Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
I haven't read the other thread yet, but I did notice that of her breeding dogs, only the one male is a champion. None of the females seem to be champions and under the "our champions" page is her stud and one other dog that she sold. So, as far as showing goes, I'm not sure how active she is.

However, I do like that she posts the pedigrees. Her contract as far as limited AKC reg and 1 year genetic health guarantee seem on the up and up. Her prices seem quite low, though. Maybe because the pups will only have the CH on one side...not sure, though.

The pictures are really nice, but I've learned not to focus only on that.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
I haven't read the other thread yet, but I did notice that of her breeding dogs, only the one male is a champion. None of the females seem to be champions and under the "our champions" page is her stud and one other dog that she sold. So, as far as showing goes, I'm not sure how active she is.

However, I do like that she posts the pedigrees. Her contract as far as limited AKC reg and 1 year genetic health guarantee seem on the up and up. Her prices seem quite low, though. Maybe because the pups will only have the CH on one side...not sure, though.

The pictures are really nice, but I've learned not to focus only on that.
I have a question for people. When a breeder has lower prices, does that affect how you think about them as a breeder? Do you feel that the quality of their dogs isn't as good as a breeder with higher prices?

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a question for people. When a breeder has lower prices, does that affect how you think about them as a breeder? Do you feel that the quality of their dogs isn't as good as a breeder with higher prices?
Tina,
That has nothing to do with why I asked if she was reputable, in no way.
No, I don't think prices have a thing to do with it, at least for me. I think you have gorgeous babies and your prices are fair and worth it for the beautiful babies you have.
Again, please don't think that is why I posted this question.
Andrea

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
For me it depends on how low. If the price is around $200-$600 then I would question the quality a bit more. Same goes for a price of $3000+.

But, that does not mean if they are $1000-$2500 I don't question and just assume they are reputable.

When I look at websites I don't necessarily even look at the prices, most of the time I don't look at the puppies page until I've looked at the Our Boys/Girls/Champions/Hopefuls/etc... first.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
No not really especially now a days. It's hard to place pups during this economy. If the breeder is a legitimate breeder meaning they look after the welfare of their animals, breeds to standard and not to make a quick buck and you know EXACTLY what I mean Tina then the price difference doesn't effect me.

I met this lady at the Amish bakery this past week. She ran to my car when she saw me leaving and questioned me about Mia. She had a little one and was looking to add another one. She mentioned she had contacted a breeder in the West Palm area and her name was Bonnie. I chuckled and added her last name. She was amazed I knew who she had spoken to. She loved Bonnie but couldn't afford her prices. So I told her that there were a few breeders that had pups more in her price range I gave her a business card and told her to email me.

I went on to educate her about BYB's with lower prices and the horrid puppy mills & pet stores. I also told her that Mia was adorable and little but she had and will eventually have more health issues. I told her not to base her whole decision on price even though Mia cost me $1,200 to purchase she has and will cost me a lot more in the future with her health issues.

I told her what I look for first (of course behind the cute face of the pup) is trust in the breeder and communication. Once I feel comfortable with the breeder I research on how healthy their pups are and how many litters they have bred and honest and real recommendations from past owners. Hopefully she will email me and not go the BYB route.

Back to your original question price should not be the deciding factor.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I personally have never purchased a dog from a breeder but a lower price wouldn't deter me or make me thnk they were not a reputable breeder. I think what would deter me would be (1) the opinions of my trusted friends here on SM and (2) my own sense of whether the breeder and I (and the dog) were a good fit.

ETA: in the practice of full disclosure and honesty; a big deterance for me will be how many litters are produced in a year by a breeder. When and if I can ever get a puppy from a breeder, I want to ensure that the person I purchase from is working to better the breed and is careful in their breeding and evaluation of pups - not just producing litters to supply the demand. I'm very concerned with breeders who breed multiple litters a year when there are so many animals put to sleep each day and in shelters and rescues and retirees will eventually needs homes as well.

·
Registered
760 Posts
From my experience no. I don't think of breeders by the prices anymore. I think of breeders by how healthy the puppies are, parents etc. Prices really don't prove anything to me.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Tina,
That has nothing to do with why I asked if she was reputable, in no way.
No, I don't think prices have a thing to do with it, at least for me. I think you have gorgeous babies and your prices are fair and worth it for the beautiful babies you have.
Again, please don't think that is why I posted this question.
Andrea
Andrea,
I didn't think you did. You brought it up and it made me wonder. I have had people interested in a puppy and find out it is priced lower, then find out later they bought a pup of the same quality at twice the price. I am seeing this more than before, so I was just wondering what everyone's thought's on it were.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I imagine part of the public perception is the idea of "you get what you pay for"...I've had lovely dogs for relatively high prices and lovely dogs for less. Just depends on what you are looking for.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Tina, I will be completely honest and say that if I see an extremely low price for a puppy (of around 12wks), it does make me question why. Now, this is not to say that I wouldn't inquire further about the puppy and/or price, but I would probably wonder in my head if maybe the puppy was not close to the breed standard, or if there were some specific explanation of the lower price, etc. Seeing a very low price would make me look closer at the pedigrees & other areas of a breeder's website because I would initially be more weary.

I agree with Anne that you should charge a little bit more for some of your puppies. You have worked hard at showing, and I know you try and make healthy Maltese available to everyone with different price ranges, but I think you have earned the right to charge a little more if you so choose.

On the other hand, if I see a puppy with a price of $4000, I will look elsewhere because I think that is on the other extreme -- overcharging -- and I know some breeders have this God-complex thinking they are superior in the Maltese world, and I wouldn't give them the time of day. This is only my opinion. :)

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Thank you for your input. My vet told me several years ago to charge a certain amount, because if you didn't they wouldn't take care of it. I just know how hard it can be to come up with the $ to get a really nice Maltese. When I am buying a Maltese I am paying higher prices for breeding I think will improve on my breeding program. For me to charge those prices, I feel like I am taking something away from someone by asking prices that are high. Even with all the work invested in my breeding program.

I have a puppy inquiry I am working with now. Wants a show puppy. Wants it for pet price. I tell them the price for full registration and show price. Not that much more than pet price. He agrees with the price of the puppy. Now, he wants me to ship him the puppy for free. That in total cost to me is $290.00. A crate is $25.00 (walmart), pad to prevent banging around $10.00, veterinarian appointment and health certificate $60.00, airline ticket $160.00, (depending on which airline you use), and gas to and from the airport is around $30.00. Toll booth charges $6.00. I only charge $250.00 for doing it. I am going "what"? I am already giving him a break of $500 for the puppy. He will tell me no and buy a puppy from someone else for $2000.00. <Big Sigh> <shaking head>
I want him in a good home, but ...............

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Thank you for your input. My vet told me several years ago to charge a certain amount, because if you didn't they wouldn't take care of it. I just know how hard it can be to come up with the $ to get a really nice Maltese. When I am buying a Maltese I am paying higher prices for breeding I think will improve on my breeding program. For me to charge those prices, I feel like I am taking something away from someone by asking prices that are high. Even with all the work invested in my breeding program.

I have a puppy inquiry I am working with now. Wants a show puppy. Wants it for pet price. I tell them the price for full registration and show price. Not that much more than pet price. He agrees with the price of the puppy. Now, he wants me to ship him the puppy for free. That in total cost to me is $290.00. A crate is $25.00 (walmart), pad to prevent banging around $10.00, veterinarian appointment and health certificate $60.00, airline ticket $160.00, (depending on which airline you use), and gas to and from the airport is around $30.00. Toll booth charges $6.00. I only charge $250.00 for doing it. I am going "what"? I am already giving him a break of $500 for the puppy. He will tell me no and buy a puppy from someone else for $2000.00. <Big Sigh> <shaking head>
I want him in a good home, but ...............
Tina, you are so kind hearted and I can tell you only want what is best for the babies. No, price would never be a deciding factor for me. Not even initially in the equation.

As far as this specific situation that you are dealing with, boy that is really a tough one. In all probability the man can more then afford the cost of the shipping. Some folks, now that is just some, will want to bargain for anything and everything. A question would cross my mind with him, not that he could afford to take care of the little guy, but will he try to bargain for the cost of the pups care? I've actually see some folks in "real life" do this, they will "shop" for the lowest costing vet, instead of doing research for the best vet that specializes in small breeds, which in fact, their prices may be very reasonable. Asking you to ship the baby for free, I think is very unreasonable of him and really unfair of him to ask that of you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts