Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything changed. My little Luck, his body ravaged by a silent cancer left us. I still remember that day like it was today.

Luck was my heart dog. He and I were inseperable. The vet who ran the puppy classes remarked to my mother how closely we Luck and I had bonded. He was constantly by my side, curled up on the footrest of my recliner resting against my leg.

He was known to everyone as licky Lucky, because he always greeted everyone with licks, and with a toy waiting to play fetch.

I remember how we almost lost him twice when he was two. First, to a tick bourne disease and then to a liver shunt we did not know he had. I remember the night he got sick; it was also the night I had won the beautiful rescue quilt from North Central Maltese Rescue, a quilt that is hanging beside me in the living room and visible and a frequent point of interest in many a zoom call. This was shortly after my mother had passed and Luck was a living link between me on earth and her in her final resting place. I remember the trip to Tufts and then to Cornell to get expert advise on what to do. I remember the decision to manage the shunt medically and those yearly trips to Cornell, and those three times to our local vet to make sure he was doing alright. I remember counting each year, one, two, three, because we did not know how long he had. Then I stopped counting, because he went years and years without being sick. I remember the special food, the vigilance to make sure everything he had was vegetarian to protect his liver, carefully reading the ingredients of each treat.

I also remember the joy he had for life and that he brought me. I remember how much he loved to climb on the back of the couch and look out, patrolling the neighborhood, ready to bark. I remember how much he loved to discover a Kleenex or tear the toilet paper off the roll. I remember how much he loved cheese, ice cream, and carrots. How he would be five inches away when I cooked, begging for veggies, and if he were on my chair, be would run to the kitchen when he heard me chopping veggies. I remember how he was waiting for me at the glass rear door whenever I got back from work. I remember how he would spin at bedtime, getting ready for me to carry him up to bed. Mister lazy bones did not want to get up as early as I do, so he would lay in bed until he heard me cooking and the appear at the top of the stairs waiting for me to carry him down. I remember each Christmas and birthday, clothes from Tanner Togs, bought by Aunt Marie and Grammie Paula, the toys ( he loved toys), the secret santas, the birthday buddy blanket Janene made. The beautiful chimes the SpoiledMaltese family gave me on his passing sound each day, reminding me his spirit is still in my heart.

20190126_105554_1548643410286.jpg

I remember one year ago. I was never sad, because he lived a life filled with joy and love, one longer than anyone could expect. But I do remember the emptiness, the feeling of not being complete any more. I remember looking for a rescue to fill my heart and all the help Sue gave me, but not finding the right one. The universe had a different road for me to travel. Paula had lost her dear Matilda, and Geneva a retiree from Adura Mastese came into her life. Paula suggested that I contact Adura, because Kathryn had a male retiree. I remember that late Fall day, I went to the airport, and there sitting on a bench was Casper seated next to the nanny who brought him. I remember the joy many of you expressed that Casper and I found each other. But as they say, that is a story for another day.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Everything changed. My little Luck, his body ravaged by a silent cancer left us. I still remember that day like it was today.

Luck was my heart dog. He and I were inseperable. The vet who ran the puppy classes remarked to my mother how closely we Luck and I had bonded. He was constantly by my side, curled up on the footrest of my recliner resting against my leg.

He was known to everyone as licky Lucky, because he always greeted everyone with licks, and with a toy waiting to play fetch.

I remember how we almost lost him twice when he was two. First, to a tick bourne disease and then to a liver shunt we did not know he had. I remember the night he got sick; it was also the night I had won the beautiful rescue quilt from North Central Maltese Rescue, a quilt that is hanging beside me in the living room and visible and a frequent point of interest in many a zoom call. This was shortly after my mother had passed and Luck was a living link between me on earth and her in her final resting place. I remember the trip to Tufts and then to Cornell to get expert advise on what to do. I remember the decision to manage the shunt medically and those yearly trips to Cornell, and those three times to our local vet to make sure he was doing alright. I remember counting each year, one, two, three, because we did not know how long he had. Then I stopped counting, because he went years and years without being sick. I remember the special food, the vigilance to make sure everything he had was vegetarian to protect his liver, carefully reading the ingredients of each treat.

I also remember the joy he had for life and that he brought me. I remember how much he loved to climb on the back of the couch and look out, patrolling the neighborhood, ready to bark. I remember how much he loved to discover a Kleenex or tear the toilet paper off the roll. I remember how much he loved cheese, ice cream, and carrots. How he would be five inches away when I cooked, begging for veggies, and if he were on my chair, be would run to the kitchen when he heard me chopping veggies. I remember how he was waiting for me at the glass rear door whenever I got back from work. I remember how he would spin at bedtime, getting ready for me to carry him up to bed. Mister lazy bones did not want to get up as early as I do, so he would lay in bed until he heard me cooking and the appear at the top of the stairs waiting for me to carry him down. I remember each Christmas and birthday, clothes from Tanner Togs, bought by Aunt Marie and Grammie Paula, the toys ( he loved toys), the secret santas, the birthday buddy blanket Janene made. The beautiful chimes the SpoiledMaltese family gave me on his passing sound each day, reminding me his spirit is still in my heart.

View attachment 274723

I remember one year ago. I was never sad, because he lived a life filled with joy and love, one longer than anyone could expect. But I do remember the emptiness, the feeling of not being complete any more. I remember looking for a rescue to fill my heart and all the help Sue gave me, but not finding the right one. The universe had a different road for me to travel. Paula had lost her dear Matilda, and Geneva a retiree from Adura Mastese came into her life. Paula suggested that I contact Adura, because Kathryn had a male retiree. I remember that late Fall day, I went to the airport, and there sitting on a bench was Casper seated next to the nanny who brought him. I remember the joy many of you expressed that Casper and I found each other. But as they say, that is a story for another day.
Sending you hugs today Walter as you remember all the joy and happiness Lucky brought to your life.

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
Walter, thank you for this memorial of our little guy! I LOVE the picture---it speaks volumes!

I have always believed that "love, and grief, come in many colors---and you have shaded his little life so well. I wrote to a friend in Budapest yesterday who has been in quarantine since spring---watching his dear 98 year old mom languish & finally die alone in the US in a home---just asking "when can you come & visit me?" He feels oddly enough emotionally distanced from her death although they were close. I assured him that grief comes eventually in a way that HE will be able to process, not in the way others might expect, or in their timing expectations, but when his heart is able to absorb the deep loss. Sometimes the heart goes into "hibernation" & the process of acceptance takes the back seat on the bus of everyday life. No matter how we try to "get ready" for the inevitable, we are never ready!

Your memorial of Lucky reminds me of the verse "how do I love thee, let me count the ways!" He was a unique little guy & you were bonded in that he was dependent on you for life itself. He nudged his way into your heart and you felt a connection that also connected to your mom even in her absence. . . so "losing him was EVEN more than losing him." He was part & parcel of your heart & soul & he just wanted to be beside you on that chair. You were both very, very lucky to have known that kind of bonding.

May you, dear Uncle Water, feel his presence all around you as you grow & chop veggies, eat ice-cream & tend his memorial garden. I hope you find just the right bench for that spot---many of us will come & sit quietly beside you there & remember w/you how very special he was/is. RIP sweet boy.

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Your memorial of Lucky reminds me of the verse "how do I love thee, let me count the ways!" He was a unique little guy & you were bonded in that he was dependent on you for life itself. He nudged his way into your heart and you felt a connection that also connected to your mom even in her absence. . . so "losing him was EVEN more than losing him." He was part & parcel of your heart & soul & he just wanted to be beside you on that chair. You were both very, very lucky to have known that kind of bonding.

May you, dear Uncle Water, feel his presence all around you as you grow & chop veggies, eat ice-cream & tend his memorial garden. I hope you find just the right bench for that spot---many of us will come & sit quietly beside you there & remember w/you how very special he was/is. RIP sweet boy.

Walter,
Lucky will always be within your heart and the many others that loved him here on SM. Such a beautiful memorial. His memory will always be treasured, and in our hearts he stays forever ❤💕❤

·
Premium Member
10,185 Posts
Luck’s Aunt Marie loved him so much. And, I still miss him dearly. Luck will always have a very special place in my heart.

My fondest memories of Luck ... are from October of 2017. I feel so blessed to have taken that seven hour train ride from Washington, D.C. to Springfield. It was from Springfield, where Walter was waiting for me ... and, then for us to take the hour long ride back to Walter and Luck‘s home.

I was so excited to meet Luck. But, a little worried, that for whatever reason, he would not like me. Maybe because I was someone he had been meeting for the first time, in person. I remember how excited Luck was when Walter opened the side door that leads into the kitchen ... and, to where Luck was excitedly waiting to greet his Daddy and me. It warmed my heart to see how Luck followed us into the living room.

The time I spent with Walter and Luck are memories that I will always treasure. I feel so blessed for every moment spent with both of them. Walter was so sweet in preparing two of my favorite foods. The first evening Walter made his divine hummus from scratch. The second evening Walter make his out of this world veggie pizza ... something I had looked forward to for so long! And, of course, there was yummy vanilla ice-cream that was topped with fresh strawberries! And, guess who was right by my side to enjoy hummus, pizza, and ice-cream?! I shared all those yummies with him! And, in between, I got to give him one of his other favorite treats ... carrots! Yes, it was sweet and adorable Luck.

Luck was very sweet in letting me take pictures and videos of him and his Daddy. Luck was such a charmer. I feel blessed that I got to actually hold him in my arms, play fetch with him, and share my dinners with him.

So, when Luck became sick ... of course, I started to become very concerned when Luck started to have difficulty eating. Walter and I were in touch a lot. I remember how hard it was for Walter to make trips to his regular vet ... and, then to Tufts. As he and Luck made the trip to Tufts ... I still felt hopeful ... and prayed that the doctors would be able to cure whatever was making Luck so sick. I remember how hard it was for Walter to come back home, alone ... because the doctors needed Luck to stay overnight in order to take more tests. I remember waiting for Walter to call me ... around 2PM ... the day the doctor promised to get back to Walter ... just to update Walter on how Luck was doing. I remember how stunned I felt when Walter called to tell me our precious Luck was gone. I remember as we both tried to talk ... the tears and sobs that seemed never ending. I was so worried for Walter because he was all alone in his home. With that ...

As Walter has shared here on Spoiled Maltese ... it took some time before he made the decision to welcome a new forever family member into his warm and loving home. Needless to say, I am so happy for Walter and Casp ... they are meant to be together. And, I know that Luck, who is now an angel in Heaven ... is very happy for his Daddy and his new brother, Casp. I just talked with Walter on the phone and got to say hello to sweet and adorable Casp. Aunt Marie loves Casp very much, too. My wish is to return on day ... to visit Walter and Casp. And, to share yummy foods with Casp ... just like I loved doing with beloved Luck.

Today and this evening ... I will blow kisses up toward the stars ... all lovingly meant for our loving and precious angel, in Heaven ... Darling Angel Luck. ❤🐾💕🐾❤🐾💕🐾❤
91CFA130-5B9E-4773-BA4D-BF178CB582F7.jpeg
CBCEFB8D-8839-4A28-A334-5253329F475C.jpeg
C959DEC6-24DE-4E2E-8AA9-BF93EBFB626B.jpeg
53707F2C-C778-4A95-8710-070E8D044A71.jpeg
0CC63F95-7989-4EBF-A9EE-54CB05CF8EB3.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Walter, What a beautiful memorial to Lucky. I just spent the last hour reading through your many many past posts about Lucky and his journey with you over the years. Some made me laugh some made me cry. What was apparent in all of them was how very much you loved Lucky & he you. And the amazing care you provided for him up until his last days with us - Your character shines through in glorious colors. I can only hope I can follow in your footsteps when the time comes.....You are a pretty special guy in my eyes!

"A dog has one aim in life.... to bestow his heart."
J. R. Ackerley

·
Super Moderator
10,167 Posts
Walter, sending you hugs. Luck was a very special pup and was much loved not only by you but by all of us here on SM.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Walter - I haven't been on here that much lately but try to check in and see if everyone's okay. I stopped in my tracks when I saw your post. It brought back all those memories of Luck and so many things that we here at SM went through with you and your sweet boy.

I was remembering when you joined here. I think it was while your mom was still alive but she was quite ill at the time. There weren't many men on the forum so of course we were a little leery about this new person. But you sounded like you had a Maltese you cared so much about. And you were always helpful, engaging and fit in so well with all of us here. So we were at ease welcoming you. And then your mom died. I think we all felt your pain because by that time we knew you and what a wonderful man you were and I think you got to trust us. It seemed to create a very strong bond between many of us.

And then there was Lucky. Your Luck was our Luck. You took such amazing care of him, delighted in his activities and behaviors and always looked to make life wonderful for him. When he got so sick it was agonizing. I remember the fear you had that he would die. That this sweet boy would leave you. Would leave us. And you went to the best doctor there is for liver issues, Dr Center at Cornell. Even though Luck didn't like the car rides you still took him where he needed to be. There were the two routes to go...one from Tufts with surgery and one from Cornell with change in diet. You took the latter and I believe it prolonged his life and gave him so much more quality. You saved his life. And we all enjoyed that life so much.

We know that losing him was like losing part of you. But he just looked at his life as the life-- the wonderful life --that he had with you. No expectations, taking every day and loving it. And when you said goodbye he was at peace. None of us will ever forget Lucky. I still have his photo next to Tyler's in those frames you sent me. Makes me smile every time I look at them. No regrets for your life with Luck and for your new love, Casper. They never replace the dog you had, they just wiggle into another part of your heart and your heart grows bigger, in a good way.

I hope that Luck is up in heaven and saw the comet recently and chased it. We're all grateful that Luck brought you to us.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Hugs to you Walter as you remember your Luck. I'm sure not a day goes by that you don't think of him with love. He was a special little guy. I'm sure he is looking down on you and Casper and is pleased with himself for seeing that you have found a special little guy to watch over you.

·
Super Moderator
9,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much. I am touched by the amazing kindness you all have shown. Luck grew up in front of all of you.

Reactions: jane and addison

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
Walter I love the picture, there was something very special about that little boy.
I remember when you first found SM, little Lucky grew up here, I remember all the stories
about our little Lucky
I was honored to be his grammie, I loved that boy, always will

It makes my heart hurt thinking of our talks on the phone, Lorin and I grieved with you we thanked God
for Casp, we love looking at pictures

I often think of Matilda and Lucky being together it helps my heart and brings a smile to my face
I'm so glad you and Casper found one another, you were meant to be
He will keep you busy, keep you laughing, keep your bed warm, he was meant

Walter your memorial of little Lucky was beautiful, you were meant to be.

·
Super Moderator
9,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Paula, I remember calling you and Lorin moments after it happened. I was in shock.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts

View attachment 274723

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing his story! It was beautiful. You gave him a wonderful life and now you're giving Casper the same attention. God Bless!

Lainie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts