Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t been on the forum for a very long time. We used to have 3 Maltese. Then we lost Pasha last year due to old age, he was 16 and 1 month young. We miss him terribly. Then this past May, we lost Napoleon, aka Nappy, due to seizure. It happened literally overnight. We were at the Emergency Vet Hospital and they couldn’t do anything for him. He was 13.5 years young and the furry love of my life. I still can’t stop crying.

So now we only have our only girl, Raine. She’s 14.5 now. She’s always been an independent one. We often joked that she’s like a cat. But she did love to cuddle with Nappy when they went to bed. She could always be found snuggled right up to him. Since we lost Nappy, she’s been more attached to me. Before she would do her own thing—napping on the bed most of the time and sitting near us. Now she would follow me everywhere and got a little concerned if she couldn’t see me (just me, not my hubby or 2 daughters). Both my hubby and I work from home. I go into the office on Thursdays. On those days, she’d whine and look for me. It‘d take a long time for her to settle down even with my hubby at home. If we both go out to do errands, she would whine and bark for a long time before settling down (we have home security camera).

I don’t know if I should get another puppy to keep her company or get another adult dog about 2-4 years old or let her enjoy her twilight years by herself. I’m aware that introducing a puppy to a senior dog can help make the senior dog perk up and may be extend his/her longetivity. I‘ve done that in the past where our Oscar was 10 when I introduced Pahsa. At the time Oscar lost his buddy and was also experiencing severe separation anxiety. Oscar did perk up although he didn’t like bouncy and pesky puppy Pasha at first. Lol.

So any thoughts? I wavered back and forth. Have reached out to a few breeders including Raine and Nappy’s original breeders but couldn’t decide. Want Raine to be happy. Not sure if she‘d benefit from having a companion or would prefer to be the sole focus of our attentoon.

Has anyone introduce a puppy to a senior dog with a big age gap? What has been your experience? Appreciate your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
I did, once. My approx. 11 or 12 year old small breed dog lost her companion of 10-1/2 years, and seemed lonely. I got a young Maltese puppy of the opposite sex, my Spunky. She hardly knew what to do with him. lol She would jump up on the sofa to get away from, but then he grew and was able to jump up there, too. They weren't much company for each other for quite a while, and never had the same bond. Since then I have adopted or fostered a number of other dogs, who mostly got along, but again, there was a 6 month old foster who was too much for my others but was great with a youngish dog in a family that was looking for a companion for their dog. They hit it off at the first meeting.

Based on my personal experience, if your Raine has not been around puppies much lately, I would suggest an adult with a nice disposition, but not a "wild thing." :D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did, once. My approx. 11 or 12 year old small breed dog lost her companion of 10-1/2 years, and seemed lonely. I got a young Maltese puppy of the opposite sex, my Spunky. She hardly knew what to do with him. lol She would jump up on the sofa to get away from, but then he grew and was able to jump up there, too. They weren't much company for each other for quite a while, and never had the same bond. Since then I have adopted or fostered a number of other dogs, who mostly got along, but again, there was a 6 month old foster who was too much for my others but was great with a youngish dog in a family that was looking for a companion for their dog. They hit it off at the first meeting.

Based on my personal experience, if your Raine has not been around puppies much lately, I would suggest an adult with a nice disposition, but not a "wild thing." :D
You reminded me of my first 2 Maltese. I remembered when we introduced Oscar (our second Maltese) to our very first girl, Cleo. Cleo was 5 years old at the time and she acted almost like a little human. She didn’t know what to make of Oscar at first. She jumped up on the sofa to get away from him too. Lol. It took about 6 months for her to warm up and may be 9-12 months for them to bond and then they were inseparable thereafter. My hubby and I would still be in awe whenever we saw them snuggle together.

I wonder about an adult dog too. Definitely one with calmer and friendly temperament. Raine was never a playful or active dog even when she was young. I think she could benefit from having a companion but one that’s low maintenance. A couple breeders that I reached out too have an adult dog that they’re retiring. Not sure what type temperament they have though. As for a puppy, I wonder if Raine will feel like she can boss it around (pack hierachy thing?) and won’t feel threaten by a puppy as she would another adult?

·
Super Moderator
10,413 Posts
I lost Sweetness in April 2021 when she was 13 and Tessa was almost 14. After a few months, it was clear that Tessa wasn't doing well by herself especially if I had to leave for more than an hour or so. I adopted a 6 or 7 year old from NMR who has worked out well with Tessa. Josie is young enough to have some playful spunk in her and that's getting Tessa to be more lively, but she's not a puppy who will try her patience.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
The breeder's retiree sounds like something to look further into. My only concern is that sometimes they may not be truly housebroken, because show dogs have to do their business indoors wherever and whenever they can. I fostered one mature breeder's dog who preferred to pee on hard surfaces, such as my bathroom floor or the patio even though grass was just a foot away. Puppy pads work for my other dogs, but not for that breeder's dog. So ask a lot of questions about temperament and habits as well as health.

Of course I also recommend rescue dogs from reputable Maltese rescue organiations.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I lost Sweetness in April 2021 when she was 13 and Tessa was almost 14. After a few months, it was clear that Tessa wasn't doing well by herself especially if I had to leave for more than an hour or so. I adopted a 6 or 7 year old from NMR who has worked out well with Tessa. Josie is young enough to have some playful spunk in her and that's getting Tessa to be more lively, but she's not a puppy who will try her patience.
I’m sorry for your loss. I wish our furbabies have longer lifespan. They bring such love and joy. I’m glad that you were able to find Josie to be a companion to Tessa. Is NMR a Maltese rescue? So glad you’re able to give her a forever home. 🤗 I live in Canada and I’ve been checking out all the rescues in our province but most have large dogs.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The breeder's retiree sounds like something to look further into. My only concern is that sometimes they may not be truly housebroken, because show dogs have to do their business indoors wherever and whenever they can. I fostered one mature breeder's dog who preferred to pee on hard surfaces, such as my bathroom floor or the patio even though grass was just a foot away. Puppy pads work for my other dogs, but not for that breeder's dog. So ask a lot of questions about temperament and habits as well as health.

Of course I also recommend rescue dogs from reputable Maltese rescue organiations.
I was emailing the breeder with a retiree male last night and this morning. He has a sweet temperament but according to the breeder, he may do better in a home with senior owners. He’s been a stud during his first 7 years and only been recently neutered. He sounds sweet but I’m thinking I may want to look for puppy to 3-4 years old. Once Raine leaves us and I hope not for many years yet, I’ll probably get another one so there’ll be a pair to keep each other company. This breeder has 2 litters that will be availble next month and October, I’ll check in with her to see if there’s a puppy with a calm and sweet temperament (as calm as can be for a puppy that is). Another breeder has a litter that will be available later next month. Once in a while she has a 1-2 years old that’s available as well (I’m assuming she’s hoping to show it but didn’t make it). I’m also keeping an eye out on rescue websites although it’s so heartbreaking browsing through them though. :(

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
NMR is Northcentral Maltese Rescue, headquarters is in Racine, Wisconsin.

I used to know a Maltese and bichon rescue in Ontario, but they ceased operation a couple years ago.

Although a rescued dog may have a sad history, a reputable, established rescue, like NMR or American Maltese Association Rescue, will try to get them in as good, healthy condition as they can before placing them for adoption.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NMR is Northcentral Maltese Rescue, headquarters is in Racine, Wisconsin.

I used to know a Maltese and bichon rescue in Ontario, but they ceased operation a couple years ago.

Although a rescued dog may have a sad history, a reputable, established rescue, like NMR or American Maltese Association Rescue, will try to get them in as good, healthy condition as they can before placing them for adoption.
Thank you. I’ll check them out.

·
Super Moderator
10,413 Posts
I’m sorry for your loss. I wish our furbabies have longer lifespan. They bring such love and joy. I’m glad that you were able to find Josie to be a companion to Tessa. Is NMR a Maltese rescue? So glad you’re able to give her a forever home. 🤗 I live in Canada and I’ve been checking out all the rescues in our province but most have large dogs.
Tessa and Josie are both NMR rescues - Tessa in March 2009 and Josie this past December.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts