Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Just curious when you go out do u leave your dog in or out of his crate? i have always left the boys out but finding that they are getting past the gate and pooping on my carpet upstairs
SOOOOOOOOOOO annoying now i have steam cleaned them many times the rugs not the dogs
but they still go back do i have to get rid of the rugs for them to stop? please help ! ~ Denise

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi has just recently graduated to being left out. Before that she was always locked in her pen with her crate door open. She now has free reign of the kitchen, dining room and living room. I have a gate in the hallway blocking off the bedroom and bathroom.

Nikki has been paper trained but I think I'm going to start crate training her and have her go potty outside. When she is able to hold it for 4/5 hrs reliably I will leave her locked in the pen with her crate door open. Eventually I hope to leave her loose with Lexi.

How are they getting past the gate? Have you tried a different gate? Someone on here has one that automatically closes after you open it. If that is how they are getting by it might be worth trying.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
When Rex was giving me a problem with pottying a few weeks back, I was having to put him in his crate at bed time and occassionally when we left the house (if he didnt go potty when I took him out) Now he just goes in and out of his crate as he pleases to nap or whatever. On the weekends after I let him outside in the early morning,sometimes I have to put him in his crate because he goes wild and wont let me lay back down and I would like to sleep in until 7 for a change! He doesnt mind as long as I put his toys in with him.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
We bought a crate for Ruby Jean after we got her but she was in her crate at all times with her breeder
so after putting her in once and she looked so sad I decided not to put her in it--but I always left the door open for her just in case she wanted to go in and she NEVER did-but my big fat cat sleeps in there now
also it holds her water bottle so......so she's always had free reign of the house and she's never torn anything up ... she's definitely got me trained...ha ha

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Scooby has the run of the house when we are out and I am very happy to say he has never pooped or peed when we have been out. Before he graduated though we used to leave him in his play pen with his bed and food and water and a pee pad, toys etc and he never pottied there either, not even on the pee pad. Then we gated him in the back room for a while with more room and still no mess so we thought we would just try trusting him with the run of the house and he has been so very good. He will be two in September, and he is a very good little boy.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Besides the bedroom, Alex has the run of the house when we are not home. He is a good boy. He has not destroyed anything and does not poop or pee anywhere.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
we close all the bedroom and bathroom, etc doors when we go out so lucy can roam in the kitchen, dining room, and living room. and there's a large tiled area that she has access to in our entryway.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Chelsey and chester stay in the crate or their play pen while we are out.
Chester was getting really good with being out all day when we were not home. He had no accidents. Then one day after going out for 20 min poor chester was sick. We walked in our home and the smell...
Yuk... then we saw poor chester . He was not even jumping cause we were home. We new he was sick...
but my gosh the mess he left behind. Wet poop everywhere in our living room.
From that day I have never left him out while we were gone. Not because he was sick, just because I can handel going through that amount of cleaning again. Those are not the kind of surprises we like. I think chelsey would be really good left out. Sometimes she is walking behind us and we see this little shadow , then we remember ber she is there. One time she let herself out of her crate and was out for a few hours down stairs while I was working upstairs. I did not hear a peep from her and she even used her wizdog. I only went downstairs to investigate why chester was whining... poor chester..

With my first puppy missy she was out but she had her own room , the solarium.
it had her crate toys everything she needed in there... and lots of room for her to play.
I would leave the sliding door slightly open . She was the best puppy ever. She would not touch anything that was not given to her. The only thing she ever did was eat my ham sandwich that I left on the coffee table while I went in the kitchen and that was a first . I was in shock cause she never ate any food I left on the table before.
She just sat there smiling at me and boy was I hungry for that sandwitch

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
run of the house, never owned a crate

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your replies chico seems to be the culprit of pooping upstairs the problem with the gate is they are (dogs) are not even that small 6 lbs and can squeeze thru the end of every gate i have, then i bought a mesh gate and chico climb up the side of the stair to get up! I put a pillow there and he pushed it thru and got up
i shut all the bedroom doors up stairs then he peed on the landing i dont know what to do ,he doesnt do it every time but enough where it is annoying , i hate to crate them while im gone but i might have to thanks all ~ Denise

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Denise&Chico@Jun 28 2005, 08:42 AM
Thank you all for your replies chico seems to be the culprit of pooping upstairs the problem with the gate is they are (dogs) are not even that small 6 lbs and can squeeze thru the end of every gate i have, then i bought a mesh gate and chico climb up the side of the stair to get up! I put a pillow there and he pushed it thru and got up 
  i shut all the bedroom doors up stairs then he peed on the landing i dont know what to do ,he doesnt do it every time but enough where it is annoying , i hate to crate them while im gone but i might have to thanks all ~ Denise

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75904
[/QUOTE]
At Baby's R Us I saw some gates that were clear plastic. Perfect Fit All Clear Swing Gate

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have one of each. Tunny has free run of the house at all times. However he LOVES his crate so he spends most of the time in there sleeping w/ the door open when we are gone. As soon as I shut the door he goes into his crate and lays down. Ranger on the other hand must be crated or will eat anything and everything he can find, and no he isn't a puppy he is actually a senior dog.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Denise&Chico@Jun 28 2005, 09:42 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75904
[/QUOTE]

Maybe while your gone out you can try using an x-pen. There is lots of room in there for them to pay and lay down go potty. Depending on how big you make it. I don't have a picture of one but you can get one at petsmart or most dog supply stores.

We also bought this crate called PETCARGO 500. It comes with a devider for when they are puppies , but to be honest we bough the smallest one 500 and it can hold both chester and chelsey with the devider each has enough room on each side. if you get the 600 or 900 it would be more of a playpen. I whish they had thought about making a door on each side. It is normally chester crate. When we take them to the in laws we use the PET Cargo it is perfect it holds everything and we can either have them pay togeter in there or seporate them .

It came in very handy when chelsey was a puppy so she could be close to chester but not get him messed up if she had and acceident.

http://www.dog-pictures.co.uk/dog-supplies...-Cargo-600.html

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well i usually leave Scrappy in our bedroom for about 8 hrs, but just last friday i got home from work to find a huge hole in my sheets and matress cover
there was cotton everywhere!! So now i leave him in our office room. We have never had problems with pooping/pee anywhere else but his pads. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by Joe@Jun 28 2005, 12:48 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75870
[/QUOTE]

Same with me Joe. Even though I don't think their is anything wrong with crate training, it just isn't for me. Bailey has free reign in the house. When we do leave him (which is VERY rarely), I do close the bedroom doors and the bathroom doors and he is free to roam in the dining room, kitchen, living, and sitting room areas. Usually, he goes with me, or my Grandma sits with him.... he has me trained very well, don't you think?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Sorry you're having gate trouble, I am too. Bella doesn't have gates or crates or anything at home, and she is really good, but its another story at my dads house. When we go visit, he puts up a gate to keep Bella away from the sliding glass door, because he has a huge German shepard and Bella likes to go bark and growl at him through the glass. I guess she thinks thats the perfect time to bark at him because the door protects her. I haven't found a gate yet that Bella can't knock down, and she's barely five pounds

·
Registered
831 Posts
Originally posted by Joe@Jun 27 2005, 11:48 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75870
[/QUOTE]

Me too, the girls have the run of the house I don't own a crate. We installed a doggie door but only Luna uses it. the girls dont understand the concept of the door yet and also is too high for then togo tru. they are paper trained and so far it has worked. :D

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
What about when puppy get sick while your out. Do you come home to surprises.
Chester has a sensitive tummy and gets sick sometimes .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@Jun 28 2005, 06:37 PM
What about when puppy get sick while your out.  Do you come home to surprises.
Chester has a sensitive tummy and gets sick sometimes .
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76047
[/QUOTE]
Oh poor Chester.
Knock on wood.... Bailey doesn't have a sensitive stomach. His stools are always hard (Yuck...I know), and not loose at all.
So far, I have never come home to any surprises.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yep , just last night chester throw up a bit while he was playing with chelsey. I think maybe it was the jumping after dinner this time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts