Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get one of my ladies out of my mind tonight. When I walked up to her today where she was standing at the nurses station, I asked her what she was doing. This pitiful little lady said "just looking for someone to love". Her husband is a patient on another floor, but this is a second marriage, and the children won't let them live together, although it makes them both so happy to see each other.
So many of my people are even more lonely than usual this time of year. Many were just abandoned by their family in the nursing home, and some have family too far away to visit.
I would like to encourage any of you who can give thirty minutes or so to go to your local nursing home and make a visit. You can walk through the lobby, or you could ask the activities director or social worker if they have someone without a family to visit. It would give them so much just to have someone come and show that they care. You don't have to take a gift because you would already be giving them the best you could--your time.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Oh that poor soul

Its very true what you say.There are so many ppl that have no family or visiters at all.At the nursing home where my brother is ,it takes me forever to get into and when I leave..because I always stop and visit and say hello to so many ppl.At different times I have bought many candy bars out of the vending machine and if i bring my brother something special to eat i always try to bring a little extra to share with a few others.
But just a moment of your time and a few kind words can bring the biggest smile to their faces.They are some of them that tell me each time I go there..your brother is so lucky to have a sister like you that loves him and comes to see him all the time.Those are the ones that I know noone comes to see

There are lots of lonely and forgotton souls in nursing homes,so yes please think about stopping in one near you and making someone's day a better one because you gave the gift of yourself!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
What a wonderful idea. My children go every year to perform a choral recital for one of the nursing homes here. The residents are so appreciative for the children. The kids make each patient a card with a personal note about their studies, activities and such at school. The cards are all hand made and are presented to the patients after the concert. They have a social, complete with goodies made by several of the patients. The kids also pick a secret Santa and bring things like slippers, knitting supplies, lotions and soaps, books, among other things. It really is a gift for both the children and the patients.

·
Registered
552 Posts
This is so sad but very true. My mother-in-law is in the nursing home. There are a lot of lonely people there. Their families just leave them and don't come back. We go every week to see her and call her almost every day to let her know that we are thinking about her. I know when I walk down the halls to visit with her that my husband and I visit with others on our way to see her. Just speaking to them and asking how they are just makes their day. Thank God that she is in one of the best around here. They are all the time doing activities with them and she is hardly ever in her room. When she got a lot better to come home she didn't want to. She told us that she loved it there and that she had a lot of friends and would like to stay. We thought it would be best for her because she had people around her that she enjoyed being with even though it broke our hearts. The best thing I like about where she is at is that my sister works there and keep an eye out for her and lets us know more about what is going on with her. Every one should go to just visit especially around the holidays. These ladies and gentlemen are SPECIAL too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts