Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies, and gent's:
I need some tips to clean car carpet and ceiling. I just got my car on the road after a year of being a most garage, as well as before it went in I used to have a dog that I would bring to the beach all the time so there is a wet dog smell and hair inbedded in the carpet (pitbull, short hair). I've tryed so many things to get the hair and the wet dog smell out and nothing will work, and now there is the "moist" smell over top of the wet dog!!!! It is a very nice car and I want it to smell nice too. If anyone has so tips I would be very appreciative if you help me enjoy my car again. Oh, Jolie would love it too!! Thanx.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Ummm, get it professionally detailed? teehee. I don't like to clean. Can you tell?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Do you know anyone with a carpet cleaner? My parent's have Hoover carpet cleaner that has a hose attachment. It works really well with cleaning the carpet. I usually just park the car in the garage with the windows down over night and it is dry the next day. Otherwise if it is nice you could try cleaning it in the morning and leaving it outside with the windows down.

Have you tried febreeze?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I would have it professionnally cleaned at one of those detailing places, where they wash your car by hand. It's expensive but well worth it if it gets your smell out.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I agree with the detailing suggestion. However, if you don't want to go that route, I would suggest trying to tackle the cause of the odors. A musty smell can be caused by mildew or mold. Even though it doesn't feel wet, the car may have dampness. Take a bag of crystal cat litter (made of silica beads) and spread a layer on the carpet. It may take a couple of bags to do the entire car (and trunk). Let it sit over night to absorbe any moisture. Using a heavy duty shop type vacuum, vacuum up the litter. That should be enough to dry it out. As for the smell, use baking soda. Sprinkle a coating of baking soda on the carpet and let it sit for at least a few hours. Vacuum that up too. Then finally use a product such as Fabreeze to neutralize whatever else is left. If it still smells, then something else might be going on such as a leak in the window gaskets. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Charcoal will get rid of odors, too. You can keep it under the seats for long term control.

Febreze is good, though. I brought fresh shrimp back from the coast one weekend and the cooler leaked! You cannot imagine how my trunk stunk...stank....stinked! The febreze took care of it and even in the heat of the Texas summer, when I opened the trunk I could not detect any odor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts