Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took my pup, Dolcina, 3 years old, to the vet, because she had an eye infection:blink:. So I thought I'd weight her.

:unsure:I could not believe my eyes! She gained so much weight since I first got her from Diamond Maltese on Jan 2010.

When I first got her as a retiree from the breeder, he told me she would be a little overweight since she just had a puppy, and that I needed to put her on a diet (which I didn't). At that time she weight 5.6 lbs, but her ideal weight would have been 4-4.5 lbs.

Today 7/22/10, she weight 7.2 lbs.

I could :smilie_tischkante:beat myself for not being more careful and letting her eat so much. I give her ARTEMIS for adults and I give her (as a treat) dry jerky tenders chicken.

Dolcina has a very good appetite and I am happy not having to beg her to eat like my other flafette Poupetta who is such a finicky eater.

I told the vet to do a blood test and see if anything is wrong with her.
I will have the results tomorrow.

:wub:What do you suppose it could be for such a little compact pup to gain almost 40% of her ideal weight?

·
Premium Member
17,461 Posts
If she has a "strange distribution of fat" then I would check for Cushings Disease! Otherwise try the diet! Hope you find the reason! hugs

·
Registered
597 Posts
Has the vet told you she is overweight?
If her weight is proportional to her size, then she is a healthy girl. Now that she is not "working" anymore and is in a loving home, she is enjoying the good life! Kudos to you for giving her a home where she can thrive.

If your vet said she should lose a little, best to listen to his/her advice.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
You said the breeder indicated she needed to go on a diet and you didn't put her on one - so she has likely maintained her desired level of eating which was more when she was pregnant and nursing than when she was not. From what I have learned, female dogs are typcally fed more when pregnant and/or are often fed puppy food which has more calories when they are nursing as they must produce food for their babies. And this additional weight/food needs to be skimmed as the puppies are weened.

There are simply so many variables that are more environmental than medical to consider: Food Quantity, Food Quality, Amount of Exercise, Type of Exercise, etc.....I would start there and compare what you are doing differently from what the breeder did before you start thinking it's biological.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Most commonly the problem is overfeeding and not enough exercise...just like with people. Checking a thyroid is always a good idea since Maltese are prone to thyroid problems. Being hypothyroid can make it hard for a dog to lose weight.
Think of it this way...at 5.6 lbs, a quarter of her weight would be 1.4 lbs. So she has gained just over what was 1/4 of her already chunky weight. That is like a 200 lbs person throwing on 50 lbs. It is a lot of weight and not a good thing for her health.
I am feeding my dog that should weight about 7 lbs less than 1/2 cup of food per day, using that food as treats...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Be extra cognizant of the treats aspect of her intake---just like in people,a LOT of additional calories can be ingested that way without even realizing it. Both of my Malts eat 1/4 cup twice daily and their weights are spot-on for their sizes. If your vet is concerned, you should be also. Extra weight places undue stress upon the synovial joints (a problem area for lots of these pups as it is), not to mention an increased chance of stroke and cardiovascular disease. Their lifespans are decreased as well by the accumulation of adipose tissue. No need to panic, just see that you give her regular opportunities to exercise and factor the treats into her daily dietary intake to keep the calories in check. She'll bounce back with vim and vigor.
Hope the eye infection gets better soon also. :)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
is she slightly larger than normal? I mean in heigh/length ? I know its over the maltese standard but i have the same with floee. Bella is always under 6lbs - normally 5.5 and mya is always bang on 6 - all the girl eat the same however floee is 8lbs!!! The is however slightly longer than the other 2 and the vet says that although shes a few oz over weight (im awear that she is so always ask him about it) he says she isnt actually FAT and is totally healthy. I have to say i did used to (badly0 judge those with ''over weight'' pets but floee atually is more acive than the others and probably eats a lot less as the other 2 are into the plates 1st lol so long as shes healthy and obviously it doesnt get out of hand i wouldnt worry about it or beat yourself up over it xxxx

·
Premium Member
24,174 Posts
I know my girls have to be over weight, they have vet appointments in Aug, I hope our vet chews us out ( especially my dh) who gives way to many treats a day. we actually have fights over this, he just chooses not to listen to me:angry: so hopefully my vet will help with this

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JMM: you were right: the vet just called me: IT IS A THYROID condition.

He said it is very uncommon for very such young pup (3 yrs old) to have thyroid condition.

So my question is: do you think that the breeder knew about it and that's why, after 2 1/2 years he decided to sell her? Should I call him and confront him about it (in a nice - diplomatic way?). He gave me only 1 month warranty.

What puzzles me is that initially, he told me over the phone that she weights 4-4.5lbs.
When I got her (within 10 days) I weight her and she was 5.6lbs. I called him for an explanation and he gave me the reason that I already posted here before ( "she just had a puppy").

Now 'm faced with a lifetime thyroid illness - I am soooooooo sad, I want to cry.

I just lost last year my precious Piccolina to lymphoma and she too had thyroid and just thinking how terrified she looked every time I forced the medicines into her mouth, I don't want to have to go through this again with this little young pup Dolcina.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I am sorry to hear this :( Poor little Dolcina. What a good Mummy you were to have her tested straight away just like that. Catching it so early should minimize her issues I should think. :grouphug:

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
I'm sorry you have to deal with this with your baby. At lunch today several of us were talking about giving meds to our fluffs and I have had a huge success using Pill Pockets. Since our fluffs are so little, I tear them in pieces and smoosh them around the pill. The girls don't even know they've been given meds - I will never give another pill without them.

If you have to do regular meds for the thyroid, I'd suggest giving those a try. You can get them at PetSmart or anywhere they sell pet supplies.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Oh i am so sorry that it is thyroid related.
My malt should be between 8-9 pounds and she is 12 pounds and barely eats anything. Less than 1/2 a cup a day...close to just 1/4 cup of kibble.
She had blood work done and it was fine but what kind of blood work is done to check for thyroid?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh i am so sorry that it is thyroid related.
My malt should be between 8-9 pounds and she is 12 pounds and barely eats anything. Less than 1/2 a cup a day...close to just 1/4 cup of kibble.
She had blood work done and it was fine but what kind of blood work is done to check for thyroid?
:wub:I don't know what type of blood work the vet is doing, as a matter of fact, he called me today and asked me permission to do a more "intrusive":blush: blood work in addition to what was already done.

I am very worried as to what he might suspect there is else there:smcry:

You may want to check my thread at the "Breeder" column too.

I am in turmoil :exploding: and who knows what else I'll hear from the vet on Monday......

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
OMG I'm sure you are feeling very shocked cause of this. I really hope all is well with your sweet baby and that with proper meds her condition will improve. I'm sending you positive thoughts and please know you are doing the very best you can. HUGS:grouphug:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OMG I'm sure you are feeling very shocked cause of this. I really hope all is well with your sweet baby and that with proper meds her condition will improve. I'm sending you positive thoughts and please know you are doing the very best you can. HUGS:grouphug:
:wub:Thank you soooooo much!

Positive thoughts are always encouraging :aktion033:

I am waiting for Monday to hear what else the vet has to say, but I am scared:blush:

Dolcina is resting now, but her eye infection is not any better despite the eye drops the vet gave me.

I'm a little worried for my little girl:smootch:, I:heart:love her so much, I didn't expect her to have such illness at such young age!:crying:

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
My Sophie has to take meds every day for Cushings and as a previous poster said the pill pockets are wonderful. All I have to say is "medicine time" and they both run to the kitchen and sit which for Annie is a feat in itself. I just take a little piece of one and barely coat the capsule and she gobbles it right up. Then they each get another little piece as a treat. Sophie is very overweight due to the Cushings (and hubby) so she is also on a restricted amount of food, but she is ALWAYS hungry - hoping the meds kick in. Her last test came back with very good results.

Keeping your baby in my prayers - I know how hard it is when they are sick.

Linda

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I'm surprised your vet called it unusual. I see this quite often in young to middle-aged adult dogs. It is a common thing and very easy to treat. Honestly if that's all my dog had I'd be jumping for joy to have such a simple thing to fix.
The breeder getting rid of her because of that sounds rather far fetched. While they may not have wanted to breed her, I can't imagine why they wouldn't have put her on the very inexpensive medication and then flat-out lied to you over something that should be a non-issue. That really sounds far fetched.

Dogs change. Dogs age. Dogs get things. I would stop trying to find someone to blame and enjoy your pretty darn healthy dog. This is not a big deal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts