Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to decide what to do w/ miss dixie's coat. I would like to try growning it long but worry about matting. I would appreciate any info from those whom have gone long and short. Was long a lot more work to maintain? Comparisons please. As always....thank you for the info.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I think for Malts that have gorgeous silky hair that doesn't mat, then long hair is great. If it is less than gorgeous hair then I like a puppy cut. However, Kallie has really nice hair but I still like her in a puppy cut. It is just totally no maintenance. Catcher has thick, soft, somewhat cottony hair and his does great in a short cut. I even cut their ears short... I love short hair!

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Nov 8 2005, 06:04 PM
I think for Malts that have gorgeous silky hair that doesn't mat, then long hair is great. If it is less than gorgeous hair then I like a puppy cut. However, Kallie has really nice hair but I still like her in a puppy cut. It is just totally no maintenance. Catcher has thick, soft, somewhat cottony hair and his does great in a short cut. I even cut their ears short... I love short hair!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118079
[/QUOTE]
I'm not really sure what type of hair we have. Sounds silly, I know. I have kept it short from the begining. I am thinking short is nice for girls so they can wear pretty necklaces.........

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I was keeping Lacey on the longer side but with work and the algebra class I am taking I broke down and had her cut super short. She loves it...and I don't have to mess with her as much. Once this college class is over I want to grow it out but I do have to admit it is so easy to take care of. Last night I gave her a bath and by the time I was ready to blowdry her she was almost dry. Lacey doesn't have great hair but she has pretty decent hair so it wasn't that hard to take care of but most nights I am doing homework and the other two nights a week I am doing a ton of homework.

·
Registered
776 Posts
You know what I'm doing? I'm growing his hair out all winter, and seeing how he looks long, and how much work it is... if it's too much work, I'll cut it.. but I think it's always worth just CHECKING to see what it's like to have a long-haired malt

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
I am going to grow Matilda's hair long. She has silky hair and it doesn't mat much. I do brush her daily and bath her once a week. I have noticed since we are in Arizona she gets dirty fast. I find little stickers in her hair so now I only walk her on the roads around the RV park and walk her on the canal. I made her little pink dog shoes that go with her harness, and she is in style. She loves all the attention. :

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
We have only had hair from the puppy stages up to adulthood at whatever the normal growth length was. Sassy has never been cut, but I do get tempted sometimes. My husband wants me to cut Sassy for next summer, we will see
You might try growing the coat. You can always cut it if you decide it is too much work. It is a great committment.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Nov 9 2005, 02:14 PM
We have only had hair from the puppy stages up to adulthood at whatever the normal growth length was. Sassy has never been cut, but I do get tempted sometimes. My husband wants me to cut Sassy for next summer, we will see
You might try growing the coat. You can always cut it if you decide it is too much work. It is a great committment.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118365
[/QUOTE]
She is beautiful!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Summer's hair is silky and about 3 1/2 to 4 in long right now.I'm thinking of cutting her for the winter. I know she'll get matted when we put her sweaters on
I just get so nervous letting someone clip her... SO back to ur question :lol: If she has good hair I say try letting it grow if it gets to hard to handle go for the puppy cut

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Theresa@Nov 9 2005, 05:34 PM
Summer's hair is silky and about 3 1/2 to 4 in long right now.I'm thinking of cutting her for the winter.  I know she'll get matted when we put her sweaters on
  I just get so nervous letting someone clip her... SO back to ur question :lol:  If she has good hair I say try letting it grow if it gets to hard to handle go for the puppy cut

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118420
[/QUOTE]
I have had the same thought regarding sweaters and matting. I think short is good for now. Maybe go long when the cold is over. It's just the opposite of most thinking, huh?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Nov 9 2005, 02:14 PM
[/QUOTE]

:eek: OMG, please don`t cut her hair. She is the perfect example o a well cared coat and a role model to all of us
I am sure she`d look super cute in a puppy cut but she has the most wonderful coat

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I like the look of the long coats, but I LOVE the puppy cut! I have kept Toby in a rather short cut since we have had him. I have tried a few times to grow him out, but I always go back to the puppy cut. I just love the way he looks when he is clipped. My husband likes the puppy cut as well. He says that when Toby's hair is longer, he looks "old." I let certain aspects of Toby's hair grow long, such as his tail hair and sometimes his topknot.

