Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am watching Good Morning American and they are talking about this. The witness says that the car slowed down to about 5mph and just tossed the baby out the car. It was a brand new baby(still has the cord attached). If you don't want your baby...my God...give it up for adoption, take it to a safe place, don't just throw it out the door(literally!)
This happened in Florida.

Here's the newsbite

(CNN) -- A newborn baby boy who was tossed from a moving vehicle Thursday in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, is in remarkably good shape, authorities say.

First hospitalized in critical condition, the Broward Sheriff's Office said the baby is continuing to improve and was in serious condition late Thursday.

A woman who brought the baby to police told the Broward Sheriff's Office that she was driving about 2:30 p.m. in a residential area in northern Fort Lauderdale when she saw a man and a woman who appeared to be in their late teens or early 20s arguing in a car. The car slowed to about 5 miles an hour and a bundle flew out of the window and landed about three feet away on grass by the road, she said.

She saw movement and stopped, expecting to find puppies or kittens. Instead, she found a tiny baby boy.

"The baby had a plastic bag over its head," said Broward County Sheriff Ken Jenne, "a plastic bag like from a food store ... wrapped around the head of the baby." He said the umbilical cord was still attached.

The baby was flown via helicopter to Broward Medical Center in critical condition but "was later upgraded to serious and continues to improve" in the hospital's neonatal care unit, according to a statement from the Broward Sheriff's Office.

Police spokeswoman Cheryl Stopnick said the newborn baby boy weighs 8 pounds, 2 ounces.

"We are asking the mother to come in and talk with us. ... We'd like to have a thorough discussion with the mother and father," Jenne said.

Authorities have released a description of the couple in the car and are asking for the public's help in finding them.

According to the Broward Sheriff's Office: "Just prior to the newborn being tossed out of the car, the female witness observed the black male driver with an Afro hairstyle and white female passenger with braids arguing." They were in an older model white car, perhaps a Ford Crown Victoria.

While lamenting that a parent would do such a thing to an infant, Jenne said, "The good news is that we have a human being ... someone in this community who has the heart and soul to pick up a baby and save it."

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
WT*#&$...Sometimes I really hate people!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I heard about that on the news last night. I don't know how someone could do that. Luckily it sounds like he is doing very well. Poor little guy!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Bless that baby's little heart- give him to us and we'd provide a the best loving home (not comparing to any of you) that he would ever have.

Burns me up to know that a grown human being can do something like that to anything... human or not. That is down right pathetic. They do not need to have children, and I hope that they are blessed with the inability to conceive in the future, and I hope that the child finds a very loving home.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I heard that this morning too! Just sick!
Some time back, in Tennessee, we had two parents that slit the baby's throat...it lived...the court case is still in the news occasionally and when I hear them say, "slit the baby's throat"...it just makes my stomach turn. I cannot even imagine this kind of people having a heart or concience! -_-

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I know! There are so many other options, why did they have to do that. I hope they catch them. That is so cruel. He was less then an hour old!!! What a way to start your life.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I bet they didn't want their parents to know so they thought giving the baby up for adoption would expose to everyone they knew that they had a baby.
Of course I am not saying what they did was right. I almost threw up when I read this thread. How could anyone throw a child out of a moving car or slit their baby’s throat!? Even if that woman did find puppies or kittens I would have been sickened. What has this world come to?
There needs to be more education out there for safe sex and abstinence. And then there also needs to be information for people that feel there is no other option than to kill their babies so no one finds out. They need to know that they can give them up anonymously and not get in trouble for it. There needs to be better laws. Not in every state can you just leave a baby at a hospital or police station. It should be everywhere that you can do that.
I hope the mother and/or the father comes forward. It's going to be bad on them but I think it will be worse if they don't come forward and someone turns them in. It's only a matter of time since there was a witness that gave a description of them and the car.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Florida has a Safe Haven law. They could have taken the baby to any hospital, EMS station, or fire station. They could have remained anonymous

Infant's Age
Statute: § 383.50
3 days old or younger

Who May Relinquish the Infant
Parent

Who May Receive the Infant

Hospital
Emergency medical service station
Fire station

Responsibilities of the Safe Haven Provider

Provide needed medical care
Contact local child-placing agency
Make a report if abuse or neglect is suspected

Immunity for the Provider
Yes

Protection for Relinquishing Parent

Parent has absolute right to remain anonymous
Immunity from prosecution if there is no abuse or neglect

Effect on Parental Rights

Presumption that parent has consented to termination of parental rights
May reclaim child any time prior to termination[/B]

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I do not know what comes over people that they lose all sense of right and wrong. How could people be so heartless? Thank goodness that someone was right there to help that poor little boy. It is really a sick, sick world we live in. I hope they charge them with attempted murder along with child endangerment, abuse and whatever else they can think up. Neither of them should see the light of day.

Now for a minute on my soapbox...in this country, we treat our children (under the eyes of the law) with less protection that our posessions. For instance, it is a Federal offense to "car-jack" someone using a weapon. But kidnapping a child using a weapon only becomes a Federal offense if the child is taken across state lines. Aren't children more valuable than our cars? I don't have a problem with the car-jacking law, and I do not think it should be changed. I do think that kidnapping a child using a weapon should be a Federal offense with mandatory life sentencing. Ok, stepping down now.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Feb 11 2005, 10:04 AM
Florida has a Safe Haven law.  They could have taken the baby to any hospital, EMS station, or fire station.  They could have remained anonymous

Infant's Age
3 days old or younger

Who May Relinquish the Infant
Parent

Who May Receive the Infant

Hospital
Emergency medical service station
Fire station

Responsibilities of the Safe Haven Provider

Provide needed medical care
Contact local child-placing agency
Make a report if abuse or neglect is suspected

Immunity for the Provider
Yes

Protection for Relinquishing Parent

Parent has absolute right to remain anonymous
Immunity from prosecution if there is no abuse or neglect

Effect on Parental Rights

Presumption that parent has consented to termination of parental rights
May reclaim child any time prior to termination
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34758
[/B][/QUOTE]

That is SO sad that they could have "dropped" the baby off at one of these places and remained anonymous...and yet they chose to basically throw it away like unwanted garbage!!! SICK!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Just came across CNN, they have found the mother of this poor little baby........they are "waiting for an admission of birth".

J

·
0 Posts
I heard this morning. Thank goodness the baby boy is fine. I am trying to look at this as a blessing in disguise...baby boy will be adopted by a couple who want a family and will take care and love this boy. This little boy will not have to be with a woman who just tosses him out a window. If she can do this horrible thing what else is she capable of?!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I just saw that, and Florida has a safe haven program!! There is just NO excuse for something like this to happen. And my poor sister lost her 1st little girl when she was just 23 hours old, her second pregnancy ended in a miscarriage and she has NEVER been able to get PG again. They waited over 2 years to adopt and thank God now have a beautiful baby girl Gracie......

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
More then likely they won't be able to charge her with abandonment because she did turn him in at a hospital. They will be able to get her for filing a false police report though. She says she did it because she didn't want her family to know she had a baby. Come on! She is 38 freaking years old!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts