Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any other dog foods that claim to be for all life stages?

So far I have found

1) Canidae
2) Dick Van Patton's Natural Balance

Anymore?
Anyone use one of these for all life stages?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Nov 19 2005, 04:08 PM

So far I have found

1) Canidae

Anymore?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121243
[/QUOTE]

You didn't state how old your dog is?? I wouldn't compromise a puppy's food, though. They need more nutrition, especially toys.

This is one food my friend reccomended, it's all stage...but, mail order only:
http://www.healthfoodforpets.com/dogfood.htm

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by MaxMommy+Nov 19 2005, 04:23 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Nov 19 2005, 04:08 PM

So far I have found

1) Canidae

Anymore?

You didn't state how old your dog is?? I wouldn't compromise a puppy's food, though. They need more nutrition, especially toys.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121250
[/B][/QUOTE]

It was just something i was looking into b/c I was going to be feeding a pup and Brink who is a year and 1/2.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Nov 19 2005, 04:28 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2005, 04:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn

So far I have found

1) Canidae

Anymore?

[/QUOTE]

It was just something i was looking into b/c I was going to be feeding a pup and Brink who is a year and 1/2.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121253
[/B][/QUOTE]

ahhh, I see. If Brink eats puppy food, he will get fat. That is no good.

I guess an all stage food for both and some nutracal for the pup?? He will need a little extra, I would think??

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by MaxMommy+Nov 19 2005, 04:30 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2005, 04:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn

So far I have found

1) Canidae

Anymore?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121253

ahhh, I see. If Brink eats puppy food, he will get fat. That is no good.

I guess an all stage food for both and some nutracal for the pup?? He will need a little extra, I would think??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121255
[/B][/QUOTE]

Brinkley has always been free fed, so trying to feed them separately seems impossible thinking about it right now...but I bought the pup some Royal Canin puppy 33 and thought I would start with that and separate bowls on opposite sides of the kitchen...and only feed them when I can monitor them. Part of me doesn't like that b/c Brink won't understand when I take up his food..but maybe he will catch on quick and eat it when it is down. I guess I should have started his food like that a few weeks ago, but really hadn't given it that much thought.
I just wanted some ideas of foods for all stages in case I needed to try another method.

·
Registered
802 Posts
All stage sounds like a good idea, but the puppy needs more. I guess if you can manage that, it can work.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I use Natural Balance for Miko but the calorie reduced version of it. Its the only food Miko will eat!!! I have also noticed a LOT less tear staining with him being on it. And I think the ingredients are decent.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Before Peanut was put on prescription hill's u/d, I fed both boys Artemis small breed. Tic's a year younger than Peanut. It's all life stages and Tic just had a larger serving than Peanut. I free fed then, and it all worked out fine. I don't know Brink's personality, but I just kept track of who ate how much for the first couple of weeks to be sure Peanut wasn't hogging all the food. It worked really well for us

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm trying Evo by Natura Products. On the bag they state it is an all stages food. My 3 have been eating home cooked and raw because they wouldn't eat kibble, but I heard this is a good substitute for raw as it has no grain, so I got a sample bag to try. All of my babies just loved it. If they continue to eat it, I may just switch to this as it would be soooo much easier than preparing all their food myself. I'm taking a Canine Nutrition course starting in January and we will be reviewing all types of diets, so I'll let you know if I learn something on different types of kibble.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by maltx3@Nov 19 2005, 07:11 PM
I'm trying Evo by Natura Products.  On the bag they state it is an all stages food.  My 3 have been eating home cooked and raw because they wouldn't eat kibble, but I heard this is a good substitute for raw as it has no grain, so I got a sample bag to try.  All of my babies just loved it.  If they continue to eat it, I may just switch to this as it would be soooo much easier than preparing all their food myself.  I'm taking a Canine Nutrition course starting in January and we will be reviewing all types of diets, so I'll let you know if I learn something on different types of kibble.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121305
[/QUOTE]
I've also been doing the home cooked meals but have decided that its just getting too expensive to feed them that all the time. I think when I run out of the stuff I have in my freezer I will just feed dry dog food and occasionally make them some home cooked stuff. Right now they are on Nature's Variety and really like it so I will probably just leave them on that.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
You have a few days.... I think I would feed Brinkley and if he doesn't finish right away, perhaps you can hand feed him. I would feed the puppy in his puppy play pen and just make sure that he eats it all eventually. I monitored Catcher's food and if it was still sitting there after a couple hours I would hand feed him some. I tired to arrange things so that he had a steady stream of food in him all day.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Nov 21 2005, 09:41 AM
You have a few days.... I think I would feed Brinkley and if he doesn't finish right away, perhaps you can hand feed him. I would feed the puppy in his puppy play pen and just make sure that he eats it all eventually. I monitored Catcher's food and if it was still sitting there after a couple hours I would hand feed him some. I tired to arrange things so that he had a steady stream of food in him all day.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121703
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my problem is pretty much solved with the puppy play pen as far as the puppy...I just need to train Brink to eat his when it is down.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Nov 21 2005, 09:52 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Nov 21 2005, 09:41 AM

Yeah, my problem is pretty much solved with the puppy play pen as far as the puppy...I just need to train Brink to eat his when it is down.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121708
[/B][/QUOTE]

My guys gobble their's up right away. Does he just nibble all day?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Nov 21 2005, 09:54 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2005, 09:52 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Nov 21 2005, 09:41 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121708

[/QUOTE]

My guys gobble their's up right away. Does he just nibble all day?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121710
[/B][/QUOTE]

Big nibble sessions...but yes...

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Pre-puppies Jolie was free fed. We don't give our dogs any people food. She rarely ate in the mornings, and would usually be nosing around her bowl around dinner time. Once Sadie came Jolie began eating breafast and dinner and she gobbles it down because she seems afraid that the little girls will get her food. It all kind of solved itself at our house.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 21 2005, 10:27 AM
Lexi and Nikki are on an all stage dog food called: Nature's Variety

They seem to be doing really well on it.  It find out exactly how much to feed each dog you can use the Interactive Feeding Guide.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121693
[/QUOTE]

I wasn't familiar with Nature's Variety until I clicked on the link. Oh, it's Prairie. That is how I know it. My three have done very well on this in the past. Do you do the raw food part of it also?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by kab+Nov 21 2005, 02:30 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Nov 21 2005, 10:27 AM
Lexi and Nikki are on an all stage dog food called: Nature's Variety

They seem to be doing really well on it.  It find out exactly how much to feed each dog you can use the Interactive Feeding Guide.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121693
I wasn't familiar with Nature's Variety until I clicked on the link. Oh, it's Prairie. That is how I know it. My three have done very well on this in the past. Do you do the raw food part of it also?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121820
[/B][/QUOTE]
No I'm doing home cooked meals but after this last batch I'm going to quit for awhile. I might pick up a package of the medalons and give them some as a special meal once a week or once every couple of weeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts