Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to start a "controversial" topic or anything but I just visited that Forum (which I don't do often since I discovered Spoiled Maltese!) and something made me really angry.

I posted my issue (under the name chanel_whiteduck) in the "Fed up with Koko" topic that seems to be VERY popular right now but I doubt it will get through the screening process. I just have problems with the way that board is moderated!

Consider this my censored vent!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh we are all very well aware of how that site is moderated, mostly from past experience. I for one am surprised it is still running at all.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Um ok YIKES...I went and read that post...Poor little Koko. Im glad no one on this forum treats their babies like that. Poor guy...I didnt read all the way through, so I dont know if he found another home or not...but it sure makes me want to help him.

·
Registered
285 Posts
unfortunately I found Maltese Only before I found the WONDERFUL forum.
Needless to say I don't even look at Maltese Only anymore. The whole
post a topic and if you are lucky you will get to read responses 2 days
later is a little extreme for me.

Once again hats off to you Joe for creating such an awesome site. We can
respond in real time and yet everyone still respects everybody here and there
isn't any bashing.

for ya Joe. Just want to make sure you know how much
we all appreciate you even though I am still a rather new one compared
to some, but you all made me feel at home here.

Yeah when do I get to mark my territory here?--Cosmo

·
Registered
552 Posts
I went to the site last night and read the thread about Koko. The topic is very long and I read most of it. I was very shocked at how this person felt toward this little dog, if it is even true. If it is not true then this person has a serious problem thinking up things like this. Either way it is just a terrible thing and I pray that no animal has to suffer of this person's hand.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I found MO first when we had just gotten Indy, I only spent a few weeks there until I found this site
I never felt comfortable there, but I really liked reading info on Maltese, so I was thrilled to find this site
I always wondered about a site that would filter posts before they could even be posted and having to wait so long for a response because of it. Also when I went to post a picture of our Littleman, I read you would be band from posting an image if after two tries you did it wrong and the photo was too large. I thought that was just too much and never even tried to post a photo. That is when I started looking around for another site, I figured they couldn't be the only site about Maltese and I was right
I didn't feel comfortable on a site that did not allow you to actually speak! They would not allow people to get to know each other or post names of anything, so you could help someone out. I just don't see how they manage to keep going with a site that is like that

Joe,
It really does make me want to thank you again for giving us all a nice friendly place to get together and talk about our little ones. Thank you....... thank you....... thank you........

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I've never heard of that site...sounds like I'm not missing much...so, just let me also say thanks to Joe for this wonderful site. I've always loved it here.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Littlemans Mom@Oct 7 2005, 08:27 AM
I found MO first when we had just gotten Indy, I only spent a few weeks there until I found this site  
I never felt comfortable there, but I really liked reading info on Maltese, so I was thrilled to find this site  
  I always wondered about a site that would filter posts before they could even be posted and having to wait so long for a response because of it. Also when I went to post a picture of our Littleman, I read you would be band from posting an image if after two tries you did it wrong and the photo was too large. I thought that was just too much and never even tried to post a photo. That is when I started looking around for another site, I figured they couldn't be the only site about Maltese and I was right  
  I didn't feel comfortable on a site that did not allow you to actually speak! They would not allow people to get to know each other or post names of anything, so you could help someone out. I just don't see how they manage to keep going with a site that is like that  

Joe,
It really does make me want to thank you again for giving us all a nice friendly place to get together and talk about our little ones. Thank you....... thank you....... thank you........

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107395
[/QUOTE]

I feel exactly as you... you said it so well! What amazes me is how some of the posters put up with abuse from the MO site owner and moderators .... They are banned and spoken harshly to, yet beg to be allowed to come back!! :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I also found Mo first before sm. I once in awhile go there and read some of the posts. I read that one about KoKo and that is just awful. Poor baby I wish I could take him home with me. It also seems alot of the people aren't too educated on malteses
All I know is I'm happy I found sm, thanks to Joe for this great site

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Originally posted by Karen542@Oct 7 2005, 08:43 AM
I also found Mo first before sm.  I once in awhile go there and read some of the posts.  I read that one about KoKo and that is just awful.  Poor baby I wish I could take him home with me.  It also seems alot of the people aren't too educated on malteses
  All I know is I'm happy I found sm, thanks to Joe for this great site

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107428
[/QUOTE]

And the newbies on MO will only be educated to a certain extent. It's tough to educate/help others when you're so very limited in what you can post. It's also difficult on the newbies when they have to wait so long for a response, just to find out many were not even approved.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You know there are so many people that I liked over there...and I cared about what was happening in there lives...and yet we could never "talk" or converse so it got to be harder and harder to continue. It has been at least a month since I checked in....and when I did I found it so hard to pull things up and see waiting going on. I left and am in no hurry to return.

Here I know I can actually voice who I am and not worry about some "moderator" thinking he can change my words or not post them at all.

Joe, Thanks for making this site such a wonderful warm welcoming place.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That thread is what got me looking for another forum.

While my heart goes out to Koko and I do believe he is being mistreated, any good that could have come from there was lost when the other members converged on the girl like a pack of ravenous wolves. java script:emoticon(':new_Eyecrazy:') She is obviously an inexperienced owner and I think she may have been trying to get a rise out of them. Maybe some attention too. I do firmly believe that KoKo would be better off with someone more mature to take care of him. I would gladly drive to New York to get him. But if she refuses to give him up then all we can do is try to offer constructive advice that she can use to try and solve the behavior issues, which I think are caused more by her behavior than by Koko's. There was very little constructive criticism and the few people that did say anything less than negative got banned. It was as if the moderators got some kind of perverse pleasure from seeing them rip her to shreds. It seems the only criteria for getting banned from there is disagreeing with Jay.

I am so glad I found this place. It's easier to navigate. And just all the way around a better site, IMO. Especially the people. Y'all seem friendlier and more helpful. One of the members here has helped me to be able to locate a breeder in my area. We will be going out next weekend to visit with her and see her babies. I'm so excited. I can't wait. I want to go now but it's only a week. What's one more week when we have been waiting 2 years. Besides, I can't take the baby home for another 7 weeks. She's only just turned 5 weeks.

I'm so excited. java script:emoticon(':aktion033:') Wish me luck!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
As Scrappy said, if you don't want to be banned from MO, don't say anything about Jay or MO anywhere else. He reads all the other forums, joins secretly, has even threatened our Joe! He is tremendously insecure to say the least!

I was blocked from posting years ago for saying something bad about him on another Forum. I only lasted a couple months, but I had or have no desire to rejoin. The few times I've gone over there since out of boredom, all I see is "post waiting approval". That's new since I belonged before. It was always moderated, but the turn around time wasn't that long.

Yawn, yawn....!

·
Registered
228 Posts
What I found really unbelievable about the 'Fed Up With Koko" thread, was how visciously the members responded to the young (still living at home) girl who posted the topic.

Koko's Mom clearly has alot of issues to sort out and may well be better giving up little Koko, but at the end of the day she has just been foolish, not abusive.
She yells at Koko, shuts him in another room while she eats, and has rushed towards him to scare him if he didn't do as he was told. Obviously that behavior is going to be counter productive and is hard on Koko - but abusive? Not in my opinion. At least not enough to justify MO members calling her a dog abuser, telling her she should never be allowed to have her own children and that they wish her an abusive partner and are disgusted by her. These are just a few examples of the posts directed at this child - and if they are trying to help Koko they are not doing a good job as all they have done is make her defensive and angry. The adult members of MO should know better than this.

MO banned a user called 'puppyluv' for saying something about it, and the Becky the moderator responded saying something along the lines of: 'we at maltese only treat all of our visitors with the utmost respect, and expect you to do the same - you are now banned'.
After that e.mail were several more pages wishing evil luck to Koko's Mom. I no longer wanted to be part of a group who I consider to be such bullys and a moderating team who allow bashing of one side, but either refuse to publish or ban posts from the other. Rules should apply to everyone or no-one in my opinion.

So I wrote a mail to Becky saying as much and am now banned myself! I will say this; I found MO right when we first got Audrey and found the advice and information absolutely invaluable and very enjoyable. However I was not brought up to sit by and see someone get bullied in over 11 pages of abusive posts without saying something. I think it is a great shame for MO that their moderating team are quite so draconian.
Still it wasn't terribly clever for Koko's Mom to write a post like that to one of these websites was it!!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I was baned from MO because I posted (or attempted to post) the link to a poison control web site for dogs. Can you imagine being banned for posting potentially life saving information!!!!

Some of the posters on that forum are very mean spirited and just plain rude, their responses often amaze me. When I am looking for specific information I do occasionally look there because there are some well informed people who participate. But I usually get so frustrated with the rude mean responses that I vow to stay away.

As far as the "posts waiting approval" goes, when you stop and think about it, whith the rsponses that do get through being as meanspirited as they are maybe it's a good thing the post are moderated. Can you imagine the ones that don't??? They seem to need protection from THEMSELVES

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MO banned a user called 'puppyluv' for saying something about it, and the Becky the moderator responded saying something along the lines of: 'we at maltese only treat all of our visitors with the utmost respect, and expect you to do the same - you are now banned'.
After that e.mail were several more pages wishing evil luck to Koko's Mom. I no longer wanted to be part of a group who I consider to be such bullys and a moderating team who allow bashing of one side, but either refuse to publish or ban posts from the other. Rules should apply to everyone or no-one in my opinion.

So I wrote a mail to Becky saying as much and am now banned myself! I will say this; I found MO right when we first got Audrey and found the advice and information absolutely invaluable and very enjoyable. However I was not brought up to sit by and see someone get bullied in over 11 pages of abusive posts without saying something. I think it is a great shame for MO that their moderating team are quite so draconian.[/B]
These were my thoughts exactly! As I expected, my post was NOT approved and I don't know whether or not I have been banned - but hoenstly, I don't care.

For anyone curious, this is what my post said:

------------------------

This post probably won't make it through the screening process but it is intended for the moderators anyway.

First of all, I'd like to make it clear that I an in no way commenting on the situation Koko's mom is in with her pup, rather the moderation of this board.

There is a clear double standard running here. You've banned two members for their verbal mistreatment of the members you cherish. Yet Koko, another member of the Forum, has undergone countless verbal attacks and petty name-calling without being afforded the same benefits of membership. If the situation was reversed and one of your more "popular" members were being called any of these names, those name-callers would be immediately banned.

I think your system is faulty and this double standard defeats the purpose of having such a controlled Forum.

-----------------------

Yeah, that probably got me banned. I'm sorry, but I have strong feelings when it comes to human rights and MO is more of a tyranny than a democracy. A lot of the members there also have this sort of gang mentality where they wait for weakness and pounce when they see it, as is evident in this 15-page post. Any other post of this length would have usually been closed by the moderators a long time ago, but the fact that it remains open proves that the moderators share the same mentality.

That post and what it revealed has just disgusted me and I will not be returning to that Forum.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Something to think about ........

I know someone who was a MO moderator in the very beginning and according to her, Jay made up posts to get things stirred up and provoke controversy when the forum was slow.

So who knows if the Koko saga is even true?

·
Registered
228 Posts
A lot of the members there also have this sort of gang mentality where they wait for weakness and pounce when they see it, as is evident in this 15-page post. Any other post of this length would have usually been closed by the moderators a long time ago, but the fact that it remains open proves that the moderators share the same mentality.

That post and what it revealed has just disgusted me and I will not be returning to that Forum.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107540
These were my thoughts also - I simply cannot be a part of that stuff, and I think sitting back and letting it happen is as bad as actually taking part IMHO. I knew I would be banned, but couldn't not say anything. If they felt that what I said warrented censorship (they didn't publish it) and banning, then it simply isn't a place that I wish to expose myself to.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.