Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have planned vacation, I have a Petsitter that lives in my neighborhood and she has been very good. I have never left Mercedes overnight alone but I have left the boy's many times. When I talked to her she had someone that could sleep at my house, a 20 year old women who helps her, tonight i found out the women is out of town so she said her son could stay overnight, I know he has been helping her for years with her business. My problem is the boy will be 18 on Feb 20, I believe he is a very good kid and my pet's like him. Do you think he is to young? I am going to meet him tomorrow with his Mom. If I do not have him stay they will come over at night and put them to bed around 10.I really do not want to board them. I know they will be happy at home. They sleep in the kennels at night and during the day they will be gated in the hall and bathroom. I do not want Mercedes or Edgar falling off the sofa or getting hurt, plus Edgar has had stress seizures. I plan to have them visit 3 times a day but I really wanted someone to sleep overnight. What do you think I shoud do, let him stay, his Mom is just about 1/2 mile or less away or let them stay alone.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Cathy, if your pets like him and you've met him and liked him i would let him do the stayover if it were me. Some kids at that age are very mature and since he's been helping with his mom's business he knows what to do and i don't think his mom would recommend him if she wasn't sure he would be ok doing it whether or not it was her son. I don't think she would jepordize her business by recommending her son, i know i wouldn't if it were something that i worked so hard at establishing.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cathy, if your pets like him and you've met him and liked him i would let him do the stayover if it were me. Some kids at that age are very mature and since he's been helping with his mom's business he knows what to do and i don't think his mom would recommend him if she wasn't sure he would be ok doing it whether or not it was her son. I don't think she would jepordize her business by recommending her son, i know i wouldn't if it were something that i worked so hard at establishing.
She is a very good sitter, she has several clients on my street. I think you made a great point about her not wanting hurt her business.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I would trust him if his mom is comfortable using him. Its a good idea to meet him first so that you are comfortable with him (of course!).

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I would feel comfortable allowing him to stay the night with your babies. It sounds like he is responsible enough to help out with his mom's business and she would not suggest having him stay at your house if she did not think he could do the job. 18 really isn't all that young in my opinion. I am sure you can call to check in with him or his mother if needed, so I would try not to worry. Having him stay overnight is better than not having anyone stay through the night also, I think. It is always nice having the peace of mind knowing that if something were to happen to the dogs that someone is there to be alerted by them.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
I honestly don't think she would have her son sleep at your house if she didn't trust him. So just make sure anything personal and worrysome is put away where he can't find it.

If you've met him and still are worried, listen to your gut feelings....

it's hard for us to say without knowing him at all.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
There is also an advantage of having someone there, just in case of problems with the house itself. I'd alert a neighbor also that you will be gone, so no partiesetc.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
I agree - trust your gut after you meet him. See that he makes good eye contact with you (always a tip off to me as far as commitment goes). I don't think his mom would have suggested him if she didn't trust him. Think today about some questions for him or role playing "what if this happened..." to see how he'll do. Kind of like when I used to interview babysitters. His mom at least will be right nearby.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts