Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure what is going on, but I am very worried and scared! Last night we came home from a few hours away from the house. We had stopped in the petstore and bought the doggies a few new toys. Ponyo went straight for the ball w/ soft little spikes on it, so she could grasp it easier! =)
We played fetch (yup, my baby already knows how to play fetch!) After about 10 min's, I rolled the ball again and on her way to get it, she fell over and went into a seizure. I freaked out and couldent watch, so I made my husband get her and cradle her untill she came out. (My mom has epilepsy, so I knew right away what was going on) I called the emergency vet RIGHT away and basically told me to keep a eye on her (I dident sleep all night!) and bring her in if she had another one in the night, or in the next few weeks!
I am posting this before reading much on it, but im going to learn as much as I can and PRAY and HOPE this NEVER happenes again!
Please send good, healthy vibes Ponyo's way :wub:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Oh my ! Your poor baby! I hope she is alright but I would absolutely take her to the vet and have them check her out. How was her behaviour right after the seizure? I hope she will be okay.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Oh no! I hope this was just a one time strange occurrence and Ponyo goes back to being her healthy self. How is she doing now?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OMG again! I JUST read the Rosemary and seizure post and im in TEARS!!! We were gone for hours yesterday, so I closed off Ponyo in the kitchen area, w/ her kennel, bed, toy and two Eukenuba dog snacks! THE ONES WITH ROSEMARY in them!!!!!
Just wanted to update, but im in shock.........(yes, she is acting he happy self this morning! We just got up, its 8am in Japan =)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
OMG again! I JUST read the Rosemary and seizure post and im in TEARS!!! We were gone for hours yesterday, so I closed off Ponyo in the kitchen area, w/ her kennel, bed, toy and two Eukenuba dog snacks! THE ONES WITH ROSEMARY in them!!!!!
Just wanted to update, but im in shock.........(yes, she is acting he happy self this morning! We just got up, its 8am in Japan =)

Rosemary extract is the very last ingredient in the Eukenuba dog snacks. It is very unlikely that Ponyo's seizure was caused by that. She needs to be checked by the vet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the snacks I gave her, it was a middle ingredient. But thank you! I have talked to the vet twice and basically said there was not much to do unless she has another. So I hope it was from the snacks and it never happens again!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I agree that she should be checked by the vet. Basic labwork and a pre- and post-prandial bile acid assay are good to do on a pup anyways...but a really good idea to rule out a serious problem now.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Young pups need to eat often, especially if they are small for their age. It may have been the rosemary or it might have been from a blood sugar drop...or something underlying. I hope it was a one time event. :)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Rosemary is very high amounts can cause a seizure in dogs with low seizure thresholds (epileptics). It will not cause a seizure in a healthy dog.

Since he is just a puppy and you were away for a few hours, I'd suspect hypoglycemia. Exercise (ten minutes of playing fetch) on an empty stomach could have triggered it.

Toy Breed Hypoglycemia

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I should add, she is got her shots a few days ago, and she is on antibiotics. About a hour or two before her seizure, she ate (she is on a raw diet) and drank. Im not sure if that would rule anyhting out!?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Vaccinations can lower the seizure threshold.

As your vet said, there really isn't anything to be done now. If Ponyo has another one, they will probably advise testing, especially a bile acids test.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I hope Ponyo is doing alright. Its so scary when something goes wrong with these little dogs. I agree I'd have her checked out by the vet, its better to be safe.
Hugs to Ponyo :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Awww I hope Ponyo is/will be alright. Praying for her.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I assume you will be having her spayed in a couple of months? Make sure you get complete bloodwork and a bile acid test done beforehand. That will alert your vet to anything that may be going on. Pre op bloodwork is always recommended before anesthesia anyway.

Of course, if Ponyo has another seizure before then, I'd get all that done earlier.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
What vaccinations did Ponyo have? Combo shots (especially those with lepto and/or corona) can cause serious reactions. Rabies should never be given at the same time the distemper combo is given.

How to Avoid Vaccination Reactions in Dogs | Truth4Dogs

I would really recommend the book Scared Poopless. It's a must have for all dog owners, but especially Maltese owners. It is a wonderful read!

If you buy it from Northcentral Maltese Rescue, the profits go the rescue.

http://malteserescue.homestead.com/MaltShopPages/BookScaredPoopless.html

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Actually, rosemary can cause seizures in dogs who are not epileptic. I've personally seen it in dogs. One ate treats with a higher content of rosemary, one had food with rosemary for several weeks and the seizures grew worse. When the food was removed the seizures lessened and stopped within two weeks completely. Neither dogs had a history of epilepsy and no signs of it since.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts