Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is mostly directed at those who have a Maltese that's older than a year, especially if you've had him/her since puppyhood.

How has the personality changed? I know with other breeds of dog I've seen, they sometimes become a little less tolerant of new things/people/noises , certainly less playful, sleep a bit more, etc. Have you noticed any changes in personality/changes in activity since your malt has aged a few years? Is it just a matter of no more 'puppy crazies' or 'zoomies' but they still love a good play now and then? I'm just curious what others' experiences have been. Sometimes I can't imagine Leila being much more snuggly than she is...she will play if I start it, and occasionally she'll follow the cat around trying to get her to play, but other than that, she's happy to lie on the couch against my leg or on my lap being combed. She certainly isn't hyperactive. So, I wonder sometimes if I'm going to end up with a living, breathing lump on the couch ;)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I would say in general I have found my dogs have got more calm and more of a lump on my lap or couch as they aged. i think like us if they don't get enough stimulation they fade somewhat. Taking them out to see and experience new things are pretty important I think. Agility or something like that would help a lot.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Nikki is definitely more of a lap dog as she gets older. I tried dog playgroups but if there is more than one or two dogs, she gets overwhelmed. She's fine one on one with dogs, and she loves most people. I know that she gets bored sometimes. We travel a lot and take her with us, and she really enjoys that.

If you want to keep your puppy stimulated and active, you could try agility classes or take her to a small dog meetup or playdate.

The Little Dog Activity Book is a good source for games/activities that you can do with your dog.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Ok all of mine are over 1. Cody still has the energy of a pup. He loves to run. Bella is another one that likes to be in the action. KCee well he is KCee a strange baby. Mia has spurts of energy but she tires easily then I have to remember she has LP4 and will more that likely have arthritis as she ages because of her shallow hip sockets. She is content to be a lap dog.:wub::wub::wub: They all sleep a lot during the day when not outside playing.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Rylee will be 7 in May and she is still the same. She has always been calm to start with. Still hates to be groomed. I got the brush out just the other day and as soon as she saw it she had to go out and poop on the sidewalk . This was about eight thirty then instead of coming in she was sitting on the rocks glaring at me. I had to go out and bring her in.

She has always been somewhat hard to groom. She has to go potty before a bath right after and sometimes in the middle of being dried. As she has aged I have noticed that she is getting more tan on her coat. Otherwise she is the same as when I brought her home.:wub:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Maintaining socialization depends upon the owner to continue presenting the dog with new situations. The more new things we offer, the better the dog will be able to cope with new things.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Each of my furbabies have always seemed to maintain their wonderful, loving and yup puppy like personalities. By puppy like I mean, happy, playful, just furs of love. I always said, Maltese are like forever puppies (minus the puppy stage behavior). My Flakey lived until he was 15, and was a complete character from when we got him as a pup. Nothing ever kept him down or made him loose a step. Tina Marie stayed the same her whole life and Kara, the only differnce with her was, she just seemed to get sweeter and sweeter and sweeter. But all 3 always had the puppy happiness in them. It just always amazed me.

My Mia, who will be two, has changed as far as, she used to be on the shy side with strangers, but now she is more confident and sure of herself. Leo, well, I think Leo will always be Leo...and thank goodness for that. :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My 4 are totally different and it has some to do with age but I think its exposure AND inate personality

Emma ( 26 months)was a very shy puppy, we worked with her to build confidence and exposure to people places and things. She is now a confident adult, plays less with toys but is active with naps. She is still playfull but not "crazy"

Mimi ( 10 months)- was always a confident dog- she was and is always calm- never anxious, quiet and polite, never hyper. Still plays quietly with toys but she was mature acting from a baby-hood.

Twinkle- Maniac- 7 months ( we can only hope that some day she calms down)

Jilli Bean-( Jade) 27 months- very shy ( was too shy for the show ring) she loves to run and play and frankly she is making up for lost time( no couch potato here)

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Alex has never been much with other dogs. But when it happens he is ok with them unless they bother him. I went to obedience class with him to try to socialize him more. It was a waste of money. All of the dogs were pups (he was already an adult) and a lot bigger than he was. The teacher was not used to small dogs. He was always watching his back. One time he looked at me and I could tell by the way he looked at me that he was telling me "what the heck are we doing here !". My grand'daughter was born when he was already 7 years old. My grand'son is now 3 years old. Alex will be 13 end of May. He does not mind at all the grand kids. But of course in view of his age, he is not playing like a pup would be. I think all dogs change when they get older. They don't have the energy a pup has. Same as people. He still has some bursts of energy when he would like to play. Unfortunately we have to stop him due to his heart condition. If he gets too excited he starts coughing and we want to avoid this. When you see him, you would never think that this dog is almost 13 years old. Everybody who sees him is like "oh look at the cute puppy". Sorry people, he is a grand father. Our neighboor said "I have never seen an old sick dog being as spunky as this one". I am sure that if it would not be for his heart condition he would still act completely like a pup.

·
Registered
331 Posts
dex was 9mo when i got him- at 2.5 hes as puppylike hi enery and squirmy as ever.. his NY friends on this board prob wish he was a little calmer.. lol...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I don't have Maltese yet, but I can share my experience with Lacy (yorkie). Lacy was the most hyper, wild, independent little puppy. Around 7 months or so she started to get sweeter and calmer. She's still very active but she has calmed down a LOT as she has gotten older. Otherwise she is still pretty much the same as she has always been.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Bailey was over a year old when I got her and was pretty active. As she has aged she had gotten more and more lazy and didn't want to play or anything. She would lay around all day and sleep. When I brought Sophie home it was like I had gotten another dog! She is sleeping a lot less now and plays with Sophie all the time. I think it was the best thing that I could have done for her. They are chasing one another around the living room as I type this!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So overall, seems like the consensus is that they may slow down a bit, but otherwise, no really drastic personality changes. That's good news! As long as Leila maintains her sweet, cuddliness, and overwhelming desire to be with me whenever, wherever, then I'll be happy. :wub:

Bailey was over a year old when I got her and was pretty active. As she has aged she had gotten more and more lazy and didn't want to play or anything. She would lay around all day and sleep. When I brought Sophie home it was like I had gotten another dog! She is sleeping a lot less now and plays with Sophie all the time. I think it was the best thing that I could have done for her. They are chasing one another around the living room as I type this!!
Oh boy, like I need any more good reasons to have more than one! :blush: It sounds like Sophie and Bailey complement each other perfectly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts