Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new member Jodi just posted this link to order inspection reports on the puppy mill your puppy came from:

https://foia.aphis.usda.gov/request.html

She got the link from NoPuppyMills.com. Here were the instructions:

Ordering USDA Inspection Reports

The Freedom of Information Act allows you to view public records, which include licensees under the Animal Welfare Act. If you would like to order copies of your puppy's breeder's USDA inspections, you may do so by clicking on this link:

https://foia.aphis.usda.gov/request.html (note: You may get a security warning when entering this site. This is standard procedure when entering a secure website. It is okay to click 'yes' to continue if you get a warning)

Don't let the box about the fees discourage you. I have ordered many inspection reports and have never been charged a fee. I don't know anyone that has ever ordered them and been charged anything. The reports normally take about 2 weeks to get back.

Your request should specifically ask for all inspection reports for the last 3 years, to include photographs and administrative action that may have been taken. Include all the breeders licensing information, such as name, address, USDA number, city, state and zip.

If you want to send the request in by regular mail, CLICK HERE to print a form that you will be sending to USDA (Don't send this form to me!) for more information on your breeder/broker. Mail your request to:

USDA, APHIS, LPA, FOIA
4700 River Road Unit 50
Riverdale, MD 20737-1232

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks Marj. I am waiting for Joe to move that thread over to this board. I don't know if he reads every post and he will notice it or if I should private message him and tell him I posted in the wrong place. Anyway thanks again Marj. I think you were the one that gave me that link last year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, that was fast! I submitted it this morning and I have already recieved the report.

The breeder was inspected 3 times in the past 2 years and each report said-

No non-compliances identified this inspection.

What does that mean, that things were fine and in compliance? I guess that makes me feel better as the last inspection was just done in July and my puppy was 4 weeks at the time. The breeder told me she was USDA but I was so naive I thought that was a good thing at the time! Also she shared that the instcters come with no notice and her dogs are DNA tested....

She says she is a hobby breeder....

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good that the breeder was inspected as recently as July and no violations were found. It means that her cages were clean, not too many stacked on top of one another, fresh water and food were available, etc. It could have been a lot worse.

The bad news is that she is no "hobby breeder". Hobby breeders aren't required to be licensed by the USDA. It's only the breeders that have 4 or more intact females, sell to pet shops and brokers, and do a large volume of business that are regulated by the USDA. That's why they are called "mills" because they churn out puppies.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
At least yours was a decent puppy mill. At least they had clean cages and clean food and water. I would still be upset with the knowledge that the dog is a puppy mill dog but at least it wasn't laying in it's own filth before it was sent to the pet store or wherever it was sent to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts