Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Other Fatal Attacks

4K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  joe 
#1 ·
Found this very interesting and even more of a reaon that no child should be unsupervised with ANY dog. The pom that killed the baby was in CA.

Dachshund Put to Death After Mauling Md. Baby
Lovers of Breed Campaigned to Save Dog

By Michael Amon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 27, 2002; Page B02

A dachshund that police said dragged a 6-week-old baby from his playpen and mauled him was put to death yesterday, St. Mary's County animal control officials said, ending a 10-day effort by the breed's admirers to save the tiny dog.

The 4-year-old male miniature dachshund died at 9:38 a.m., quickly succumbing to a lethal dose of sodium pentobarbital at the Tri-County Animal Shelter in Hughesville, in Charles County, said Dave Wagner, the facility's assistant supervisor. "It was less than two minutes before his heart completely stopped," he said.

The death was requested by the parents of Andrew Tyler Meyers, whose mother found him being attacked on the floor by the family's dachshund Dec. 15, Maryland State Police said. The boy suffered severe injuries to his feet, legs and head, and at one point upon reaching Children's Hospital in Washington, he stopped breathing and had to be resuscitated, police said.

Andrew was in critical condition for several days, but his condition is now fair, a hospital spokesman said.

Michael and Andrea Meyers, of St. Mary's City, have declined numerous requests for interviews. Ina Eaves of Dachshund Rescue of North America, which had tried to save the dog from being destroyed, said St. Mary's animal control officials told her that Andrew may have trouble walking when he gets older.

The actions of the black and brown purebred dachshund -- and their consequences -- have had lovers of the breed talking all week. On dachshundzone.com, a message board was filled with speculation about what motivated the dog.

"It is obvious that the dog is mentally disturbed," wrote Jen, who said she owns five dachshunds.

Some were still unconvinced of the dachshund's guilt. Others wondered whether the dog could have been rehabilitated by a rescue group.

Dachshund Rescue of North America worked throughout the week to line up several families willing to take the dog. Eaves, 49, traveled to St. Mary's County from her home in Woodbridge early yesterday to try one last time to persuade animal control officials to let the dog go.

But the officials declined. For one thing, said animal control director Tony Malaspina, the family requested that the dog die. And, he said, the chance that it would bite again was too great.

Animals that bite are being killed more often nationwide because of the risk of liability for shelters and previous owners if the animal bites again, said Richard H. Polsky, a Los Angeles animal behavior expert who testified in last summer's San Francisco dog mauling trial.

"It is not a good time for dog owners who have aggressive dogs," he said.

A state police investigation determined that the dachshund was responsible for the child's wounds. A detective briefly investigated the possibility that the family's other dog, a large black Labrador retriever, had mauled the child, but the larger animal was not around the baby when the attack occurred, police said.

And the evidence against the dachshund was damning, police said. The dog was seen by Andrea Meyers attacking her son, and it had blood on its paws when police arrived, said Lt. Brian Cedar.

When the dog was taken to St. Mary's animal control, "his eyes were kind of bugged out like he was staring at something," said animal warden Jim Wood. "A lot of times that means they are a fear biter, that they are scared."

Though dachshund attacks are extremely rare -- Polsky could not recall hearing of another one -- the dogs are not considered good pets for small children.

The dachshund was originally bred in Germany to be a hunter of small, burrowing vermin. In 1999, dachshunds were designated "not good" for children in the annual report of the American Kennel Club, but the group rescinded the classification when dachshund lovers denounced the report.

Polsky said small dogs have killed children. Last year, a Pomeranian killed a 6-week-old in Los Angeles while the baby's caretaker was briefly away.

"More often than not, the dog mistakes the infant for some sort of prey object," Polsky said. "They hear some high-pitched noise or cry, and the dog attacks the infant."

#2 ·
I guess that just goes to show, you can't leave any child and/or dog unsupervised. Harm may come to both. Sad, very sad.

#3 ·
Yes very sad indeed, and it's not just dogs that can do damage either, I was bitten by a neighbor's cat once and it bit right through my thumb and nail and that was a very nasty bite. All I did was to try to pick it up and it turned on me. I had a very sore thumb for quite some time.

#4 ·
Let me guess. In order for the dog to be able to reach the child, they had to be at the same level. What on earth did those 6 weeks old babies do on the same level then the dog ? Aren't they supposed to be in a crib ? They certainly should not be on the floor.
Do I understand right ? A 6 weeks old baby in a play pen ??

#5 ·
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Aug 8 2005, 06:34 PM
Let me guess. In order for the dog to be able to reach the child, they had to be at the same level. What on earth did those 6 weeks old babies do on the same level then the dog ? Aren't they supposed to be in a crib ? They certainly should not be on the floor.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88521
[/QUOTE]

That's what I wandered too. I wouldn't trust any dog with a baby unsupervised. And of course the baby should be in a crib!! Wouldn't the baby be able to fall off otherwise?

#6 ·
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Aug 8 2005, 09:34 PM

[/QUOTE]

I would have thought the very same thing. Had the baby been out of reach it probably would never have happened and besides who would leave a baby unattended with the dog anyway?

#7 ·
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Aug 8 2005, 08:34 PM

[/QUOTE]

I can see putting the baby in the play pen...I can't understand how that size dog got into the playpen and got the baby OUT of the playpen myself.

I just don't get it...

#8 ·
Originally posted by tlunn+Aug 8 2005, 08:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MalteseJane
@Aug 8 2005, 08:34 PM

I can see putting the baby in the play pen...I can't understand how that size dog got into the playpen and got the baby OUT of the playpen myself.

I just don't get it...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88537
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, I can understand the playpen, too. I am just having trouble imagining a 6 pound dog jumping into the playpen and dragging the child back out over the rail. Makes no sense to me. And why didn't the parents just take the dog to their family vet and have it put down? Wonder if there is more to the story?

#9 ·
Originally posted by msmagnolia+Aug 8 2005, 09:52 PM-->
Originally posted by tlunn@Aug 8 2005, 08:03 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MalteseJane
@Aug 8 2005, 08:34 PM

I just don't get it...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88537

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I can understand the playpen, too. I am just having trouble imagining a 6 pound dog jumping into the playpen and dragging the child back out over the rail. Makes no sense to me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88566
[/B][/QUOTE]
That is what I was thinking. How the heck could a small dog get into a playpen and then drag a baby out? Doesn't make sense. I can maybe believe dragging across the floor or off a couch but not out of a playpen. Just doesn't make sense.

#11 ·
Wonder if this story is one of those internet hoaxes, although Snopes does not have it listed. It is odd that the Maryland State Police would be involved... wouldn't just the local police deal with this sort of thing?

Plus, it is odd that the death of the dog was described in detail. I have never seen such a detailed description of a dog's dying in the newspaper before.

I checked out "dachshundzone.com" that was mentioned in the article, and there is no such web site.

This was not a "fatal" attack... the article reports that the child did not die. It is still horrific nonetheless, if it is true.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Aug 9 2005, 06:35 AM
Wonder if this story is one of those internet hoaxes, although Snopes does not have it listed. It is odd that the Maryland State Police would be involved... wouldn't just the local police deal with this sort of thing?

Plus, it is odd that the death of the dog was described in detail. I have never seen such a detailed description of a dog's dying in the newspaper before.

I checked out "dachshundzone.com" that was mentioned in the article, and there is no such web site.

This was not a "fatal" attack... the article reports that the child did not die. It is still horrific nonetheless, if it is true.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88618
[/QUOTE]

The pom in CA is the "fatal" attack. It isn't an internet hoax, however it did happen years ago. That article is pulled from newspaper archieves washington post to be specific.

Here from the CNN archieves is the Pom story. This is why I decided to post these no one can believe such a small dog would/or could do these things. But they are capable. And it also will maybe show for some that in most all dog bites and/or attacks there is a human at fault.

Small dog kills 6-week-old girl in California
October 9, 2000
Web posted at: 6:17 AM EDT (1017 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A small Pomeranian dog killed a 6-week-old baby while the infant's caretaker briefly left the child unattended to warm a bottle of milk, authorities in Los Angeles said.

The relative, who was caring for the infant girl, found her head buried in the dog's mouth Saturday night, sheriff's Deputy Cruz Solis said. The girl died of head trauma at an area hospital, he said.

The baby's name was withheld because her parents were out of the country and had not been notified, Solis said.

The relative has not been charged. Animal control officers took the dog.

Pomeranians are a breed of miniature canines that have a foxlike face, pointy ears and long, fluffy hair. The deputy said Pomeranian attacks are rare.

"Obviously it doesn't take much to kill a 6-week old baby but it's not something that happens with that breed," Solis said.

Copyright 2000 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

#13 ·
Originally posted by dhodina+Aug 9 2005, 06:03 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Aug 9 2005, 06:35 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88618
The pom in CA is the "fatal" attack. It isn't an internet hoax, however it did happen years ago. That article is pulled from newspaper archieves washington post to be specific.

Here from the CNN archieves is the Pom story. This is why I decided to post these no one can believe such a small dog would/or could do these things. But they are capable. And it also will maybe show for some that in most all dog bites and/or attacks there is a human at fault.

Small dog kills 6-week-old girl in California
October 9, 2000
Web posted at: 6:17 AM EDT (1017 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A small Pomeranian dog killed a 6-week-old baby while the infant's caretaker briefly left the child unattended to warm a bottle of milk, authorities in Los Angeles said.

The relative, who was caring for the infant girl, found her head buried in the dog's mouth Saturday night, sheriff's Deputy Cruz Solis said. The girl died of head trauma at an area hospital, he said.

The baby's name was withheld because her parents were out of the country and had not been notified, Solis said.

The relative has not been charged. Animal control officers took the dog.

Pomeranians are a breed of miniature canines that have a foxlike face, pointy ears and long, fluffy hair. The deputy said Pomeranian attacks are rare.

"Obviously it doesn't take much to kill a 6-week old baby but it's not something that happens with that breed," Solis said.

Copyright 2000 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88629
[/B][/QUOTE]

This is a maltese forum. Take your crusade elsewhere, please!

#16 ·
I think I may have missed something. Wasn't the Original Poster trying to point out not to leave children unattended with dogs -no matter how small or large?

While I find the stories to be kind of odd I agree that small children should be watched with any animal.

#17 ·
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Aug 9 2005, 10:07 AM
I think I may have missed something.  Wasn't the Original Poster trying to point out not to leave children unattended with dogs -no matter how small or large? 

While I find the stories to be kind of odd I agree that small children should be watched with any animal.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88683
[/QUOTE]

That was my original point. I found them while researching for an article I am writing. I found it interesting and posted no. A crusade to keep kids safe yeah I am guilty of it I guess.

#18 ·
Very sad....I feel for the parents of both these children. I can't imagine what I would do if it had of been my baby.

My husband has a friend and they have a pom. He is the sweetest dog. Well to surprise his wife he got her a yorkie for her birthday the next morning they woke up to the worst sound and the pom was killing the yorkie.

dhodina sorry someone felt the need to be rude to you. It was uncalled for. And this article might keep some other child safe. thanks

#19 ·
Originally posted by HollyHobbie@Aug 9 2005, 10:32 AM
Very sad....I feel for the parents of both these children. I can't imagine what I would do if it had of been my baby.

My husband has a friend and they have a pom. He is the sweetest dog. Well to surprise his wife he got her a yorkie for her birthday the next morning they woke up to the worst sound and the pom was killing the yorkie.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88689
[/QUOTE]
OMG!! That is horrible!

Originally posted by HollyHobbie@Aug 9 2005, 10:32 AM
dhodina sorry someone felt the need to be rude to you. It was uncalled for. And this article might keep some other child safe. thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88689
[/QUOTE]
I agree!

#21 ·
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Aug 9 2005, 07:36 AM
found her head buried in the dog's mouth
Did not know a pomeranian had a mouth big enough to bury a baby's head in it ! Sounds fishy to me like the other story.

If it's true, it's sad of course.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88667
[/B][/QUOTE]

I was trying to picture the pom and baby and while its clear that a pom could bite the baby to death, babies do have large heads and I don't see how a baby's head would fit into the pom's mouth.

I totally agree that babies should NEVER be left unsupervised around ANY animals, but it does seem that perhaps posting multiple stories may have a different motive .... Either way, isn't it enough?? The point is clear...all dogs are animals and may be unpredictable. We get it.

These stories are not going to make me go out and adopt or save a pitbull. I have my hands full with a small dog. And I realized the danger my own dog poses to children without these stories.

#22 ·

These stories are not going to make me go out and adopt or save a pitbull. I have my hands full with a small dog. And I realized the danger my own dog poses to children without these stories.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88766
[/QUOTE]

Did anyone ask you too? So far you are the only one who mentioned adopting anything. And you have a small dog with aggression issues may this serve as a reminder than even in the two seconds it takes to warm up a bottle something can happen. I will be the first to admit that as a mother with a newborn it is so easy to leave the baby for 2 seconds playing quietly on the blanket while you run warm the bottle or answer the phone. The point of this has nothing to do with pitbulls but the fact that we need to remember just because we have small dogs they can inflict damage and that should never be forgotten. So maybe yall should drop your crusade against me.

#23 ·
I don't have a crusade against you. In fact I said something when someone mentioned something about peeing in your cereal - I said there was no need for it. What I don't appreciate is your rudeness. And I will point it out because I don't see a need for it from anyone. No one needs to "check their facts before speaking". And by the way - my dog with "agression issues" is a LOT safer than a pitbull with "agression issues" (not to mention CUTER) no matter what you say.

#24 ·
Originally posted by okw@Aug 9 2005, 02:19 PM
I don't have a crusade against you.  In fact I said something when someone mentioned something about peeing in your cereal - I said there was no need for it.  What I don't appreciate is your rudeness.  And I will point it out because I don't see a need for it from anyone.  No one needs to "check their facts before speaking".  And by the way - my dog with "agression issues" is a LOT safer than a pitbull with "agression issues" (not to mention CUTER) no matter what you say.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88782
[/QUOTE]

Hmm our rescue puts pits with aggession issues to sleep. Ever heard the statement a face only a mother could love.

Nothing in my original posts was rude to anyone yall choose to set the tone, don't be upset if someone doesn't back down.

#25 ·
Thanks for the articles...the lesson here (regardless of facts, or not)is that no animal should be taken for granted and that NO small child (especially babies) should ever be left alone with an animal. Too bad we don't live in a perfect world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.