Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to take Lexi to the vet yesterday to get a bordatella (sp bad) thing. I ask the vet about an alternative to brushing her teeth everyday and he told me they recommend OraVet. It comes in a "8 week home care kit", they said though I should be able to stretch it into 24 weeks or longer.

OraVet

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I was looking at that when Peanut got his teeth cleaned. I know you only started recently, but do you think it works? I have the petrodex gel to squirt along Peanut's teeth, but I would love something more effective. I HATE brushing his teeth because after the cleaning, we had to start from square one again. He didn't want anyone near his mouth. So months of training to make him accept getting his teeth brushed when down the toilet

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me get back to you in about a month. I've never used anything like this so I thought what the heck, its worth a shot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Zoe has OraVet too. She's been on it since she got spayed (3 months ago) but I still brush her teeth. In fact, I thought that you only put the gel on after you brushed the dogs teeth, so every time I put the gel on I brush her teeth first. I use the weird little finger rubber thimble things to brush and she likes that better than the baby toothbrush I was using. She doesn't like brushing teeth at all but she's way better about the gel.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The vet gave me a pamplet on OraVet and it says in it:
If I brush my pet's teeth regularly, should I use OraVet Plaque Prevention Gel?
Yes. The gel is effective with or without regular brushing and it's easy to integrate into your regular pet dental care routine.  Simply apply the gel once a week as directed.[/B]

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
we learned about this product briefly from a local vet who does a lot of dental work. he seemed to really like the product. how long does the 24$ supply last. i seem to remember him acting like it was expensive, but dont know for sure.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is supposedly an 8 week supply. Each weeks supply is in an individual container. You can stretch each one into 2-4 applications. Since the maltese's mouths are small you don't need much. You just press foil thing back over the opening. You can reuse the swap thing.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
OOOOH I need this. Wonder if regular petstores have this.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is only available from a vet's office. There might be some other product like it at the pet stores but it might not work at well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just went to the vet yesterday and I asked about the OraVet. She said that even though a lot of people say that you don't have to brush if you do the gel, it's really recommended that you do so everyday anyway. It's been a struggle, but Zoe is getting better about it and I want to postpone her first teeth cleaning for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts