Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-family:Times">my vet currently gave me Otomax to use on Peaches for her ear infection. Im happy her ear is getting treated, the only thing I dont like is the greasiness of the medication

Its so greasy that it eventually spreads throughout her whole head and makes her look like she hasnt had a bath in weeks. I try to clean her with puppy wipes afterwards but it doesnt seem to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the greasy residue?</span>

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Since you have to use it everyday, it maybe best to just "grin and bear it". My first Maltese, Rosebud, had ear infections a lot and I used that greasy stuff, too... it is indeed a mess. I can't remember if there way an alternative or not... You may want to check with your vet and see if there is the same medicine in another form. On a dog with short hair it wouldn't be such a problem, but with Malts... it is some nasty stuff!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady came to me with a horrible yeast infection in both ears and she too had to have Otomax. Not only is it a greasy mess, the red ear gunk oozes out with it so she had a greasy orange head!

Try putting a little cornstarch on her hair where it's greasy. It will absorb the grease and make it a little easier to wash out.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Chesley had a ear infection two month after we picked her up.
I can't remember the name of the ointment they gave her.
They were like drops. Clear white. It was still greasy but not as greasy as describe here. Chesley had a ear infection two month after we picked her up.
I can't remember the name of the ointment they gave her.
They were like drops. Clear cream white. It was still greasy but not as greasy as describe here. Once it was put in the ear canal it did not come out.
Only the hair near the canal of the ear was greasy. It did not get on the rest of her coat.
You may want to ask your vet for something else, but you will end up loosing the money you spent on this bottle.
. I was told to use it for two weeks but we ended up using it for 4 weeks. I don't think puppy will mind the greasy ears... I think it bothers us more then them.
Only the hair near the canal of the ear was greasy. It did not get on the rest of her coat.
You may want to ask your vet for something else, but you will end up loosing the money you spent on this bottle.
. I was told to use it for two weeks but we ended up using it for 4 weeks. I don't think puppy will mind the greasy ears... I think it bothers us more then them. The good thing is the ear infection will be gone
p.s remember to give puppy a treat after you put it in the ears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts