Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having a discussion at work. Do you put one space or two after your period in a sentence.
I was taught to type (on a typewriter) and to put two spaces after my periods, now I hear one space is the standard.:huh:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I was taught to put 2. Still do! See?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I was taught to put two but that was in the dark ages and on a manual (non electric) typewriter!

I just now checked the grammar check in Word and in the Options it asks do I want to use 1 space or 2. From what I understand, with proportional fonts, only one space is needed. (LOL - Can you tell I majored in business education!)

Here are some articles about it:
One Space or Two Spaces After Punctuation -Rules of Desktop Publishing

Sentence spacing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one is the most succinct:
Why 1 space after sentence

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
I do 2 spaces, because that's what the nuns' told me to do. LOL!!! I imagine it really would be a hard habit to break.
xoxoxoxo

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I was taught to put 2, but I think now its ok to put 1, but I always still put 2, just out of habit.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I was taught two, but, with differing fonts used these days, I can see where one would work.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I was taught to do two and am still required to do two in most of my writing. My siblings are still in grammer school and are being taught to place two spaces - so I'm not sure which is accurate.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I am going to confuse you even more. When I took typing lessons in school (France) we were taught ONE space AFTER a single punctuation (, . ) and ONE space BEFORE and ONE space AFTER a double punctuation ( : ; ! ? ). Example of double punctuation : double. Single. Frankly I don't understand the double space you are talking about. And when I look at what you are writing I never realized that you put a double space after your punctuation. Lol, maybe the forum is changing your double one to a single one.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I was also taught to put 2 and I still do. It would be a hard habit to break. Also, I was taught to put 2 spaces between the state and the zip code when typing an address, but I hear that 1 is now the norm.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I was taught to put one :)

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I was taught to put two spaces after a period....I can never change that now....it's been too long.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I was taught two as well. But I think now I don't even bother with the two spaces unless I'm writing something formal like a paper for class.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Back in the day when I learned by morse code :HistericalSmiley:(j/k) I was taught to use 2 also........ now I just use a bunch of periods and don't worry about it :smilie_tischkante:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts