Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 4 1/2 old maltese puppy is now outside potty trained. i am considering changing him to potty pads based on his new "grooming do". my groomer said to never let him go out because of rainy weather and his coat would always stay nice. what do you guys do and what advice can you offer me. if i change him, i will need helpful hints on how to change him over sucessfully to puppy pads.

shannon

·
Registered
802 Posts
You did a good job training. I don't know about NEVER taking them out to go.

As far as pad training. Get that fake urine stuff and spray the pad, and bring her there when she feels she needs to go. After sniffing the stuff, they usually get the urge to go.

The good thing about indoor training is the winter time, north eastern winters are too brutal for them, I think.

Good luck, try not to confuse the lil thing. :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
What has worked for me is:
Inside or out, just pick one. If you try to get him to go outside in the summer and inside in the winter, the poor thing will get confused. If you are going to switch, start the training as you will do with a puppy,
Mine never goes potty outside, when we go out i always carry him or he goes in the bag, but for potty he goes in pads inside and he does great. It really is better in rainy days or cold weather.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
When your baby goes outside does he play after he goes potty? I think if they have time outside to sniff around it would be harder to indoor train him. Matilda is potty trained outside but if she has to go at night or when we leave her for a short time, I use the pee pads. It works for us. I guess it all depends on your baby.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts