Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, for all you folks out there who have two or more Maltese, tell us your stories and share your pictures!!

Be sure to share with us the pros and cons of having two little furballs running around underneath your feet.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by SpottyPoo@May 19 2005, 04:28 PM
Okay, for all you folks out there who have two or more Maltese, tell us your stories and share your pictures!! 

Be sure to share with us the pros and cons of having two little furballs running around underneath your feet. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63575
[/QUOTE]

You have to be more careful where you walk because they follow you everywhere, and there are more little feet to trip you. It takes longer to go to the bathroom because everyone comes with you and has to be held and cuddled while you do your business. Grooming takes longer because there is more hair to brush. There are more little bodies with cute eyes standing on the steps to the tub, watching you bathe. BUT, you have more little ones to love you, more to snuggle up close to you at night and keep you warm, and more to let let you know how they missed you when you were gone.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+May 19 2005, 05:27 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 19 2005, 05:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-LucyLou
@May 19 2005, 06:05 PM
It takes longer to go to the bathroom because everyone comes with you and has to be held and cuddled while you do your business.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63585

Catcher does that, too.... !!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63594

[/QUOTE]

Brink too!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63595
[/B][/QUOTE]
All 3 of mine do it.It takes me longer to do my business cause to be fair I have to give them each a turn on my lap
But I love having all of them.Just more to love & more snuggles&smoochs on little black noses!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have done it both ways. One Maltese. Now, two Maltese. My first Chumley lived his life alone (except for us of course) and I vowed I would NEVER have just one.

Pros:
1. Twice as much love

2.two times the cuddle & kisses
3.company for them when I am not home.
4.Someone to talk doggie to them. *(I'm dogese illiterate)

5.twice the protection (and if you don't think two make twice as much noise with an intruder, you are wrong!

6.twice the compliments from strangers!

7.fewer leftovers! (someone always seems to finish up)
8. They are so small.........so once you have one......a second takes up hardly any room!!!

9. When recovering from open-heart surgery, they make your heart heal faster! Just ask the experts!!!!

cons:

1. twice as much food/clothes/leashes/collars/etc to buy
2. twice the vet bill!
3. twice the grooming!

4. twice the pee pads
5. twice the sad eyes when you leave

·
Registered
486 Posts
Prissy wakes up with me in the a.m. and when I'm on the potty she cames to say good morning then she goes pee pee. Shiner (min pin) watches me take a bath as well and when i get out he lickes my legs.

I miss my min pin. He is with daddy. I get to see them both this weekend. I'm home for the rest of college and John (aka Daddy) is still taking school at tech but he took a month off from work to visit his parents. This means for now he is just an hour away.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
We love every minute of having two and are very, very pleased with our decision. We'll always have two Malts from now on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could you tell us why you love every minute of having two and why you'll always have two? How old are they?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sylphide is 21 months old, Shrek has just turned 6 months old.

Sylphide, who is an amazing little being, was a difficult, challenging, bratty, obnoxious puppy. She was very loving and affectionate, but hyperintense, hyperactive, and very stubborn. With lots of gentle loving patience, and training(including agility to focus her energy) she has become a wonderful young adult- still has her own idea about things, but is very obedient and responds to requests and commands.

We were expecting to (and fully prepared to) go through the same challenging puppy year with Shrek. However, from day one he has been mellow, obedient, very calm, does what is asked (except for his barking) and has been so easy to parent. Yet, he has a very strong personality and stands up to Sylphide, who would squelch a more passive companion. Shrek is her wrestling and playing equal--and won't let her boss him around.

When we came home with Shrek, I think Sylphide accepted him so quickly (the photos on the right of the bottom sig are from day 1) because she thought we were bringing him home as a super toy for her to play with.

We used to have to wrestle, run, and play fetch with Sylphide for hours every day. Now she plays with Shrek, and rather than making my husband or I the focus of her pounces and pretend attacks, Shrek is, and he loves it! Of course, he is just as often the pouncer and the attacker.

They are wonderful to watch together. Of course, they both have lots of wonderful gentle quiet and cuddle times, too. Sylphide is a wonderfu lapsitter and cuddler now that she is more grown up.

