Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a discussion at work. Do you put one space or two after your period in a sentence.
I was taught to type (on a typewriter) and to put two spaces after my periods, now I hear one space is the standard.:huh:

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I was taught to put two but that was in the dark ages and on a manual (non electric) typewriter!

I just now checked the grammar check in Word and in the Options it asks do I want to use 1 space or 2. From what I understand, with proportional fonts, only one space is needed. (LOL - Can you tell I majored in business education!)

Here are some articles about it:
One Space or Two Spaces After Punctuation -Rules of Desktop Publishing

Sentence spacing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one is the most succinct:
Why 1 space after sentence

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I am going to confuse you even more. When I took typing lessons in school (France) we were taught ONE space AFTER a single punctuation (, . ) and ONE space BEFORE and ONE space AFTER a double punctuation ( : ; ! ? ). Example of double punctuation : double. Single. Frankly I don't understand the double space you are talking about. And when I look at what you are writing I never realized that you put a double space after your punctuation. Lol, maybe the forum is changing your double one to a single one.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Back in the day when I learned by morse code :HistericalSmiley:(j/k) I was taught to use 2 also........ now I just use a bunch of periods and don't worry about it :smilie_tischkante:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.