Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh mann... I saw a flea on kodie so I picked it off (this is only the second time I have ever seen a flea on him)... anyway... the stupid flea jumped and I lost it somewhere in my room!! What do I do.... Will one flea lay eggs???? HELP!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Don't know much about fleas, only that they are a pain in the butt!!

I just gave Puddles a bath (been camping) since he's been scratching, used flea shampoo. OMG....I found 5 large fleas, which means, more baby fleas. :eek: In 4 days will put his flea drops on even if it's not been a full month. He was given a bath a week ago and didn't see one flea.......grrrrrrrrrr......even had my glasses on.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Oct 15 2005, 10:49 AM
Oh mann... I saw a flea on kodie so I picked it off (this is only the second time I have ever seen a flea on him)... anyway... the stupid flea jumped and I lost it somewhere in my room!!  What do I do.... Will one flea lay eggs????  HELP!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110009
[/QUOTE]
I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know I empathize with you. When I see a flea on Belle I go nuts. Since I have put her on Advantage I have only found dead fleas. After she played with grandaughter's new puppy one time she had 3 dead fleas the next day when I combed her. Do you keep Kodie on Advantage or something similiar? Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke@Oct 15 2005, 02:51 PM
I don't know either but I'd buy a cheap flea collar and cut a piece off and put in your vacuum bag....couldn't hurt. Maybe will be lucky and it was a male (only females lay eggs right?) I had one do that too.  They are really hard to crush in your fingers, the little beasts!   
  Now if I see a rare one on them when come in from outside, I get it between my fingers and take to sink and "flush" it down with water.....drown you little bas****! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110019
[/QUOTE]

LOL!! I have a tip about the crushing... Get it between the back of your 2 thumb nails and SQUASH! When you've heard the sucker pop, he's dead! LOL

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke+Oct 15 2005, 04:10 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2005, 03:03 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Msloke
@Oct 15 2005, 02:51 PM
I don't know either but I'd buy a cheap flea collar and cut a piece off and put in your vacuum bag....couldn't hurt. Maybe will be lucky and it was a male (only females lay eggs right?) I had one do that too.  They are really hard to crush in your fingers, the little beasts!   
   Now if I see a rare one on them when come in from outside, I get it between my fingers and take to sink and "flush" it down with water.....drown you little bas****! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110019

LOL!! I have a tip about the crushing... Get it between the back of your 2 thumb nails and SQUASH! When you've heard the sucker pop, he's dead! LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110036

[/QUOTE]
Good one, but everytime I try to check to make sure I have it, darn thing jumps! I can just see myself trying to get it between backs of thumbnails....now hold still little flea while I get you in position to crush the cr** out of you.
The only good flea is a dead flea.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110037
[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL!!!
Yeah, they are hard to catch!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about one flea if Kodie is on Frontline Plus or a similar product. The flea won't last long without jumping back onto Kodie...and when he does, the flea meds will get him. But as a precaution...wash all Kodie's bedding in hot water/dry on hot heat, vacuum all rugs and floors, sofas and upholstery including drapes.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I hate fleas too!!! My parents' cats are indoor-outdoor, and even though they are on advantage, sometimes they bring one in for a few minutes before it dies -- and I've seen a few on Jack during a bath... One flea each time. They were always almost dead, but I still killed them.. He's on Advantix

The best way I've found to kill the fleas, is to pull them in half with your fingernails against the pad of your other finger -- a half-flea is definitely dead

(and then go wash your hands, ick)

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
That's really weird...I remember posting a reply to this, but I don't see it posted!

Anyway, I basically said to wash your bedding, etc. in hot soapy water and to vacuum your room with a flea collar in the bag.

I also said that I think fleas only lay eggs on warm bodies, but I would be wrong.

Also, the flea you saw may not even be pregnant or it may have been a male.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 16 2005, 01:51 PM
That's really weird...I remember posting a reply to this, but I don't see it posted! 

Anyway, I basically said to wash your bedding, etc. in hot soapy water and to vacuum your room with a flea collar in the bag. 

I also said that I think fleas only lay eggs on warm bodies, but I would be wrong.

Also, the flea you saw may not even be pregnant or it may have been a male. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110239
[/QUOTE]
well I did everything you suggested except the flea collar in the vacuum bag. I gave kodie a bath with flea stuff... and when i was drying him i saw a FLEA! I grab it and threw it outside cause i didnt know if i killed it when i smashed it. Now... maybe its the same flea as before and it jumped back on Kodie... cause Kodie basically lives in my room. OR its a NEW flea!!
I have been checking him consistantly and I dont see any more.... i'm getting nervous... I hope I dont have a flea problem. My parents will kill me. Kodie barely goes outside too...

anyway.. i did vacuum... changed my bed sheets... and cleaned up my whole room.

My poor Kodie...

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Do you have Kodie on a flea preventative? If not, you will probably end up with a flea problem. Just that one flea that hitchhikes a ride is all it takes......

They don't have to go outside to get fleas either. Fleas come in through screens, even on your pant legs. Thsi is the worst time of the year for them, too, when the weather starts getting cold. They are desperate for a host.

Since Kodie is so small and has liver disease, he'd do great with Frontline spray. That's what I use on Lady since she has seizures. It was recommedend on the canine epilepsy board as the safest out there. You can control the amount you use (I only use about 1/2 of what it calls for on Lady) and I put it on a cosmetic puff and rub it around so there isn't one spot of concentrated pesticide. I can even use the same stuff on my cats.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 17 2005, 11:28 AM
Do you have Kodie on a flea preventative? If not, you will probably end up with a flea problem. Just that one flea that hitchhikes a ride is all it takes......

They don't have to go outside to get fleas either. Fleas come in through screens, even on your pant legs. Thsi is the worst time of the year for them, too, when the weather starts getting cold. They are desperate for a host.

Since Kodie is so small and has liver disease, he'd do great with Frontline spray. That's what I use on Lady since she has seizures. It was recommedend on the canine epilepsy board as the safest out there. You can control the amount you use (I only use about 1/2 of what it calls for on Lady) and I put it on a cosmetic puff and rub it around so there isn't one spot of concentrated pesticide. I can even use the same stuff on my cats.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110508
[/QUOTE]
Do you have a link to where i can get it?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 17 2005, 10:28 AM

[/QUOTE]

Marj,

This sounds really interesting. I would like to know more about the spray option of Frontline. Right now, Paris is on the topical monthly Frntline Plus. Is the spray just as effective? I'm all for something that is safer for my pet, so please share where I can read up more about this and of course, where to buy.

Thanks,
Mimi

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You can read about the different products here:

http://frontline.us.merial.com/home/

The spray used to be a well-kept secret, probably becasue it is so much cheaper. I used to only be able to buy it directly from them. In the past year or so, though, many of the catalogue places carry it.

I got some a few months ago from one of our sponsors, Entirelypets.com.

http://www.entirelypets.com/fronspray2501.html

It is just as effective on fleas and ticks as the spot on.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Paris'Mom+Oct 17 2005, 10:38 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Oct 17 2005, 10:28 AM

Marj,

This sounds really interesting. I would like to know more about the spray option of Frontline. Right now, Paris is on the topical monthly Frntline Plus. Is the spray just as effective? I'm all for something that is safer for my pet, so please share where I can read up more about this and of course, where to buy.

Thanks,
Mimi
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110512
[/B][/QUOTE]
I used the regular frontline plus last year and it worked fine. This year I used the spray and it was just as good and a heck of a lot cheaper. Plus I still have tons left and can use it again next year!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I actually had to throw my last bottle away. I had it for several years and used it on Lady and my 2 cats, but still has some left when it expired!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well we have had some fleas here lately with the new adoptees, one thing I do for one that I find on a flea comb is to have a little bowl of alcohol handy and dip the comb in it. The flea will die and drop off!

Also has anyone had any problems with an alergy to Revelution? I used this rather than Frontline this time ( I get mine from Jeffers wholeshale online, they were out), two of my babies have been scratching like crazy and no flea there.
I have rewashed today. I really think it was a reaction to the flea product they did not do that until I used it?

Just wondering if anyone had a problem like that?
Cathy

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i have seen reactions to all of the flea products...the good thing is that they are totally different and if ur baby is allergic to one it wont be to the others.

i have a way to make advantage realllly cheap..dont know if im allowed to say but i will.

if u buy a box for the largest sized dog..it has 4mls of liquid in there...if u use it on ur dog and it is less than 10lbs then u take a syringe and get 0.4mls out and use it on ur pup...this will make one tube last 10 months! heh that means one box will last 5 yrs....so i would try to see if u can buy it somewhere by the tube. but if u have a real big flea prob u can use it weekly and it is safe. this is not something i made up. an advantage representative told me to do it this way. i have the dosages for all weight sizes but it isnt in front of me..so if u need it let me know....this will work on a cat up to 10 lbs too....yes u can use the dog on the cat..as long as it is advantage NOT advantix. advantage is the same for dogs and cats..they just package them in different packages.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts