Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm starting to get very concerned with our "princess" she has gotten increasingly agressive with people that come to our house.

She always wants to go after the mailmans ankles, I used to think she just wanted to play like when she goes after our ankles, but now I'm not so sure.

Then the other day a salesguy came to our house and he tried to pet her while my wife was holding her amidst her yapping and growling at him and she snapped at his finger.. I don't think she was playing..

Also, whenever she meets a dog for the first time.. she wants to run up to them and nip at their upper lip, or ear.. she does this even to the dogs I know she's DYING to play with, if she gets away with it she just kind of steps back and then they get to know each other, but she's still a little nippy.

We are going to be opening our store soon, and I plan on having her there with us every day with her sister (no problems with her yet) but there will surely be alot of dogs that come in our door, and I need to know she's not going to go cranky on us??

I"m considering taking her to a doggie boot camp or something if I need to??

what do you guys think??

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're looking at about 7 weeks? There is still so much to do in such a short amount of time, so I'm going to have to find some time to take her somewhere.. We wouldn't have the store if it wasn't for her though, so I guess she's deserves the sacrifice

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
OH, the dog trainer came on tuesday. basically we have the girls on this different choke collar. it stops at a certain point. i'll take a pic today and post tomorrow.

whenever sprite wants to lunge, i have to snap on her leash for a correction and say "no" sternly. and we also have a spray bottle. so when people leave, sprite wants to bite their pants, and if she doesnt have the collar and leash on---i spray her. check out www.unclematty.com they show you how to do leash corrections on there.

i found a pic of what type of collar

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1089899487104

and you do training sessions a couple times a day for 20 mintues. and every time she goes to lunge, just say "NO, NO NO" and every time you say 'no', give a leash correction. sprite stopped biting people leaving the house. so far so good.
i'll tell you how our training goes in 2 weeks. we're going to train outside.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sometimes frequent socialization helps... but you have to be careful you pup doesnt harm anyone in the process. when you store is open she will be exposed to people all the time and this should help, but ofcourse she needs socializing "practice" before hand so she doesnt scare the customers
i would speak to some trainers and see what they say can help her. good luck with her and your business, im sure it will be a hit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts