Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on the forum some malt mommies are having their girls wear onezies after spaying to protect the stitches. Are these the human baby onezies or are they an outfit made especially for dogs????

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
theyr'e regular human onezies.

personally, i was scared of the clothes ripping out the stitches. lol.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Fach, my vet provided Catcher with a Bite Not Collar after his neutering. I tried the onesies but he still would not leave his stitches alone and this was fabulous!! It totally saved my sanity and kept him from having to wear one of those awful E-collars. Here is a photo that I've posted before of him in his collar. http://bitenot.com/

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jul 25 2005, 08:16 PM
Fach, my vet provided Catcher with a Bite Not Collar after his neutering. I tried the onesies but he still would not leave his stitches alone and this was fabulous!! It totally saved my sanity and kept him from having to wear one of those awful E-collars. Here is a photo that I've posted before of him in his collar. http://bitenot.com/

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84441
[/QUOTE]
I have never seen or heard of these. They look like a much better alternative. My vet must not have them because she told me she would supply an e collar if needed. i printed out the info to share with her. Hopefully she will stock them for future clients. I think i'll try to order one. better to have it and not use it, than to have miss Dixie pulling at the sutures and no way to stop her. i could always donate it to the vet afterward. Thank you so much!

Ps Seeing how the onezies are so inexpensive i plan to buy some of those tomorrow. She needs to get accustomed to wearing clothing anyway. That and it keeps her still [she mopes and won't play when she is dressed]. This will help her rest and give her stitches a chance to heal.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Fach+Jul 25 2005, 09:44 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Jul 25 2005, 08:16 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84441
I have never seen or heard of these. They look like a much better alternative. My vet must not have them because she told me she would supply an e collar if needed. i printed out the info to share with her. Hopefully she will stock them for future clients. I think i'll try to order one. better to have it and not use it, than to have miss Dixie pulling at the sutures and no way to stop her. i could always donate it to the vet afterward. Thank you so much!

Ps Seeing how the onezies are so inexpensive i plan to buy some of those tomorrow. She needs to get accustomed to wearing clothing anyway. That and it keeps her still [she mopes and won't play when she is dressed]. This will help her rest and give her stitches a chance to heal.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84455
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, by the way, I think my vet used the cat-sized collar for Catcher. And just an FYI... at the time I got the collar, Catcher was terrible about my "messing" with him on my grooming table.. brushing, etc. So I was afraid that he would fight the collar... but lo and behold... he actually seemed to almost love it... he would stand perfectly still for me to put it on him!

I don't believe the Bite Not company sells to individuals (just vets) but JMM posted the URL of a site that does sell them to the public: http://www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=220104+003&Cat=

·
Registered
313 Posts
i put onezies on l.e. when she came home from the vet. i have a four year old little brother so my mom still has all his baby clothes. l.e. fit in his 6-9 onezies perfectly. i just cut a whole for her tail and made sure i let her go potty often.

·
Registered
58 Posts
when kenji got neutered i was worried about him licking his stitches before they healed so i asked my vet.. not the animal birth control center... what the best method was. The lamp shade is the best way to go. The animal birth control center provided me with the small collar for kenji. I did have to scratch his neck often to relieve itching... just leave the normal collar off. they thread it through the regular collar, but if the lamp shade is the right size, you don't need the regular collar to keep it in place. The plastic lamp shade collar is usually threaded through your pets collar but kenji was so itchy and i vowed never to take it off until it was completely healed... one week... i let him off the lamp shade for about half an hour under supervision so he could be relieved of itching and a soothing sponge wash around his neck. After a while I noticed his normal collar was extra weight and bothersome... I felt bad for the kid.. and he was under supervision so he wasn't going anywhere! I took his regular collar off and left the neck collar on. He was fine with it. There were times where he could almost reach his ex nutt but i was very careful to be there to distract him. His stitches have healed nicely and he doesn't even seem to know they're gone.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
When Sadie and Sassy were spayed (same day), they came home from the vet's with a surgical towel wrapped around their middle and I had to take them back the next day to check stitches. Sadie messed with her stitches, but Sassy never did. The surgical towel gave me an idea and this is what I did for Sadie: I bought wide gauze (4"). I cut a piece that was about 20 inches long. I put the middle of the gauze over the stitches and brought the ends up and tied them on her back. She could potty without the bandage being removed. The wide gauze covered the stitches, but it wasn't heavy or hot like clothes would be. She could eat and drink since her head was not involved.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a good idea too. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jul 25 2005, 08:47 PM
Oh, by the way, I think my vet used the cat-sized collar for Catcher. And just an FYI... at the time I got the collar, Catcher was terrible about my "messing" with him on my grooming table.. brushing, etc. So I was afraid that he would fight the collar... but lo and behold... he actually seemed to almost love it... he would stand perfectly still for me to put it on him!

I don't believe the Bite Not company sells to individuals (just vets) but JMM posted the URL of a site that does sell them to the public: http://www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=220104+003&Cat=
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84459
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for those links! Pixie gets spayed next month and I wanted to get one of those but couldn't remember who had posted about them. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts