May 30 2005, 01:43 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66913
Thanks for reminding me that she could break off a big chunk, I think I better stick to the chopped up kind. Bella is so fast she could take off with the big chunk and I wouldn't even know it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66915
[/B][/QUOTE]

Good plan. I used to give petite Greenies to K & C but Kallie would eat them so fast and then the next morning would throw up and there would be a fairly large piece of Greenie in it. So we're done with them around here!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
yeah... i basically stopped giving them to Kodie too. He just has a BAD attitude after I give them to him... soo NO MORE GREENIES for HIM!

·
Registered
427 Posts
All three of my furkidz love Greenies. I only buy the kind that are the original Petite Greenies and are called that on the package since the other kind caused my furkidz to throw up and they did not like them as much. My furkidz never throw up on the Greenies and I take them away when they are nearing the end before they are too small to choke on. None of my furkidz are aggressive chewers. Panda takes forever to chew hers. Sassy chews hers too fast only if very hungry otherwise it also last a long time. Skeeter must play fetch with his Greenie to get it nice and soft before he wants to chew on it.

Susan & my furkidz in NJ

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
the buttercup loooooves her greenies. she gets one a week, if that often. i read on the packagig that you can soften them by putting them in a wet towel in the microwave for a few seconds (or something like that). i tried that, and the buttercup was GIDDY with her new treat. LOL.

she'd also be giddy if i tore the muffler off my car and gave it to her. (she's not bright... but she's pretty!!!!)

i give her greenies when The Boy and i dont want any distractions at dinner time. she doesnt get nasty when you take them away, like some dogs do, but rather, she'll sit and pout. or depending on how long she'd been working on it, she will start panicking and search the entire apartment for it. once she picks up the scent...she'll sit under the counter that it is on and just stare up at it ever so longingly.... poor baby....

ann marie and the "how MEAN is SHE????" buttercup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts