Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a maltese forum, but as animal lovers I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on this proposed breed ban in Ontario, Canada. I personally have mixed feelings. On one hand Gizmo and I were attacked in a park by a pitbull a few months ago. It was muzzled so we only got out with scratches, however Gizmo has had a significant psychological trauma since then and is afraid of other dogs now (he wasn't before). On the other hand, if the precendent is set for one breed ban, there could be others (Rotweillers for example, which I love). I personally wouldn't want MY breed banned.

What say y'all?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Do they have a leash law where all dogs need to be on a leash when outside? They should resort to that first.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Like mylittlebella said they are banned in Miami-Dade I think its becuase its kinda common for people to set up fightes with them there. Personly I don't like the idea of a ban I have met a lot of really sweet pit bulls and pit mixes. I forget where I heard or read this but its like that pit bulls get very attached to there owners and can mistake a lot of things as attacks on their owners. I would support some type of restriction of the breed becuase they are not right for everyone they need a lot of work, but I think a chow chow (which I think are one of the most beautiful dogs) is more dangerous than a pit bull though lol

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Nov 15 2004, 11:03 PM
Even restricting the dogs to leash or in back yard, there will always be those that do not abide by the law and if it comes down to fine, usually they say just take the dog - then what do they do, turn around and go get another.

I must admit that breed does scare me.  Several years ago an old friend of mine her dumb boyfriend had pitbulls and he let one of his have pups.  Well I tell you I never was so scared and frightened in my life of any dog until I met his female pitbull.  I remember her pacing back and forth in her pen in the backyard - with the hug stud collar - snorting etc  and watching me like a hawk.  No doubt she felt my fear and no doubt that was her reaction to my fear.  But on the other hand I have met a couple of very gentle pit bulls. 
You may be right about the leash law, BUT, I think that they should resort to that first rather than completely banning a breed. And if the dog isn't on a leash and attacks someone or another dog, I'm sure that the owners will be penalized.

Was the pitpull that was pregnant protecting her babies? I knew someone who had a Britney (I think???) and she was the BEST companion, but after she had her liter, it doesn't matter who you are, if you touch her babies, she'll bite the crap outta you.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by mee@Nov 15 2004, 07:51 PM
do pitbulls naturally attack ppl?

or r they just trained and raised to be like that??

i hear that there are some really really gentle pitbulls..

i was just curious

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16511
[/QUOTE]

I think that with any animal/breed it depends mostly on the raising and training that they receive. There may be some genetics/breeding to it...but I don't believe that much. I think that if an animal is raised with love and gentleness...then for the most part...that is what it will know...BUT...then I see my sweet Brinkley go NUTS when someone comes to visit!
He sounds mean, but his tail is wagging, so I don't think it is all the same thing...he just WANTS to PRETEND he is ferocious!!!
Poor thing, with his "small dog syndrome"!

I do agree that if you ban the breed, others will be used for the same fighting/training purposes. Breeds such as the Rotties, dobermans, etc. Some breeds it is harder to imagine being mean and scary...like my lab! She would just lick someone to death and smile all over them! My bassett on the other hand would knock them down because she MUST put her paws up on you and she is so big and heavy! But mean?! I don't think it is in them! Brinkley acts meaner than those two have EVER thought about acting!

I think I have rambled...and I don't even know if I have made a point!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Kansas City banned them because there were a lot of attacks and a lot of people were doing the pit bull fighting. Which is also illegal from what I have understood. Every week there was at least 2 pitbull attacks on small children or adults for quite awhile. Then like I said htey started doing the pit bull fighting rings, so I think that is why they are illegal in the city limits of KC.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by mee@Nov 15 2004, 07:51 PM
do pitbulls naturally attack ppl?

or r they just trained and raised to be like that??

i hear that there are some really really gentle pitbulls..

i was just curious

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16511
[/QUOTE]
Cute picture of your avatar of your baby! (off topic..lol)

My cousin has two commonly known mean dogs... a Rottie and Dobermen. Hes having a really hard time gettin a place to live... all the condo/apartments do not allow the Rottie or a Pitbull... He told me that he doesnt understand how the Dobermen is okay... he said those dogs can be even more vicious than a Rottie. I dont know that much about these breeds except that if trainned to all three of these breeds can hurt someone really bad or kill them! I do not think my cousin can even train his dogs correctly... thats the problem! These people getting these dogs (not all of them but most) are not responsible people. The dogs are not trainned correctly, not bred correctly, and not treated correctly (my one neighbor bought one of these breeds just to watch their house... they kept it outside ALLLL year round.. that is not how you treat these breeds). So do I think they or any breed should be banned?... I wish it was a world that you have to be evaluated to buy a dog... and someone checks on the dog .. like what they do for adoptions. It would cut down on animal abuse! I dont see this happening... so i can see why some places are banning the breeds.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
There was a story on pit bulls that were being trained to fight in Murfreesboro, TN. I think they said it was an MTSU teacher that owned a bunch of them. It was horrendous! The dogs were all bony and he had these whips with spikes on them and there were blood splats all over the walls of his home and there was this huge exercise wheel in the home and they all lived in the shed. They didn't look mean though. They looked more scared and pathetic. Of course I wouldn't want to be near them since they were trained to kill :/.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasn't one of the ones in the news, but it was surreal. You see it coming toward you and you first think "this can't be happening", and then you think "there's no way I am coming out of this because it'll have to go through me to get to my dog", and then I jumped on top of Gizmo to protect him knowing that it would make me the target. It was just after that shitzu got torn apart. I couldn't watch taht happen to my dog.

Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Nov 16 2004, 12:03 AM
A hard one to call, how do you ban one breed, later that might lead to other breeds.  Such as Rotties.  If pit bulls are banned, the people wanting pit bulls for the sake of fighting, who is not to say that Rotties and other breeds will not start being breed for fighting - unfortanately there will always be those people out there that want a tough image dog. 

Even restricting the dogs to leash or in back yard, there will always be those that do not abide by the law and if it comes down to fine, usually they say just take the dog - then what do they do, turn around and go get another.

Do you enforce it from the source - the breeders.  And we all know how slack those enforcements are.  That would be a costly undertaking - what would that involve a DNA of each and every pit bull so not to breed it if it is already inbred?

I must admit that breed does scare me.  Several years ago an old friend of mine her dumb boyfriend had pitbulls and he let one of his have pups.  Well I tell you I never was so scared and frightened in my life of any dog until I met his female pitbull.  I remember her pacing back and forth in her pen in the backyard - with the hug stud collar - snorting etc  and watching me like a hawk.  No doubt she felt my fear and no doubt that was her reaction to my fear.  But on the other hand I have met a couple of very gentle pit bulls. 

Gizzmo'smom that had to be quite the scare for you.  Were you one of the ones in the news?  Around that time there were several pit bull attacks in and around the Toronto area  - as my friend who lives back there was filling me in on all the attacks.

Poor Gizmo, hopefully in time he will come around to realize all doggies are not mean.  Sure would have scared the crap outta me, so I can imagine how frigtening it is for a little guy.  It is like us being attacked by a grizzly bear!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16555
[/QUOTE]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts