Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Okay, what about tear staining!

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Theresa 
#1 ·
Okay, so is the best thing that anybody has found for tear stains?

#2 ·
You're gonna find many answers to this.

I know Tlunn uses desinex? but she has to wash it off everyday and reapply otherwise it'll look bad. I think she uses the Walmart brand which is exactly the same thing.

I like to use baby powder on their face after a bath. Reapply once a day or so. I like to use a packed brush like an eye shadow brush to apply it so it wont spread everywhere. I think JMM uses a powder brush...or it looks like it.

Some just wash their face with water everyday. Some use the rinseless shampoo spray and spray it on a towel.

That's all I can think of.

#4 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 18 2005, 02:18 PM
When the puppy is teething there isn't much you can do.  Wash there face once or twice a day with tearless shampoo and comb out the goobers.  Lexi doesn't have tear stains anymore but she does get the goobers still.  I just comb them out when I notice them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53850
[/QUOTE]

did lexi have tear stains as a puppy?

#5 ·
Hi! When we first got Angus (January), his tear stains were quite bad. I washed his face every day (just warm water) to keep them under control, but they were by no means gone. I also cut the hair around his eyes (partly to remove the stained hair and partly to keep the hair out of his eyes). You can see it in the photos attached.

About three weeks ago he lost two baby teeth (awww!
) and the tear staining has completely disappeared. I suspect it'll be back when he starts to lose the rest of his teeth, but at least I know that eventually, when he's finished teething/cutting his new teeth, it'll go away again. For now, boy is it nice not to have a stained face!

#6 ·
Originally posted by ourprettytessa+Apr 18 2005, 04:35 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Apr 18 2005, 02:18 PM
When the puppy is teething there isn't much you can do.  Wash there face once or twice a day with tearless shampoo and comb out the goobers.  Lexi doesn't have tear stains anymore but she does get the goobers still.  I just comb them out when I notice them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53859
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah she did but they went away when she was done teething. I also keep the hair around her eyes cut. That seems to help a lot. I use a small scissors with rounded tips to cut the hair. It is like the one on the far left. I got it at PetSmart.

#7 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Apr 19 2005, 10:15 AM-->
Originally posted by ourprettytessa@Apr 18 2005, 04:35 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Apr 18 2005, 02:18 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53859

[/QUOTE]

Yeah she did but they went away when she was done teething. I also keep the hair around her eyes cut. That seems to help a lot. I use a small scissors with rounded tips to cut the hair. It is like the one on the far left. I got it at PetSmart.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54093
[/B][/QUOTE]

I definitely second the scissors with the rounded tips -- I cannot imagine taking a regular pair of scissors to the eye area! My little guy is a total wiggler when you least expect it. He'll sit good as gold for the longest time, and then just decide he's had enough and try to bolt. I wouldn't want to have anything sharp around his eyes when he does that! :eek:

#8 ·
I bought a pair of baby scissors. They work real well. One thing I figured out today was, it is easier to cut the hair when it is dry. I would always clean their eyes and comb out the boogers then I would try to trim a little. Well today for some reason I decided to cut before I washed. It was so much easier to cut and to get the right amount. Duh! I can't believe it took me almost a year to discover that!

#9 ·
Originally posted by maltsmom@Apr 19 2005, 02:58 PM
I bought a pair of baby scissors.  They work real well.  One thing I figured out today was, it is easier to cut the hair when it is dry.  I would always clean their eyes and comb out the boogers then I would try to trim a little.  Well today for some reason I decided to cut before I washed.  It was so much easier to cut and to get the right amount.  Duh!  I can't believe it took me almost a year to discover that!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54192
[/QUOTE]

That's funny! Well, at least you got it!

#10 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 18 2005, 02:18 PM
[/QUOTE]

ur so lucky..... -_- She got such a white face.

#11 ·
Originally posted by treasures_cherished@Apr 18 2005, 01:09 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53844
[/QUOTE]

I attended a pet expo the other week and discovered a product called eye envy which is supposed to take care of tear staining. I've been using it for about aweek now and have seen improvements. They are not completly gone yet but have lightened up quite a bit. Hope this helps......

#12 ·
Originally posted by g1enda1e+Apr 29 2005, 10:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-treasures_cherished
@Apr 18 2005, 01:09 PM

I attended a pet expo the other week and discovered a product called eye envy which is supposed to take care of tear staining. I've been using it for about aweek now and have seen improvements. They are not completly gone yet but have lightened up quite a bit. Hope this helps......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58226
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people on here used to use eye envy, I dont know how many do anymore though. Thats the stuff you have to keep in the fridg right?...I have never used it.

I just use the cheap crystal eye stuff just put some on and in a few hours the stain will have faded my vet explained the chemistry of it to me once dont remember exactly how ti works though....actully I havnt used it in a long time just been wiping his face off every so often, been way to busy to worry about tear staining lately lol.

#14 ·
Originally posted by Lilly521+Apr 29 2005, 09:16 PM-->
Originally posted by g1enda1e@Apr 29 2005, 10:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-treasures_cherished
@Apr 18 2005, 01:09 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58226

[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people on here used to use eye envy, I dont know how many do anymore though. Thats the stuff you have to keep in the fridg right?...I have never used it.

I just use the cheap crystal eye stuff just put some on and in a few hours the stain will have faded my vet explained the chemistry of it to me once dont remember exactly how ti works though....actully I havnt used it in a long time just been wiping his face off every so often, been way to busy to worry about tear staining lately lol.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58239
[/B][/QUOTE]
Hi What is crystal eyes? never heard of that one. Summer has bad tearing have tried the eye envy
didn't seem to do much I know she still has baby teeth hoping thats it. Even changed her food to blue baffalo she seems to have a iching problem hope this will help we do the stainless steel bowl and distilled water now to ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.