994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my Maxi who will be 7 months on april 16th
has been doing this weird thing
you know when a pup is wet and they shake it off
well he has been doing that a few times a day and im nervous about this
does anyone elses baby do that
i called my vet and asked the asst on the phone
she said due to the fact that Maxi has an ear infection maybe he is getting one again , i have an appt for him on monday of next week other than him doing this shaking himself off thing
he doesnt act sick

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have no experience with White Shaker syndrome, but below is a link to a good article.

From your post it sounds like Maxi is shaking like he is wet and trying to get water off, not shivering. Tiki will do this often when we are playing. From the article I found (and other sites I have looked at) it sounds like the White Shaker Syndrome is identified by excessive body tremors.

VetCentric

Hope this helps, let us know what you find out from the vet.

Judi

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
it is common for dogs to shake their heads when they have an ear infection, because there is a buildup down the canal and they are trying to shake it out...also it can itch. is he just shaking his head or the whole body?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone , no he is shaking off more of his head
he did have an ear infection a few weeks ago but i have been smelling his ears and it doesnt appear to have any small
he is being neutered next thursday and monday he is being groomed at the vets so im thinking i will have them examine him again

J

·
0 Posts
I had a black lab who use to shake his head...and when he did I knew he had an ear infection. He had a lot of ear infections in his life so everytime he started shaking his head off to the vet we would go. I wouldn't wait until next week to have the vet check, if it is an ear infection you want to start him on medication now before it gets worse.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
do you have any ear cleaner you can flush his ears out with? you don't want the infection to get worse because it can go from an external ear infection to an internal one. common cause of chronic ear infections are food allergies..sounds like the lab probably had food allergies...it is very common for labs.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took Maxi today to the vet and he doesnt have an ear infection
he also weighed in at 9lbs can you believe it he isnt even 7 months yet
he doesnt look it at all , anyway he has to also get 3 teeth pulled on thursday when they neuter him im so nervous about this whole thing
i hope i dont back out
anyway wish us luck

·
Registered
346 Posts
Morgan had a tooth pulled when he was neutered too. Your baby will do just fine, I personally think it is the best way to do it. The fewer times you need to have them put under, the better, in my opinion. Good luck

·
Registered
939 Posts
When we had Tiki neutered 3 teeth were extracted. I agree with kitt001 the fewer times you put them under the better. He recovered with no problems; the vet gave us pain relievers to use as needed. The next day I had to keep the house quiet to keep him quiet.... he just wanted to play!

Maxi will do just fine; it will be harder on you than him :D

Keep us posted you his recovery (and yours!
)

Judi

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Judi

Today he is at the vet with his best friend Diggy getting groomed
the vet has a groomer 3 times a week and the guy does a great job
anyway i am just nervous for Maxi because i dont want him to think i left him, it will be our first time separated and ill be a wreck but hopefully everything will be fine
ill keep you posted

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI,

SOUNDS LIKE THERE MAY STILL BE AN EAR INFECTIONTION GOING ON. THE SHAKING COULD BE JUST TRYING TO "UNCLOG" THE EAR. FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD WHITE SHAKERS' IS TREMORS ... THE WHOLE BODY QUIVERS. KEEP THE VET APPT. WISHING YOU THE BEST!

J

·
0 Posts
Glad to hear that you took him to the vet. Maybe he is shaking his head because of the three teeth...maybe they are a little painful or he is teething. Just keep an eye on him. Don't be worried about the surgery, you are doing the right thing. It is better to have him neutered and teeth pulled at the same time. The least amount of times that he has to have be knocked out the better. Get everything done together.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Everyone
He didnt have an ear infection i took him on saturday the 3rd and the vet checked both ears and said it was fine he still does that but so dos my friends dog, im alittle over the top when it comes to Maxi , I worry about everything with him
its terrible i mean i so love this furbaby that god forbid anything ever happened to him i think i would really be distrraught
anyway let thursday be here and gone already so he can get this neutering over with

J

·
0 Posts
Wanted to wish you good luck tomorrow. I am sure that everything will go fine.

Jami

1 - 16 of 16 Posts