Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Our 4 month baby

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jsbrook 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello to everyone! Lovely people !
We got our little Milou when he was a tiny little baby .
He is 4 months now .
He bites everything and seems to have an undeniable preferance to our legs
Sometimes it hurts really much we are currently in the awkward teething phase hope he and we lol will get though this.
You can see pictures of him in a poll a started trying to figure out what type of Maltese mix is.
I hope you are all well giving lots of love to our furry friends

#2 ·
Welcome, Greta and Milou! He is so adorable!! I voted Coton. You said he was a tiny baby when you adopted him--how old was he? They learn bite inhibition from their mom and littermates if they stay with them until at least 12 weeks old, so perhaps he came home a bit early. Still, the teething phase (aka land shark phase) is usually finished by 5-6 mos., so you're almost there, thank goodness!

#4 ·
Thank you so much for your reply !!! Both of you !
I already love you for saying all these beautiful things ! We got him early because the mother was suffering after his and their siblings difficult birth . There was another dog in the house of the woman that we took him from and he couldn't stand the puppies so we came to his rescue ! Lol I hope this shark phase will end soon !! Lots of love we are so happy to be here !!

#3 ·
Welcome to SM!
I agree 100% with what Zooeysmom said. Bite Inhibition is another important reason not to separate pups from mom & littermates before they are at least 12 weeks old.

When pups are "playing" with mom and each other if one bites to sharply the others will squeal loudly. You could try "squealing" loudly too and say "no." If you are playing and he bites i'd immediately end the playing session. If I am rough playing with Abella and she gets a little to mouthy I say "No Bite". She has learned what this means and softens her grip immediately so play can continue. Be patient. Training in the puppy phase is so worthwhile - You will reap the rewards of your time spent for years to come. I will go over to your name suggestion post and vote. Please keep us updated to your progress.
🐶 🐾🌻

Reactions: zooeysmom
#7 ·
Welcome to SM!
I agree 100% with what Zooeysmom said. Bite Inhibition is another important reason not to separate pups from mom & littermates before they are at least 12 weeks old.

When pups are "playing" with mom and each other if one bites to sharply the others will squeal loudly. You could try "squealing" loudly too and say "no." If you are playing and he bites i'd immediately end the playing session. If I am rough playing with Abella and she gets a little to mouthy I say "No Bite". She has learned what this means and softens her grip immediately so play can continue. Be patient. Training in the puppy phase is so worthwhile - You will reap the rewards of your time spent for years to come. I will go over to your name suggestion post and vote. Please keep us updated to your progress.
🐶 🐾🌻
I think saying No and No Bite with bass in your voice is effective. Was for me anyway and disengaging and walking away if it's really out of control. My puppy learned really quickly. Squealing did not work. I think a lot of dogs view squealing and high pitches as excitement, and it eggs them on. We're not dogs, and they know it. Also, praising and petting when they are being more gentle after being corrected. OP, I think this is a good video on bite training: I also agree with the dog socialization. Look into a top doggie daycare if you don't have a good dog social group.

#8 ·
That is a very good video, jsbrook. For me personally, I have a VERY accurate puppy yip and it worked on my dogs, but I know it doesn't work for most people. Also, I have had to put some of our pups in an x-pen when they got too nippy--just walking away or constantly giving feedback would have run me ragged!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.