His topknot had grown to over three inches and just a few minutes ago, I cut it to a little over an inch long. I guess I just like the look of short and neat. LOL

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by mmo+Nov 9 2005, 06:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Sassy's mommy
@Nov 9 2005, 02:14 PM
:eek: OMG, please don`t cut her hair. She is the perfect example o a well cared coat and a role model to all of us
I am sure she`d look super cute in a puppy cut but she has the most wonderful coat

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118422
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ditto!! She has the coat we all envy.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I've had Bellas hair both ways, and she was cute with a puppy cut, but I just love her hair long. I think its worth the effort. I do the same thing with my own hair, i know shorter it would be a lot less of a hassle, but I like it long, I guess i'm transferring my hair dillemma onto Bella

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Rex's hair hasnt been down to the ground or anything yet, but it was getting pretty long when he got mats and had to be shaved. He is about the same length now as when he got shaved, and we arent having the mat problems this time around, I guess since he is past his puppy coat. We are going to let him grow all winter and then probably put him back in a puppy cut when it gets warm again. Rex is very sensitive to the hot weather, even inside with the a/c on, so I dont know if he will ever be able to have long hair year round. But that is okay with us, I just want him to be comfortable.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I need to add new pictures of Rudy.His coat is very long.It's almost to the floor on the sides.I love it long and have worked very hard to get it this lenght.Long coats take a lot of commitment of your part.I brush and comb Rudy daily.He gets a bath once a week.He has so many cute outfits but I dont like to put them on him for more that a hour or so at a time because he will mat very quickly.Even his life jacket becomes a problem out on the boat.If he's going to be wearing it for any period of time I remove it and brush him then put it back on.I also find that he's restricked on many fun things due to his coat.Like running in the yard this time of year.The dead leaves get all in his coat.He picks up everything as if he has glue on the tips of his hair.fresh cut grass does the same thing.It takes me 30 minutes or longer to get the dead leaves or grass out of the coat.This summer we were in Mexico and I took Rudy to the beach.I had no idea that tiny bures are all around the beach and by the time I went back to the Hotel my beautiful long hair baby was one big matted mess
.I had to soak him in cream rinse in the bath tub while picking the bures out of him.What a mess.Thats the down side of the long hair:On the up side:Well,they are just so beautiful in full coat.It also gives you and your baby that one on one time.Rudy loves it when he's all finished being groomed.He prisses around the house and wants everyone to knowest how beautiful he is and we all make such a fuss over him.I guess the best way to decide is to look at your life style.If you are the busy and or outdoorsy type then I would consider keeping it shortThey are beautiful dogs regardless of the length of coat. :D

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Bella looked lovely in long coat and I LOVE those gorgeous show coats....but short coat is so much easier and she actually seems happier and bouncier
to have it short. I do think since my arm is doing better I am going to grow out her ponytail....which should be a pain in the patootie to grow out without the hair in the eyes problem.
My husband ADORES her short coat cuz he can scruff her up with puppyrubs without me saying, "No, don't do that,
you'll make knots".

~carole and bella~

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Carole@Nov 12 2005, 04:29 PM
Bella looked lovely in long coat and I LOVE those gorgeous show coats....but short coat is so much easier and she actually seems happier and bouncier

to have it short.  I do think since my arm is doing better I am going to grow out her ponytail....which should be a pain in the patootie to grow out without  the hair in the eyes problem. 
  My husband ADORES her short coat cuz he can scruff her up with puppyrubs without me saying, "No, don't do that, 
  you'll make knots".

~carole and bella~
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119161
[/QUOTE]
beautiful picture of her!!!!!! I decided to keep it short for now. Purchased that gorgeous necklace from legally blonde. It might be incentive to keep it short
I am trying to grow the hair on top too. It takes forever. I can't wait for all the hair to fit into a clip. Well, that and for her to allow a clip to stay in for more than five minutes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts