Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really getting old....this time Ollie has deer ticks around his muzzle and neck. He's going to the groomer tomorrow for a flea and tick bath. The ticks are dead as far as I know, but I'm not able to comb them out. Do any of you know of something to put on our fluffs to help keep the ticks from even getting on them? I feel so sorry for him. :crying:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Spookie is on Confortis, doesn't have fleas or ticks. I take her to the dog park frequently. No bugs.

Does he go places that might be buggy? Do you treat your yard? Keep the grass trimmed, brush cleared, no wood piles? Are you sure the ticks on him are dead? Hey are very hard to pull off, use tweezers, or smother with Vasoline

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He only wants to use the bathroom when he is a little bit in the woods and we have two racks of wood. He's on Advantix, but I'm going to change to Frontline after his next application of Advantix....don't want to throw the last tube away. These ticks are so small I don't think it would be possible to get ahold of them with tweezers. If the groomer isn't able to get them all off, I'll try a bit of vasoline. I'll look up Confortis.

·
Premium Member
17,468 Posts
I use neem oil, citronella oil & tea tree oil in his moisturizer---also when I go out at night a bio collar w/neem oil & citronella & royal penny. We have had no fleas or ticks---we have the big brown ones here. I do this every wk. sometimes earlier than 7 days IF he is really dirty. He is walked every day. He also sleeps under a mosquito net.
We have a fountain outside & lots of plants so I add neem oil if there is any kind of standing water to keep mosquitos from breeding---I know in the US they have other options.
We alternate between frontline & stronghold on our big, fat cat! She is okay w/it.
Hope you find something that works for a while, as deer ticks are nasty little critters---causing lyme disease.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
We fought ticks the last two seasons and this spring it was pretty bad. I know Mary H (in MA) was also fighting ticks in her area. I'm going to be honest with you - Hunter is on frontline and he gets an annual lyme disease booster but even with the frontline we still had ticks on him and were spending at least 15 minutes each night doing very thorough tick check before bed. However, this spring we switched his food to one with a little bit more garlic in it and since April haven't seen a tick on him. Nothing else about his life has changed. Our yard is the same, treats are the same, time spent outside is the same, etc. I honestly believe that the garlic in his food is helping to keep the ticks from jumping on. I did read here on SM that garlic is a natural tick repellant.

Another thing you might do is create a designated potty area near the edge of the woods but not in the woods and rake all the leaves away from that area and keep the grass trimmed. He will go if he has to I promise you, you just have to be consistant with the place you take him to go and not letting him go into the woods to do his business.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your suggestions! Ollie is at the groomer today for daycare and bathing....she will get off the ticks!! I have sprayed the yard where he goes most of the time with Adams Flea and Tick. Need to get my husband to mow the area again. Also have started him on Brewers Yeast and Garlic tablets. Hope this works as good as the food with garlic!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ollie is at the groomer again playing while I put out bug killer in our yard. I could not believe he came in this morning with more ticks....hubby showed me where he went in the yard so now we know where to stay away from for a few days. I so hope the bug killer works.

·
Registered
268 Posts
goodness! Poor Ollie.

That's brutal having to do tick watch on top of everything else as well. I'm not a bug person at all...so picking out those ticks would be purely out of love for my fluff...and pretty brutal.

I hope Ollie will win over the ticks and not provide them with free room and board anymore! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts