Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
My doctor wants to put me on cholesterol meds and my cholesterol isn't high. It's gone up about 10 points in the last 3 years over all to 100. I had it checked 3 years ago ,it was 90. So is that bad?
I told doc I don't want cholesterol meds. So she said they'd recheck in Nov. Meanwhile I've been working out more and trying to loose weight,I'm overweight.Had a hysterectomy and grew two *sses....

I walk 2 miles a day,weather permitting and I work out w/ Al with free weights. I can bench 120lbs 10 times...,started at 65lbs lifting ti once or twice... 4 months ago..I think that's pretty good for a woman...

I haven't lost much weight maybe 15 pounds over all but I feel better. Probably gained some muscle,I've lost a couple inches and down to an *ss and 3/4 now....

Heart disease runs in my family but my family members smoke like chimneys ,drink like fish and don't exercise ,couch potato champions......
I've already outlived my mother by 5 years,in 3years I will outlive my father...

Sometimes I think they just push pills too much. I remember the last pill they pushed on me for my arthritis pain, Vioxx. I took it for a while,noticed my blood pressure rising,said something to the doc,they said to continue ....but I just had a bad feeling so yes,I quit taking it w/o telling them.
I know it's a no no,AMA,but guess what a recall of Vioxx came a few years later.. What if I had kept taking it? Was I right to do that,may be yes,maybe no,but sometimes your body tells you that something isn't right.
My blood pressure really never was an issue until I went through a series of back surgeries...never could get it back down.... Still trying though...hoping to get off BP meds,that I won't do on my own,AMA,that I will do under a doctor's advise. I know what happens if I'm not on it for a couple days,I forgot mine on a vacation and never felt worse than those 3 days off it...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I was wondering when I would find out that the guy was selling "stuff" .. Yep.. another doctor using the Internet to spout an opinion and then just happens to have the magic pill or book to take care of the problem. Any possibly good points from these "commercially oriented" doctors are always lost on me.

And some of his ideas apparently are questionable science:
Book Review: 'The 6-Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle' by Mary Dan Eades and Michael R. Eades | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

I do have to give him kudos for lambasting Kevin Trudeau... a major nutcase who spouts all sorts of medical misinformation wherever he can!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
My doctor wants to put me on cholesterol meds and my cholesterol isn't high. It's gone up about 10 points in the last 3 years over all to 100. I had it checked 3 years ago ,it was 90. So is that bad?
I told doc I don't want cholesterol meds. So she said they'd recheck in Nov. Meanwhile I've been working out more and trying to loose weight,I'm overweight.Had a hysterectomy and grew two *sses....

I walk 2 miles a day,weather permitting and I work out w/ Al with free weights. I can bench 120lbs 10 times...,started at 65lbs lifting ti once or twice... 4 months ago..I think that's pretty good for a woman...

I haven't lost much weight maybe 15 pounds over all but I feel better. Probably gained some muscle,I've lost a couple inches and down to an *ss and 3/4 now....

Heart disease runs in my family but my family members smoke like chimneys ,drink like fish and don't exercise ,couch potato champions......
I've already outlived my mother by 5 years,in 3years I will outlive my father...

Sometimes I think they just push pills too much. I remember the last pill they pushed on me for my arthritis pain, Vioxx. I took it for a while,noticed my blood pressure rising,said something to the doc,they said to continue ....but I just had a bad feeling so yes,I quit taking it w/o telling them.
I know it's a no no,AMA,but guess what a recall of Vioxx came a few years later.. What if I had kept taking it? Was I right to do that,may be yes,maybe no,but sometimes your body tells you that something isn't right.
My blood pressure really never was an issue until I went through a series of back surgeries...never could get it back down.... Still trying though...hoping to get off BP meds,that I won't do on my own,AMA,that I will do under a doctor's advise. I know what happens if I'm not on it for a couple days,I forgot mine on a vacation and never felt worse than those 3 days off it...
I am at a loss here. You mean to say that a doctor wanted to put you on cholesterol medicine with a total cholesterol reading of 100 ? That's crazy ! 200 is considered a normal level. I take Crestor to lover it but if I don't I am way over 200.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was wondering when I would find out that the guy was selling "stuff" .. Yep.. another doctor using the Internet to spout an opinion and then just happens to have the magic pill or book to take care of the problem. Any possibly good points from these "commercially oriented" doctors are always lost on me.

And some of his ideas apparently are questionable science:
Book Review: 'The 6-Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle' by Mary Dan Eades and Michael R. Eades | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

I do have to give him kudos for lambasting Kevin Trudeau... a major nutcase who spouts all sorts of medical misinformation wherever he can!

You know, Sher, if you dug a little deeper, you'd learn much more about Dr Eades and his history than the fact that he's written several books. You would know that Dr Eades and his wife really believe in their nutritional advice and have a heart to help people. They've saved countless lives with their books and their advice over the years. Can we say the same for the SAD? (Standard American Diet) http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/cardiovascular-disease/four-patients-who-changed-my-life/

My own personal physician, who is one of the most well-respected doctors in his area, doesn't sell a thing except his practice. He is in total agreement with Dr. Eades. Does that mean he's a scammer, too?

Perhaps if people took the time to do some deep research on the subject, both pro and con, they would understand that the science really backs up Dr. Eades, Gary Taubes, and others, and it's not all about profit in their cases.

Perhaps before judging, actually read one of those books by those that you are so quick to slam.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
This from Vanderbilt University says it all:

"Most of the pro-protein diet information comes from people trying to sell products. Apparently, the sellers want to vend their products and in order to do this, they must first sell their information. Most of these sites have a disclaimer at the bottom stating that the Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated the website.

Fat and Fiction

Colorado State University evaluated his diet plan:

Protein Power

1996 - Michael Eades, M.D. and Mary Dan Eades, M.D.

• Characteristics: Limits intake of carbohydrates to lower insulin levels. Claims insulin causes many health problems, including obesity, heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension and diabetes. Suggests that by keeping carbohydrate intake low and protein intake high, the body will burn fat faster.
  • Strengths: Allows more fruits and vegetables than some other high protein diets.
  • Weaknesses: High in saturated fat. Restricts whole grains and legumes. Low in calcium.
  • Comments: Not based on scientific evidence. Does not provide a nutritionally sound eating plan.
Weight Loss Diet Books

The American Cancer Institute did not review his book/diet plan favorably, either:

Protein Power

by Michael Eades, M.D. and Mary Dan Eades, M.D.

"The authors blame insulin for a host of ills, including hypertension, heart disease, elevated cholesterol and diabetes. High insulin levels, they say, lead to weight gain and obesity. In fact, the scientific evidence suggests that being obese causes high insulin levels, not the other way around."

Popular Diets Versus Dietary Guidelines | The Diet Channel

·
Registered
4,494 Posts

My gyno is the first woman director of our local hospital and she is very sharp. She also recommended that she has people with heart history in family to go on cholesterol meds in their 50's as she wants to prevent any heart issues if it runs in family. My dad had open heart surgery a few years back for double bypass and he may have to go in for valve replacement as well as he is at 1.1 and if it falls below 1 he will need the replacement. She told me the same as your doc is saying and my cholesterol is fine as well.

My dad smoked for years but has not smoked for 20 plus years and is an avid mountain biker in awesome shape but cardiologist said once the damage is done from smoking no reversing it :( I have never smoked so cardiologist said since i have never smoked and am a woman my chances of this is much less likely but it still scares me having seen my dad go through this and now may have to do it again :(

I battle the blood pressure too as they are recommending the water pill at this time and i am in a highly stressful career but I hate the idea of meds so trying to lose the weight to so i do not have to take the water pill with potassium :(

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I disagree. I think that Dr Eades is spot on in the article that I posted, and those of you who disagree with him haven't had the time and made the effort to really look at the whole picture, and perhaps need to do some deep research before you jump to conclusions and try to smear Dr Eades because you don't agree with his message.

I also think that if a person writes a book, that doesn't automatically turn them into a money grubbing opportunist.

You know what I also think? That SM is becoming a very intolerant forum and more often than not, when I come here, I go away very disappointed.

I'll leave you to happily discussing only those articles that you agree with, - articles by those "experts." The same ones who have wrecked the health and lives of many American people and their pets.

Imagine if everyone lived in a world where everyone agreed on everything....hmm.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Suzan, when you post a link to an article on a public forum, it is assumed it is a conversation starter, that you are opening up a discussion on a certain subject, not stating something as fact. SM has a diverse membership. Of course you will get comments both in agreement and disagreement.

I presented factual commentary from reputable institutions, i.e. Vanderbilt, Colorado State & the American Cancer Institute that criticizes his diet plan. Intelligent opinions are always formed after hearing both sides of an issue.

Accusing members who may not agree with you as intolerant", "not looking at the whole picture", "jumping to conclusions" and saying that you are "disappointed" in us doesn't seem very tolerant to me.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I disagree. I think that Dr Eades is spot on in the article that I posted, and those of you who disagree with him haven't really looked at the whole picture, and perhaps need to do some real deep research before you jump to conclusions and try to smear a person because you don't agree with his message.

I also think that if a person writes a book, that doesn't automatically turn them into a money grubbing opportunist.

You know what I also think? That SM is becoming a very intolerant forum and more often than not, when I come here, I go away very disappointed.

I'll leave you to happily discussing only those articles that you agree with, - articles by those "experts." The same ones who have wrecked the health and lives of many American people and their pets.

Imagine if everyone lived in a world where everyone agreed on everything....hmm.

Aww..Suzan! Dont feel discouraged! From the posts I have seen, I dont think anyone is intolerant of your views. I also dont see any smearing! Your posts are always welcome (and very good for us to learn) - but please dont think others are ignorant (or smearing) because they disagree!

Sometimes people agree with you, and sometimes not..neither means intolerance- just exchange of views! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Suzan, when you post a link to an article on a public forum, it is assumed it is a conversation starter, that you are opening up a discussion on a certain subject, not stating something as fact. SM has a diverse membership. Of course you will get comments both in agreement and disagreement.

I presented factual commentary from reputable institutions, i.e. Vanderbilt, Colorado State & the American Cancer Institute that criticizes his diet plan. Intelligent opinions are always formed after hearing both sides of an issue.

Accusing members who may not agree with you as intolerant", "not looking at the whole picture", "jumping to conclusions" and saying that you are "disappointed" in us doesn't seem very tolerant to me.

The reason why I post articles is to have a discussion and start conversations. But you and the others who disagree with me hardly ever DISCUSS the actual articles I post. Posting another link to counteract my link is not a discussion.

Why not enter in a true discussion and let us know what YOU think, why you think that, how you came to your conclusions, etc. Instead, you immediately post something from an opposite viewpoint and usually the article is not really addressing the actual info in the article that I posted. So how is that a discussion? I hardly ever say that something is an irrefutable fact, I usually indicate that it is a person's opinion about the matter.

I don't post information to make others agree with me. What I would like is to hear WHY they disagree with me, how they came to their conclusions, what evidence they have to back it up, etc. This is a discussion forum, so am I incorrect in expecting discussion?

I think that I am disappointed because instead of real conversation or discussion, what goes on here a lot, especially lately, is that certain people work toward discrediting the person who wrote the article that I posted, and never actually address the information in the article, never give their own personal reasons why they may agree or disagree, and how they came to their viewpoint on the matter.

I am not intolerant of anyone or anything here. I have strong opinions, yes, everyone knows that about me. However, I am tolerant of those that disagree with me, especially because I am interested in why they disagree, and how they came to those conclusions. But more often than not, I grow frustrated when there is no discussion, just a back and forth link posting. Perhaps if there were real discussions, I might be able to learn something new. Perhaps they will change my mind. It's happened before. That is what tolerance is all about, Marj.

Listen, no worries. I'll leave you to it. I have other things to attend to than to continue on here trying to have friendly discussions about holistic health and optimal nutrition, and try and help people. I mean, what's the point anymore? :smilie_tischkante: I've hung on way too long as it is

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Aww..Suzan! Dont feel discouraged! From the posts I have seen, I dont think anyone is intolerant of your views. I also dont see any smearing! Your posts are always welcome (and very good for us to learn) - but please dont think others are ignorant (or smearing) because they disagree!

Sometimes people agree with you, and sometimes not..neither means intolerance- just exchange of views! :thumbsup:
Alice, I would hope from our discussions that you are aware that I don't think people are ignorant if they disagree with me. I also have no problem if someone disagrees. In fact, I welcome it. Perhaps I can learn something from them. I am always open to learning something new.

If you go back and read Sher's post in this thread, you will understand what I am trying to say. In Sher's post (sorry to have to use one person as an example here, but that's the most recent) did she indicate why she disagreed with the article I posted? Did she enter into a discussion with me about it? No, on the contrary, she attempted to discredit the author of the article because he has written books on a subject he is passionate about, and because she thinks that what he is doing is trying to sell books.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

All "factual commentary" is open to debate. Science is not set in stone, it is ever-changing. Science is not God.

Intelligent opinions are definitely formed after hearing both sides of an issue.

In light of that, how about discussing the exact points in the article that was posted? Why do you disagree. Do you have any examples of people you have known, who were like the people in the article I posted, who were diabetic and didn't want to go on insulin? Are those people any better/healthier in following standard medical advice, which is different from what Dr Eades does with his patients? Do you have an example of some folks who are no longer diabetic, have better cholesterol readings, off meds, etc. as a result of following a low-fat, high carb diet, which is opposite of how Dr. Eades treats his patients? Dr Eades sees good results, and I am interested in knowing why his diet works for so many, also interested in why you think that it doesn't work, and if you have any examples of it not working?

I don't see a discussion happening here, Marj. I just see links to "factual commentary." That's why I get frustrated.

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
I am at a loss here. You mean to say that a doctor wanted to put you on cholesterol medicine with a total cholesterol reading of 100 ? That's crazy ! 200 is considered a normal level. I take Crestor to lover it but if I don't I am way over 200.
Yepper,total of 100. It was 90,3 years ago so she said since it was going up ,she wanted to put me on a cholesterol med,not sure which one. I thought it was a bit much too. I thought 100 was still pretty good!

I think it's just another doc wanting to peddle meds...sorry that sounds cynical but times are tough ,people aren't going to the docs as much so I guess they're pushing all the pills they can....

I've noticed when I have a problem ,it used to be taken care of in one or two visits,now it seems to take several visits....

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yepper,total of 100. It was 90,3 years ago so she said since it was going up ,she wanted to put me on a cholesterol med,not sure which one. I thought it was a bit much too. I thought 100 was still pretty good!

I think it's just another doc wanting to peddle meds...sorry that sounds cynical but times are tough ,people aren't going to the docs as much so I guess they're pushing all the pills they can....

I've noticed when I have a problem ,it used to be taken care of in one or two visits,now it seems to take several visits....
Perhaps you would be interested in reading some of the articles on this website. There are various opinions on cholesterol, and you might like to do your own research: The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
My gyno is the first woman director of our local hospital and she is very sharp. She also recommended that she has people with heart history in family to go on cholesterol meds in their 50's as she wants to prevent any heart issues if it runs in family. My dad had open heart surgery a few years back for double bypass and he may have to go in for valve replacement as well as he is at 1.1 and if it falls below 1 he will need the replacement. She told me the same as your doc is saying and my cholesterol is fine as well.

My dad smoked for years but has not smoked for 20 plus years and is an avid mountain biker in awesome shape but cardiologist said once the damage is done from smoking no reversing it :( I have never smoked so cardiologist said since i have never smoked and am a woman my chances of this is much less likely but it still scares me having seen my dad go through this and now may have to do it again :(

I battle the blood pressure too as they are recommending the water pill at this time and i am in a highly stressful career but I hate the idea of meds so trying to lose the weight to so i do not have to take the water pill with potassium :(
I guess it scares me to take meds unneccessarily. I wouldn't think to take cholesterol meds, w/ the liver damaging side effects would be a good way to prevent a heart attack. I'm not sure if the heart disease in my family is related to lifestyle or heredity...
I sure hope the exercising and weight training will help. I feel better,so something should be working...

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I so appreciate always hearing both sides when done nicely and not in an attacking way.

I like to learn and help others about health as well for both my pets and myself. I really appreciate everyone's input as I always learn from both sides and have also changed my views on some things by learning from others on these forums.

I hope you do not get discouraged and leave as I really value the information you post here and we need to learn from each other here without upsetting one another :( as that does not help anyone in the long run. Every person is valuable as each of us have different experiences with our own health and our dogs health and we can help each other so just wish people did not get upset in the process :(

was looking for the group hug smiley :blink:

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
I've heard cholesteral levels rise as we get older. I can say,yeah if I eat good foods,exercise and watch my weight ,I should live a long time...but then again look at Jim Fix,the running guru,he dropped dead at 46 I believe?

Weight isn't always what's on the scales ,especially if you're more muscular,even a skinny person can be unhealthy,even though the scales have them at a good weight...

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I guess it scares me to take meds unneccessarily. I wouldn't think to take cholesterol meds, w/ the liver damaging side effects would be a good way to prevent a heart attack. I'm not sure if the heart disease in my family is related to lifestyle or heredity...
I sure hope the exercising and weight training will help. I feel better,so something should be working...
I totally agree as it scared me too when she said that to me :( I do not like to take any meds unless i double and triple check everything and that goes for me and the dogs too and always weigh the risk vs the reward as well.

I will read the above more thoroughly later as my mom is type 2 diabetes and she went on a very strict diet with an internal medicine specialist and lost 40lbs and was removed from most of her meds. This ims wrote a book and I will get it from my mom. I do remember her calorie count was very low but one thing he did say is she had to have one or two bites of protein a day no matter what.

also a client of mine her dad is diabetic and whenever he would have sugar dessert he would offset it with a protein. So I told my mom to eat a string cheese whenever she ate sugar to offset it.

This ims told my mom everything you eat turns to sugar in your body

My mom was referred to him as she wanted the lap band as she was frustrated with not losing weight and taking meds. When she was diagnosed she was at 400 glucose and the doc freaked out as she could have gone into a diabetic coma they said. She was losing weight and so happy but she was losing weight bc she was diabetic :(. The ims said you are not over weight enough to do lap band but he said I will put you on the same diet I put them on after the surgery and she lost alot of weight and her blood work was done monthly while doing this and her doc was amazed at how much her blood work changed by doing this diet. I know protein was tied to it as she mentioned it to me. He said to her most people way over eat and why most people are way over weight so it was so many bites of food a day is how she did it as he said he did not want her to think of it as a diet and count calories just to think about how many bites a day she could have some of those being protein.

It worked she looks great and she feels great - oh and the first 30 days he said NO EXERCISE as people who exercise think they can eat more and he wanted her to concentrate on the food intake first

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I so appreciate always hearing both sides when done nicely and not in an attacking way.

I like to learn and help others about health as well for both my pets and myself. I really appreciate everyone's input as I always learn from both sides and have also changed my views on some things by learning from others on these forums.

I hope you do not get discouraged and leave as I really value the information you post here and we need to learn from each other here without upsetting one another :( as that does not help anyone in the long run. Every person is valuable as each of us have different experiences with our own health and our dogs health and we can help each other so just wish people did not get upset in the process :(

was looking for the group hug smiley :blink:
Thank you, however I think I need a break, because my frustration has been building for a while now, and I don't need the stress. If people truly desire real discussion, they can always us the SM private messaging system and contact me in that manner, or on Facebook.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.