Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

441 - 449 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #441 (Edited)
He is eating 1/2 of the RC GI wet food mixed with 1/2 Zignature Duck.

I followed up with the vet this morning. Oliver has been fine ever since last night. Just the little red vomit and nothing since. He said I can give him rice with a tiny bit of food mixed in this morning and offer it to him through out the day adding increasing amounts of his food. He said he should be able to back to eating food without rice tomorrow.

He really hates the rice. I tried to add a little low-sodium chicken broth but he still thought it was gross. He just picked out the 3 or 4 kibble pieces I had sprinkled on top & walked off.

I asked the vet if he was concerned, if he thought it was from the peroxide. He said he was confident that was all it was. He said dogs have a more sensitive stomach. That just a bout of vomiting can cause bleeding. The peroxide only made it more likely to happen.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If he ever needs a bland diet again you can substitute cooked sweet potato instead of rice. My vet has us do that since rice is inflammatory and my dog just likes it better anyway. Just make sure it isn't canned sweet potato.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
If he ever needs a bland diet again you can substitute cooked sweet potato instead of rice. My vet has us do that since rice is inflammatory and my dog just likes it better anyway. Just make sure it isn't canned sweet potato.
Sweet potato was one of the main ingredients in the food he has an intolerance to. I don't want to risk added tummy upset. The food he can't have is Salmon, sweet potato & pumpkin. The GI food that he does well on has salmon & rice. That leads me to believe it might be the sweet potato or pumpkin causing the loose stool.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am wondering how Oliver is now? I sure hope he's ok.

I am a bit worried about Cupid my 13 week baby. He's been just moping around the house today and kind of acting like dogs do when they have poop stuck to their butt. A couple of times this morning he whined. He is pooping and peeing fine and eating but not playing at all. I'm wondering if he's had too many chew treats like dream bones or greenies or charlee Bears. I've been giving to him to keep him from chewing other things. Just a few mins ago I noticed on the potty pad some red gellish blood with the stool. I can pick him up and manipulate him with no problems but he is sitting and laying in odd positions and doesn't seem comfortable sometimes. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I am wondering how Oliver is now? I sure hope he's ok.

I am a bit worried about Cupid my 13 week baby. He's been just moping around the house today and kind of acting like dogs do when they have poop stuck to their butt. A couple of times this morning he whined. He is pooping and peeing fine and eating but not playing at all. I'm wondering if he's had too many chew treats like dream bones or greenies or charlee Bears. I've been giving to him to keep him from chewing other things. Just a few mins ago I noticed on the potty pad some red gellish blood with the stool. I can pick him up and manipulate him with no problems but he is sitting and laying in odd positions and doesn't seem comfortable sometimes. Any ideas?
You may want to start a new thread for this :) but honestly a 13 week old is pretty small, and can go downhill fast. Bloody mucous in stool is a cause for concern and I think a vet visit is in order. I do think much of those treats are not a good idea, I would get a bone that Cupid doesn't ingest, just chews.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This sounds exactly like what Cupid he had for quite a while after we first got him! We had about $1000 worth of test run. They could not find the culprit. They did put him on antibiotics and a wormer just to be safe even though he tested negative. They even gave him a pink liquid that was called liquid bandage or something to stop the bleeding. It eventually just went away, no more blood in the stool - no more vomiting.

441 - 449 of 449 Posts