We have hardly had to train Shrek at all so far. He learns by watching Sylphide. So harness and leash training, the stay command, grooming, and bathtime have been a breeze. He sees Sylphide settling down and being very good about it all and has followed suit.

They often give each other kisses (and to Ozzy, our older dog). Sometimes they even sleep cuddled together. Sometimes, I have two cuddling on my lap at once. What's not to love?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182+May 19 2005, 06:13 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 19 2005, 05:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-LucyLou
@May 19 2005, 06:05 PM
It takes longer to go to the bathroom because everyone comes with you and has to be held and cuddled while you do your business.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63585

Catcher does that, too.... !!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63594

Brink too!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63595
All 3 of mine do it.It takes me longer to do my business cause to be fair I have to give them each a turn on my lap
But I love having all of them.Just more to love & more snuggles&smoochs on little black noses!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63612
[/B][/QUOTE]
Lexi likes to play fetch when I'm in the bathroom. She just keeps bringing me toys to throw.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by sassy14830@May 20 2005, 12:00 AM
Prissy wakes up with me in the a.m. and when I'm on the potty she cames to say good morning then she goes pee pee. Shiner (min pin) watches me take a bath as well and when i get out he lickes my legs.

I miss my min pin. He is with daddy. I get to see them both this weekend. I'm home for the rest of college and John (aka Daddy) is still taking school at tech but he took a month off from work to visit his parents. This means for now he is just an hour away.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63672
[/QUOTE]

Brink licks my legs when I get out of the shower too!
I told hubby that some of Sandi's (my cat that passed away last year) was left behind.
She is the only other one that has done that besides Brink...she would lay on the commode and wait for me to get out, and then jump down and start licking away...so
....but I missed it when she passed.
Then when Brink started doing it, I was like... :eek: IT'S LIKE SANDI! :D I now, I am silly, but sometimes it is the little things that are so endearing.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@May 19 2005, 07:13 PM
  But I love having all  of them.Just more to love & more snuggles&smoochs on little black noses!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63612
[/QUOTE]
I thought I was the only one that did that!
Man, I love you guys!

I have to say TWO!!! I'll admit it, I hate that we have to go through all the training again. I was just getting used to the fact that Peanut didn't need to be watched like a hawk anymore. He learned our rules and he is awesome about following them. The only thing I have to watch about Peanut is his paper towel shredding. The little booger will knock the trash can over to get at one of those. But just think, if you can get through training the basics, you can train them just about anything! And in a year (hopefully less
) I will have two perfectly trained dogs. Yes, it's double the poop and double the food, but I justified the food because I can only find Artemis in 6 pound bags, and it takes forever for Peanut to get through one bag. I was always worried that it had gone bad by the time we got to the bottom of the bag, so really Tic is just 'helping' us finish up dog food faster
. The extra expense in harnesses, leashes, toy and carriers didn't really bother me because I didn't need to buy anything new. Peanut (he's my first dog, and I kinda went overboard) had all different color harnesses and lots of carriers and toys.

I groom the boys myself, so that saves money every month. I will say that bath day is a long day for us around here. I wish someone would help at least dry the dogs for me, but it's my job. It just kinda sucks to get all wet while washing Peanut, then drying him, and then getting wet all over again while washing Tic, then I have to dry him...long day
. Tic gets jealous of Peanut all the time, but I give Peanut extra attention because I didn't want him to feel replaced.

The only real concern is double the vet bills. It's okay for the most part because Peanut already got neutered and his teeth were pulled, but my last appt was for both of the dogs checkups and it was about $360. I have a special savings acct for emergencies, but even just the routine visits can add up.

If you like to take the dogs out a lot in carriers it can be a pain to lug two dogs with you. There was a thread about sneaking dogs into places and it's really hard with two.

The good stuff:
Double the love! I never feel guilty if I have to leave the dogs for a long time because they have each other. I don't let them have access to anything they can climb on while I'm gone because when they chase each other I'm afraid one may fall and be injured while no one is home. Peanut never had a playmate around here because the other dogs are all so big and I didn't trust that they could play well together. My friend's yorkie is a brat and tries to bite Peanut, so they never play together either. Now, I see how much fun Peanut can have playing with someone his own size. It's cute to see how much the dogs care about each other. The first few days when Tic was limited to an ex-pen Peanut was trying to rescue Tic.

It is harder, but it's so worth it. Yes, they fight but mostly over Greenies. Peanut does get tired of playing with Tic all day and they will just go off on their own and do their own thing for a while. They have their own crates, and Peanut sometimes gets annoyed when Tic goes into Peanut's but sometimes they do cuddle together and nap together.

I'd say if you have the time, space, patience, and money, go for it!

I'll shush for now...Can you tell I'm totally addicted to my dogs?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@May 20 2005, 11:05 AM
It just kinda sucks to get all wet while washing Peanut, then drying him, and then getting wet all over again while washing Tic, then I have to dry him...long day
.<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63774
[/QUOTE]
Ok, kind of off topic but I just wanted to say that I went to Sally's and got one of those full aprons that hair dressers were. It is water-proof so I don't get went when I'm bathing Lexi.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Oh, duh!! Thanks lexi's mom. I think I will get one of those. I also hate being covered with hair after I cut their hair. DUH!!! You can tell I'm not to much of a thinker...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@May 20 2005, 11:20 AM
Oh, duh!!  Thanks lexi's mom.  I think I will get one of those.  I also hate being covered with hair after I cut their hair.  DUH!!!  You can tell I'm not to much of a thinker...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63782
[/QUOTE]
Yeah I usually have hair all over the bathroom when I cut Lexi's hair. I just get out the vaccuum and vaccuum up all the hair (and myself).

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I vote for two.. I think dogs are better in pairs. I totally agree that it is twice the good stuff and twice the bad stuff. I've had to take them both to the vet a few times and it has been costly but I was prepared for that. I know once they are seniors it will be very expensive taking care of two elderly dogs but we are saving now for the inevitable. I love having two doggys curled up on my lap. They entertain themselves so they aren't always trying to get my attention.. but when they are ready for a cuddle they both come running to me. I also like that they can keep each other company whenever I have to leave for a while. They are close in age.. Tuffy is 1 year and 5 months old and Pixie is a little over 4 months old. I'm glad they'll have each other to grow up with and they get along great so they are always playing and having fun.. He's also taught her how to do a few things (good and bad) and that's been fun to watch him take her under his wing. I joke with my husband that having two is costing us less in toys because they both always want the same toy so as long as there is just 1 toy they are good to go.. they wouldn't even notice if I took all the others away. :lol: It's a lot of work having two.. I'm lucky because I only work 2 days a week and when I'm gone my husband is home to watch them so they are almost never left alone for very long. At first I was a little overwhelmed having two and had a teeny tiny bit of regret, but now that I've had Pixie for a while I kick myself for feeling that way and I wouldn't trade having two for anything in the world.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Maybe having 2 malts is expensive, and maybe it makes them harder to train, but it sure is lots of fun. My two love their lap time and if you call one, both come trotting up. I feel guilty for loving on one while the other stands there patiently, waiting their turn. The best part is the playing. My two run and chase and tumble and wear each other out. I don't worry much about exercise because they take care of that themselves. We've been on the go for the last month - between our home, my daughters' apt. and the new condo. The two puppies have kept themselves completely entertained. It doesn't matter to them where they are. The humans in our house laugh more than ever - watching their antics. We wonder how we got along with just one dog!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I love having multiple dogs.

You do have to be prepared to commit to twice the time for things. They each need one-on-one time with you, especially for training. They need to learn to be separate (ie take one out on a walk and leave one, then switch). You have to remember that both dogs need to bond with you and be confident by themselves as they will likely at some point be by themselves.

If you want to put the time into it, go for it. But, a new dog will pick up your dogs good and bad habits. I recommend waiting until ideally 2 years or more between adding dogs. If your dog is perfectly trained as you want it at 12-18 months, that is your individual decision. I also like to space my dogs in age a bit because having multiple elderly dogs is really tough.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts