Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might remember the first of the month Lamby had bladder infection. Im taking her back today as she is acting like she is not feeling well again.

But that got me to thinking about everones babies that have had sugeries or have been sick.I started going through all the threads,but decided to start a new one so everyone could report in on how their babes are doing. Seems like there for awhile we all had alot going on.

So for those who have been sick,had sugeries etc. Hows everyone doing?

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I'm happy to report Missy continues to improve. her diabetes, heart, cancer all under control.
Working on her back/ hind leg weakness with "bike" therapy and accupuncture. She was 'graduated to every other week for the accupuncture and goes in later today. She is now walking pretty well on her own as long on carpet... She can now get herself up from laying/sitting position.. again as long as on carpet.. the slippery surfaces as tiles and hardwood still a challenge and I try to keep her from even trying as of yet. She needs a bit more strength. her muscles are starting to firm up a bit again.. but realize this can take months of therapy to get good strong legs again. She is , however progrossing very very well and a happier girl now that she can again get around a little more on her own.

Was a urine specimen tested after the round of antibiotics to be sure the infection was 100% cleared? Will pray her vet visit give a good report.
Terry and Missy

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Missy is such a tropper! So gald to hear she is doing better&better!

Lamby has been off meds for about 6 days now,so Im thinking maybe it haesnt cleared up.I had planned to take her back this week to get her urine tested to make sure it was gone,but I could tell Sat. nite & Sun. she wasent feeing well. So I didnt go to the shop today & she goes in at 3 to the vet.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I am so happy to hear Missy is doing so well

Phoebe's last dose of clavimox was this morning, so I am taking a sample tonight to test. I do not think its gone. She still seems to be drinking and peeing alot and two days ago she peed in her crate. Its not a little bit of pee, its a ton. So I am pretty frustrated with this infection. Shes still getting up 2 times a night to pee, too.
I feel so bad for her.

I wonder if she and Lamby have the same thing? Miko also is having this same problem, a long drawn out UTI if I remember correctly... What is it with this nasty thing
Lets hope for an end soon!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
With Missy's UTIs... Baytril did a much quicker and better job than the Clavamox... might just be the type of bacteria which responded better to the baytril.
One time on Clavamox I could tell after 5 -6 days she was not better and in fact seemed worse. Took a sample in because I couldn't see wasting time doing the full round of clavamox if it wasn't even touching it. It wasn't.. switched to Baytril and though not gone I could see marked improvement within a few days.
Terry and Missy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@Jun 20 2005, 09:34 AM
I'm happy to report Missy continues to improve. her diabetes, heart, cancer all under control.
Working on her back/ hind leg weakness  with "bike" therapy and accupuncture. She was 'graduated to every other week for the accupuncture and goes in later today. She is now walking pretty well on her own as long on carpet... She can now get herself up from laying/sitting position.. again as long as on carpet.. the slippery surfaces as tiles and hardwood still a challenge and I try to keep her from even trying as of yet. She needs a bit more strength. her muscles are starting to firm up a bit again.. but realize this can take months of therapy to get good strong legs again. She is , however progrossing very very well and a happier girl now that she can again get around  a little more on her own.

Was a urine specimen tested after the round of antibiotics to be sure the infection was 100% cleared? Will pray her vet visit give a good report.
Terry and Missy
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74013
[/QUOTE]

I remember you and Missy from MO and I am so very happy that Missy is doing so well. I hope that she continues to improve more and more everyday.
I am happy to say that except for a mild ear infection, Bailey has had no other health problems so far.
He is now a little over 8 months old and he is a happy, healthy, spoiled little brat who I love more than words can say.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm glad Missy is doing well. I hope Lamby and Pheobe get well soon!! Peanut has an ear infection (I think), that we will be going in to the vet later today to check on and Tic is fine. Tic is due for his neuter in the end of July/beginning of August. Tic actually just started losing his baby teeth
They grow up so quickly

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady was on Baytril for her last uti, but when it didn't clear up, my vet cultured her to see exactly what type of bacteria was causing the infection and what antibiotics were needed. In Lady's case, it was Clavamox that she needed.

There are other things that can prevent a uti from clearing up, like bladder stones. Most vets will start conservatively with a course of Clavamox and then do more investigating if the uti doesn't clear up. Your vet may want to take some xrays today or do a sterile culture.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have been away for a while. Miko had surgery on both of his knees and has been doing really well. He is finally able to run around and seems to have more energy than prior to surgery. His last x-ray showed patellas in place, so that was great news. However, he is in the middle of another UTI and refuses to take Baytril and I have tried to hide it in every possible food. I am not sure what to do!!! Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by okw@Jun 20 2005, 12:30 PM
I have been away for a while.  Miko had surgery on both of his knees and has been doing really well.  He is finally able to run around and seems to have more energy than prior to surgery.  His last x-ray showed patellas in place, so that was great news.  However, he is in the middle of another UTI and refuses to take Baytril and I have tried to hide it in every possible food.  I am not sure what to do!!!  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74073
[/QUOTE]
Lamby gets hard to fool sometimes too.I use cheese,cheese spread,peanut butter and if all that fails I grind up her med. & just give her a small amt.of food with the ground med. in it. Im gald Miko's knees are better and I hope UTI gets better.
I hope Miss Phoebe's clear of it and all better!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I have heard people swear by liverwurst to hide pills. I wrap Lady's pills in cream cheese, but she is a very good patient and takes her medications and shots like a trouper.

You can just stick the pill down his throat or buy a pill popper, too.

If you absolutely can't get him to take his pills, you can get his Baytril in a liquid form. That can be easier with an animal who refuses to take pills.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jun 20 2005, 12:16 PM
I'm glad Missy is doing well.  I hope Lamby and Pheobe get well soon!!  Peanut has an ear infection (I think), that we will be going in to the vet later today to check on and Tic is fine.  Tic is due for his neuter in the end of July/beginning of August.  Tic actually just started losing his baby teeth
They grow up so quickly

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74066
[/QUOTE]
Let us know about Peanuts ears,I hope there is no infection.
Geez,I forgot to add...The urine sample showed no signs if infection.She does have a slight temp. but no other signs.The vet & I agreed that we dont want to give anti's. just from the temp. So he said wait a couple days and if she still is not feeling well or has signs,or urine sample shows it ,we will go with a stronger med.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Jun 20 2005, 05:08 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74128
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for asking
He does have an ear infection. I have some drops to put in and the vet said to make another appointment in a few weeks to learn how to pull their ear hair
I've seen it done before, but I don't know if I can do it

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Jun 20 2005, 06:35 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sheila2182
@Jun 20 2005, 05:08 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74128
Thanks for asking
He does have an ear infection. I have some drops to put in and the vet said to make another appointment in a few weeks to learn how to pull their ear hair
I've seen it done before, but I don't know if I can do it

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74154
[/B][/QUOTE]
AW,Poor little guy,I hope he feels better very soon.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jun 21 2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks Shelia!  I've been wanting to say for the longest time that the pic of Lamby in your sig looks just like Peanut

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74278
[/QUOTE]
Arent they the cutest Loves
She got groomed today so this is what she looks like now( This is when we were in the Bed&Breakfast when I picked her up)Unfortrunatly I have to keep her short as she hates being groomed(baggage from the BAD life.)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Lamby is such a pretty little girl
I love that picture.

Keep us posted on Peanuts ears, poor baby
Holli had quite a few ear infections as a puppy. I stopped pulling the hair in her ears and she never had another one. I made sure to dry them well after baths, too, with a q-tip. Phoebe so far has other issues... I dont know whats worse!

She is on another round of antibiotics. BF has been coming home at lunch to let her out because of all the peeing, but she still managed to pee in her crate today after only 5 hours. I just feel so bad for her, but I'm also scared that this is just not normal, all of this peeing. And in the crate too (so much for potty training, what awful timing). I asked repeatedly if the vet wanted another urine sample but they said no, that its not unusual that they need a second round of antibiotics. They gave me a different one this time. Wish us luck.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts