Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all probably recall, when Secret came to live with me -- about 3 months ago, Bonnie had her in a very short trim. I haven't trimmed her at all since she's been here, but she's beginning to look pretty shaggy. Her face, in particular, is at the chrysanthemum stage as it was shaved when I got her.

So I have a decision to make. Here are the 4 opions I'm considering:

1. Keep her very short in a Korean style trim;
2. Trim her like Ava and let Secret's ears grow longer(like Ava's);
3. Try to grow her top knot and face and do Cosy's cut on her;
4. Grow her back into full show coat.

She's great about being groomed and has fanastic coat texture so that's not a consideration.

Would appreciate thoughts and feedback. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
If it were me i would grow back into a show coat, that's what i'm going to do with Reese grow out her coat. If you don't want to grow her back to coat then i would opt for choice number 3. I love a topknot on a malt and love a malt in coat, i'm not too fond of the korean cuts.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
If you have the time, I love a full show cut. If not at least grow topknot and ears out. She's such a pretty girl, it's a shame not to have her look glamorous.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Since your other two have topknots I would be afraid that Ms. Secret would miss out on all the beautiful bows if she didn't have a topknot. So, I say at least grow out her topknot - if you want the long coat than go for it - if not, keep it short and start growing her clothing collection :)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If it were me i would grow back into a show coat, that's what i'm going to do with Reese grow out her coat. If you don't want to grow her back to coat then i would opt for choice number 3. I love a topknot on a malt and love a malt in coat, i'm not too fond of the korean cuts.
:thumbsup: What she said!

Try to get through that awkward stage and see how she looks. Since you love to sew and dress your Malts, a shorter cut might end up being more practical, but give it a try.

If you do decide to keep her in a puppy cut, I love the long bobbed faces like Hannah, etc. have. I'm not a fan of the Korean cuts, either.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
I love to give opinions! :biggrin: I say #3. She has such a pretty coat she should have at least some length, and that way she can still wear all those pretty dresses and bows I know you have.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I always prefered the long coat. So if anyone's wondering why ALL of the pics of Star are short - I was caring for a 90+ y.o. at the time and something had to go. :blush:

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
I vote for trying the show coat with Secret. You can always cut it if it's too much. She should at least have a top knot, long ears and medium length like Lacie and Tilly I think. I'm not a fan of the Korean cuts either.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Lynn, I feel you should go with whatever you think will make both you and Secret feel most comfortable. I love Malt's with both long and shorter hair. In my eyes, all our fluff babies are beautiful. :tender:

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
I love a top knot...The body see how it goes either moderate or all the way.. This is what i would do ...In any of the styles she will look adorable..:wub::wub:

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
I love seeing them in bows, but if she doesn't mind the grooming (and meaning not much extra work for you) go for the longer coat.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Secret will look gorgeous with hair of any length.

I prefer Cosy or Ava's cut to the long coat for a pet who isn't maintained in show condition.

How small is Secret? Personally, I think the smaller the dog, the cuter they look with a short cut. Long hair is more photogenic, but really short cuts look just darling in person if the pup is small-- windup toy :wub::wub:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I think I would prefer her in the Cosy cut, but given her hair is already short maybe you could try the Korean (Ava) cut first and see how you like it. You would have to imagine the ears longer I guess for a while but you would get a good idea of how it is for maintenance etc. Then maybe grow it out after that when you are ready for a change.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I definitely vote for the longer look around the face and top knot and if you have time, the show coat look, she's such a pretty little pup, she'd look really sweet in a long cut but I kow that's a lot of work and it's also hard to dress them in more tightly fitting clothes with the longer hair due to matting throughout the day... anything you pick will look gorgeous on Secret though!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts