Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

One eye is really ***** and the other isnt at all

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Ladysmom 
#1 ·
Alright i guess this is about tearstaining but i am kinda worried about one of sunny's eyes not just cosmeticly. Anyways his tearstaining almost totally went away he just had a little but one his right eye, well i ran out of the food i was feeding him so i figured i would finish up a bag a science diet i had from before we switched well the staining came back so i got the other food again and it all cleared up in his left eye but its not getting better at all in his right eye, it actully looks worse. I know tearstaining is mostly a cosmetic thing but should i be worried if i am seeing a change that drastict within just a few weeks? its still like normal color staining (dark brownish color) not like green or anything nasty like that, and if i put the tearstain cleaner on it the hair will clean up but i still i am kinda worried so be seeing such a huge change so fast, and only in one eye

Sunny is 8 months old if that makes any difference

#7 ·
#8 ·
Originally posted by Lilly521@Mar 4 2005, 11:16 PM
I had conjunctivitus like 2 weeks ago do you think he might have gotten it? like i said its normal color for tearstaining but i just thought of that
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40117
[/QUOTE]
if u pull his lower lid down it is pink are dark pink/red?

#9 ·
Lacey had that...her left eye was all goopy. Took her to the vet and she had an ear infection...both ears were infected but the left was much worse than the right. Had to put medication into her ears for 10 days for the ear infection. When we were done both eyes were clear. About a month ago I noticed tear staining and goopy stuff in the corner of her eyes so I took her back to the vet and she had another ear infection. When Lacey gets tearstaining I know she has an ear infection. For the past month she has had tearstaining...vet gave her a different medication and guess what? It didn't work so she is back on the original medication that worked the first time.

#10 ·
Originally posted by LadyMontava+Mar 5 2005, 12:41 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Mar 4 2005, 11:16 PM
I had conjunctivitus like 2 weeks ago do you think he might have gotten it? like i said its normal color for tearstaining but i just thought of that
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40117
if u pull his lower lid down it is pink are dark pink/red?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40135
[/B][/QUOTE]

Nope his eyes look normal

#11 ·
i didnt mean if his eyes looked red. i mean the eye lid tissue when u pull the lid down...what color is it?

#13 ·
nope thats perfect...that's the conjunctiva...thats how u check for conjunctivitis. if it is dark pink or red, then it is inflammed. so that doesnt sound like the prob. how are his ears? like lacey's mom mentioned..could have an ear infection. do they have an odor? any debris/wax/crusties? is it red?

#14 ·
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Mar 5 2005, 03:56 PM
nope thats perfect...that's the conjunctiva...thats how u check for conjunctivitis.  if it is dark pink or red, then it is inflammed.  so that doesnt sound like the prob.  how are his ears?  like lacey's mom mentioned..could have an ear infection.  do they have an odor?  any debris/wax/crusties?  is it red?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40250
[/QUOTE]

Nope his ears look good, mabe its just a hair poking him in that eye only or something little like that....i dont mind the cleaning his face i just wanted to make sure it wasnt a real proublem.

#15 ·
sounds fine then! if u see him shaking his head a lot then u might still want to think about the ears. other wise it is just that pesky tearstaining we all struggle with.

#17 ·
I'm wondering if it might be allergies that is causing the runny eye. Science Diet has both wheat and corn which are the "big 2" for allergic reactions in dogs. Since you noticed when you started feeding the SD, I'll bet that's it.

My Lady is allergic to both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.