Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of waiting, anc endless countdowns...our puppy is finally home. She is a beautiful little girl who weighs in at just under 2 lbs. We go to the vet tomorrow for a thorough check up so I'll post details then. She has been going outside to potty (mostly tinkles) and she had one poopy accident in her crate, so I'd say she's doing just fine on potty. She slept through the night (we went to bed at 1:30 a.m. and she didn't get up until 7:00a.m.) and has been eating up a storm. She is just about as perfect as we could have hoped. She has bonded well with my three children and she loves to play with her toys. We have her in the ex-pen (from the ferret store) and we have her crate (door open, please) inside the pen. She loves her "cabana" and lounge area! She is napping right now, but loves to play in the grass with the leaves. We haven't allowed her to explore beyond a three foot area outside, as she has only received two of her three shots. We agreed on a name...Valletta which is the capital city of Malta. We thought we'd throw in some geography. Her name seems to suit her just fine. We couldn't agree so we drew names from a hat. Valletta was my husband's pick. I'll try to update the photo in my profile. And I will post more when we have time. Thanks to everyone for all the help in preparing for our puppy. I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm so thrilled for you. You have had to wait for so long. Keep us posted after you see the vet. It surely sounds like everything is off to a good start. Love the name.
Susan

·
Registered
260 Posts
So glad you finally got her

Love her name. She looks precious.
Can't wait to hear all the 'puppy stories' from you.

Sassi says WELCOME and sends bunches of 'licks' to Valletta.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
congrats on your baby valletta..i love the name! cant wait to see more pics

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for your kind thougths. We went to the vet today and she confirmed that we have a very healthy and beautiful puppy. She now weighs 2.5 lbs. (exactly). I guess she put on a few ounces since she no longer has competition for her food!!! Valletta was the first out of the litter. Her siblings were being picked up today. She goes back in 2 weeks for her final round of shots. She started her heart worm preventative, and the doctor doesn't want to start flea/tick until she is 6 months old (mostly because it's getting colder so fleas and ticks shouldn't be a big problem). Even though she didn't get any shots today, she slept all afternoon. I think the ride and the excitement exhausted her. Up until now, we have been feeding her dry and wet food twice a day and leaving a bowl of dry out all day. Starting tomorrow, she gets three meals...7a.m., noon, and 5p.m. of just dry food. That should help to get her poop schedule a bit more settled. She really is a great puppy. She is already letting us know when she needs to tinkle. She give three little yelps followed by a lot of jumping straight up and down. Then she stands perfectly still while I attach her lead. I am amazed at how quickly she has trained us!!! Keep fingers crossed that all will continue to go well for us.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 28 2004, 06:04 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind thougths.  We went to the vet today and she confirmed that we have a very healthy and beautiful puppy.  She now weighs 2.5 lbs. (exactly).  I guess she put on a few ounces since she no longer has competition for her food!!!  Valletta was the first out of the litter.  Her siblings were being picked up today.  She goes back in 2 weeks for her final round of shots.  She started her heart worm preventative, and the doctor doesn't want to start flea/tick until she is 6 months old (mostly because it's getting colder so fleas and ticks shouldn't be a big problem).  Even though she didn't get any shots today, she slept all afternoon.  I think the ride and the excitement exhausted her.  Up until now, we have been feeding her dry and wet food twice a day and leaving a bowl of dry out all day.  Starting tomorrow, she gets three meals...7a.m., noon, and 5p.m. of just dry food.  That should help to get her poop schedule a bit more settled.  She really is a great puppy.  She is already letting us know when she needs to tinkle.  She give three little yelps followed by a lot of jumping straight up and down.  Then she stands perfectly still while I attach her lead.  I am amazed at how quickly she has trained us!!!  Keep fingers crossed that all will continue to go well for us.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19038
[/QUOTE]

That is great that things are going so well. I think getting a puppy at 12 weeks can make all the difference. They do a lot of "growing up" between 8 and 12 weeks and at 12 they just understand better, etc. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
valletta is sooo smart!!!!

you're really lucky....and that its starting great right now is going to help later on. hopefully she'll be potty trained sooner, you know? have fun with your baby!! and take lotsof pics. OH, and do paw prints. you should get the crayola molding clay that dries after a couple of hours....and then you can make and ornament and put "puppies first christmas".

you'll definitely appreciate it when she's older.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Could Valletta please come over and teach Sadie to bark when she has to go out? I would really appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts