Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
OK... here goes..... From late 50s to early 60s.......

We had telephones that had rotary dials on them and the phones were permanently attached to the wall. The phones were owned by the phone company. And there was only one phone company in each area... ours was Southern Bell.

Long distance calls were very expensive to make and you didn't make them unless it was for a very important reason.

There were no malls or shopping centers. We shopped downtown and we always dressed up.

We wore Villager dresses with coordinating sweaters and Weejun loafers. No copycat brands would do.

We bought 78 rpm records... that came in red or yellow and had a tiny hole in the middle.

The hair-do of the moment consisted of wearing a little clip-on bow in the area between our bangs and rest of our hair.

There was nothing like a new pair of saddle shoes that were all clean and white. And we wore them with "Bobby Socks".

My first pair of "high" heels were called "French heels".

My favorite movie star was Sandra Dee.

Ahhhhh..... the good ole days...... :D

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Yes, I remember playing in the streets... kick the can, especially. And the only air conditioner in the house was in my parent's bedroom, so if my room was warm, my mom, bless her heart, would fan me with a paper fan until I fell asleep!

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Scoobydoo, I know what you mean... I remember that the movie "A Summer Place" was considered a bit risque at the time. My mother and I saw it together and I was sooo embarrassed. I remember someone said the word "bra" in the movie and my mother commented, "They'll say anything in movies these days."!!

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by scrappy@Jun 29 2005, 10:23 AM
Awwwwww Sandra Dee and Frankie Avalon *sigh* Oh those were the days my friends 

Annette Funechelo (sp) on the Mickey Mouse Club Oh, my! The memories you are all stirring up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76187
[/QUOTE]

Annette was my favorite on the Mickey Mouse Club, which I watched religiously. And then later the Frankie and Annette movies. THE Best!!

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Jun 29 2005, 10:26 AM
Oh Bren you are so right and I think I had a huge crush on Fabian back then too, I was a member of the Adelaide based TAA junoir flyers Club too and the Channel Niners, and I remember racing home from school to watch the Mickey Mouse club and I can still remember the opening song as if it were still on today.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76190
[/QUOTE]

I was a huge Fabian fan, too. I was president of one of his fan clubs!!

Also, a Paul Anka fan. My dad got tickets to the Dick Clark Caravan of Stars show at our Coliseum and took a friend and me. We were on the front row.... Paul Anka was the headliner and I was in total heaven... screaming with the rest of the fans.... I still have the pictures!

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by scrappy@Jun 29 2005, 10:39 AM
Paul Anka that was who I was trying to think of.  Oh K/C you are going to have to scan those pics into here PLEASE!! :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76193
[/QUOTE]

They are grainy Bl/W but I will try... I don't have a scanner but will see if I can get someone to help me.... I have the program from the event and it is in great shape... I will try to get that scanned, too.....

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by paris@Jun 29 2005, 11:35 AM
I can remember the rotary dialed telephone.  I was just a kid but I remember we also had a party line.  My brothers and I would try to pick the phone up and listen in on other people's calls.  Almost always got caught.  I can remember we would also ride our bicycles all over the neighbor and not come in until after dark.  Nothing to worry about in those days.  We had air conditioning but we also had an attic fan in the hallway.  That was so neat going to sleep with the windows open and the attic fan on.  We didn't get a color television until 1967.  And can you believe it...it DID NOT have a remote!  No worries back then....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76211
[/QUOTE]

Yes, we had an attic fan, too, in the house that didn't have A/C. We finally got central A/C when we moved in 1962. It was probably 1970 before I had a TV with remote. Oh yes.... I remember party lines!! I had forgotten about that. We had one for a short time and I remember being very interested in wanting to listen in!

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by Snertsmom@Jul 1 2005, 12:46 AM
And the candy cigarettes, little parafin  bottles with sweet liquid in them, and 'Nehi" soda pop?
Ok, your
  turn.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76762
[/QUOTE]

YES! I remember the candy cigs and the little "coke" bottles that had the sweet liquid in them. There was a little candy store around the corner and it was such fun going in there to get that stuff. Plus licorice strings and the wax lips.

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Yes, I remember we had a "milk man" who delivered milk in bottles and we'd put the empty bottles out the night before for him to pick up when he delivered.

We had five-digit telephone numbers... Ours was 51867 and my best friend's was 28863 .... How is it that I remember that!!

I remember if I had a tummy ache I would get Perigoric, which is made from opium! I don't think it is available any more. It tasted horrible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.