Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything I read says puppies need littler mates. What about the puppy that is the only one in the litter.

I am wondering if this changes the dogs behavior. Do you recommend buying a dog that is the only one in the litter?

I know of a male being born with no litter mates. Please advise.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I would assume because it would still be around its mother that it would be just fine, might be some slight differences in personality but I wouldnt think anything bad.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I find that with singleton litters the mother takes over the role of the siblings as well as her own. She stays with them longer and spends more time playing with them. It's a compansation that occurs naturally with my girls. Those pups turn out just as well adjusted as multiples.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
This is where having a great breeder is important. They will be sure mom interacts with the pup and usually will introduce some of their other dogs who like puppies so the pup gets lots of interaction and learns doggy manners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.