Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Our Vet Visit

1K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Snertsmom 
#1 ·
#2 ·
HAHAHAAHA. I'm so sorry to laugh, but that was a dumb answer that he gave you. Don't ever go to him again! Now you know better. I have no idea how you were able to make it through that appointment but I'm not good at hiding my emotions so I'd look like this-->

It doesn't hurt at all to get the ointment, so it's all good. Don't feel bad. And if your babies ever get another cut, you'll have the ointment ready for them. Take care

#4 ·
That is one of the dumbest answers I've heard.
Maybe next time when you make an appointment instead of saying you want to see anyone but him list off the doctors you will see. Because if you say anyone but him the person making hte appointment might have heard it as you want to make an appointment with him.

I can't believe he responded the way he did. What the heck does he think you are paying him for?

#5 ·
I'm so sorry you have to deal with a Vet like that... i'm sooo sick of vets that are rude or uncaring! I dont have a local vet that I can feel comfortable with... i go 45mins away from my house just to go to a place I feel have good vets! I remember going to 3 different vets for 3 different opinions on Kodie's blood work. (everyone thought he had a shunt... which he didnt! And when I went to a GOOOOD vet they laughed at me when I said these other Vets wanted to cut Kodie open because he has a shunt!) I think thats redicious... makes me wanna be a vet! I know more than them sometimes! But i could never put a dog to sleep... so i decided against being a vet. Hope your baby gets better ASAP! Find another vet..haha.. but next time i would speak up if something gets you mad...haha.. i am! I'm not gonna be all nice anymore to my local vet. I think they are a qwack!!

#7 ·
Okay, so here is my take on this, I am a Administrator at a medical clinic and if one of my doctor's behaved that way I would want to know. I would call and talk to the manager at the clinic and explain you specifically requested not to see that vet and that is who they scheduled you with (I think in the least you should get a full refund of the limited services you were provided). I had a really bad experience with one of the vets in our clinic we take our dogs to when we lost Piper at 6 weeks and I will never see that vet again and it is well known in the clinic that he is not to touch any of our animals. I spoke with the owner of the clinic at length about what happened and he was totally understanding and was not aware of some of the things that were going on. I had also asked to see a specific vet and got the other one, and now I am a firm believer in letting my discontent be known because it may save someone else from a bad experience. Okay now that I am done I will step down off my soap box

#8 ·
What the heck!
I can't believe he wouldn't give you a straight answer.. that's total crap. I always get irritated at the vet's office when they don't put me with the vet I made an appointment with.. I mean, that's what calling ahead for an appointment is for! I totally agree with 2happymalts, you should complain about him.. he's there to help your dogs, not to make you decide on the best course of treatment.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Nichole@Nov 18 2004, 03:34 PM
So I took 2happymalts' advice (thank you) and I called.  I asked to speak to the office manager and told her that I no longer wanted to see that particular vet.  She was like, "Okay."  Then I said that I didn't appreciate his attitude and she was still like, "Okay."  I could tell from her tone that she was just not at all interested.  So I guess no one there really cares.  Grrr!  I may just start looking for another vet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17058
[/QUOTE]

What a bummer! I hope you find a better vet and office staff somewhere else.

#11 ·
Originally posted by Nichole@Nov 18 2004, 02:34 PM
So I took 2happymalts' advice (thank you) and I called.  I asked to speak to the office manager and told her that I no longer wanted to see that particular vet.  She was like, "Okay."  Then I said that I didn't appreciate his attitude and she was still like, "Okay."  I could tell from her tone that she was just not at all interested.  So I guess no one there really cares.  Grrr!  I may just start looking for another vet.
[/QUOTE]

I hope you can find a vet clinic that cares more about their patients and the patient's owners.

People like that drive me nuts.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Nichole@Nov 18 2004, 10:49 AM
Kodie--I usually do speak up when people make me mad enough, but I was so taken backby his response that I didn't even know how to respond. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17004
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I totally hate when that happens when you're too surprised to act on it. Oh well. You don't have to deal with him again. No worries.

#13 ·
dont worry you did the right thing....the only reason to treat it any other way is for asthetic reasons...and who cares what it looks like between the toes? the vet sounds like an idiot. did you ask about your Wally? or did the vet make you not want to ask?

#14 ·
Originally posted by Nichole@Nov 18 2004, 03:34 PM
[/QUOTE]

I think I would look for another vet. What if your baby were really sick and you needed a "partner" to make him/her well? You want someone who you can communicate with and who cares..... Check with friends and acquaintances and get recommendations.

Many years ago I was looking for a vet for Rosebud, my first Maltese, who is now dearly departed. There was a vet near my house that I had planned to use, mainly because of the convenient location. So I called a woman who was a vet across town, who I knew from my women's professional group and asked her for a recommendation and she said all vets in town were great except for one... and that was the one! Then I asked someone else who is a vet tech and he said dogs die at high rates at that vet! Then I see his name in the newspaper that he gave PCP or something toxic like that to his wife.... SO, what if I had gone there innocently ... not knowing all this?

So, bottom line, get some recommendations and find someone you have a great rapport with. It can make all the difference when you really need it.

#15 ·
i know that feeling when your soo shocked you dont know what to say... thats how i was at red bank hospital in northern NJ when they told me about cutting Kodie open and thats it. They didnt answer my question or anything. Its really hard to find a good vet in some areas! I HATE IT!

#16 ·
We have a veterinary office every block or two here in Raleigh, North Carolina and NC State Vet School is here so you would think there would be an abundance of great vets here, but there are a lot of losers.

I left a wonderful vet up in New York when I moved here 10 years ago and had a tough time time finding a new one. I went through a lot before finding my current vets, but it was worth it. They are fabulous. I know Lady wouldn't be doing as well as she is with all her health issues if it weren't for them. They saved her life 2 years ago when she almost died from complications from her diabetes.

Being able to talk to your vet is really important. I can call with a question or concern and Dr. Suzy will call be back as soon as she's finished with her patient. We do a lot of communicating without Lady. For instance, Lady just finished antibiotics for a urinary tract infection 4 days ago, so I did a urine test on her this morning (I have strips that test for infection) so I faxed off a copy of her results along with the blood sugar reading from this morning (it had been high from the infection) I have such a good relationship with my vets that they will even prescribe antibiotics for Lady based on my home test results.

#18 ·
Originally posted by Nichole@Nov 19 2004, 10:54 AM
Okay, before I forget, I keep meaning to ask you guys this.  When we went to the Petsmart Halloween Parade, one of the vet techs approached me from the vet's office inside Petsmart and she was trying to sell me on their vet's office.  She was saying stuff like there is a one time membership fee of $70 and then evey month you pay $12 (I think it was) and then you can bring you dog in as often as you want.  Then this also includes yearly vet visits and all their shots.  Has anyone heard of this and does anyone do this?  I am wondering if it is worth it.  So for example, when we brought Aaden, we wouldn't have had to pay for the vet vist.  I am not sure if the meds would have been included though.  It did sound like a good idea.  Like the lady said, if you dog wakes up limping, you may be hesitant to bring them in thinking is this worth the $30 vet visit only to find out their leg was asleep.  Whereas, by brining them in to them it is a free visit.  Just wondering your thoughts.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17201
[/QUOTE]

One of the PetSmarts near me has the vet clinic. I almost did it but then I got thinking. The visit is covered but some of the tests and stuff are not covered or only partital covered. I decided it wasn't worth it. I think you end up paying more money.

#19 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Nov 19 2004, 12:01 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Nov 19 2004, 10:54 AM
Okay, before I forget, I keep meaning to ask you guys this.  When we went to the Petsmart Halloween Parade, one of the vet techs approached me from the vet's office inside Petsmart and she was trying to sell me on their vet's office.  She was saying stuff like there is a one time membership fee of $70 and then evey month you pay $12 (I think it was) and then you can bring you dog in as often as you want.  Then this also includes yearly vet visits and all their shots.  Has anyone heard of this and does anyone do this?  I am wondering if it is worth it.  So for example, when we brought Aaden, we wouldn't have had to pay for the vet vist.  I am not sure if the meds would have been included though.  It did sound like a good idea.  Like the lady said, if you dog wakes up limping, you may be hesitant to bring them in thinking is this worth the $30 vet visit only to find out their leg was asleep.  Whereas, by brining them in to them it is a free visit.  Just wondering your thoughts.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17201
One of the PetSmarts near me has the vet clinic. I almost did it but then I got thinking. The visit is covered but some of the tests and stuff are not covered or only partital covered. I decided it wasn't worth it. I think you end up paying more money.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17206
[/B][/QUOTE]

Is that fee/monthly payment PER pet? Like I have six pets...membership would be 420.00 and then 72.00 a month! :eek: My vet bills a year are NEVER that much!!!!!!!! I pay more to the vet for hearworm and flea meds than I do anything..and I am sure that is not even covered. Right?

#20 ·
Originally posted by tlunn@Nov 19 2004, 11:05 AM
Is that fee/monthly payment PER pet? Like I have six pets...membership would be 420.00 and then 72.00 a month! :eek: My vet bills a year are NEVER that much!!!!!!!! I pay more to the vet for hearworm and flea meds than I do anything..and I am sure that is not even covered. Right?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17210
[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is per pet per month.

Here is the website for the clinic:
Banfield

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.