Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW!!!! I have been trying to read as much as possible on the grooming thread as to what is a good brand shampoo, conditioner, etc..to buy. It's sooooo over whelming. So I figured I will start my own thread.

O.K.

As of right now I use something called SNO SHO this is what the breeder told me she used on her puppies. It's sort of blue/purple. It seems to work fine. No Bleach or harh Chemicals and Chulita is SUPER, SNOWY White after I wash her with this. I will continue to use this until it's done. I use SNO SHO every other wash when I take her a bath at home...other baths I use Johnson and Johnson's baby Shampoo. I use human conditioner Fienese (sp) brand. She's SOOOO FLUFFY after her bath and smells super good. I have no leave in conditioner or anything else. I was looking into Pet Silk but it seems that everyone on here is more into Bless the beast?? and Ice on Ice - NEVER heard of that before. I normaly just brush her hair...dry...with nothing in it. So now...there is where I need your help.

A good shampoo to buy
A good Conditoner
Leave in Conditoner - do I really need this?
and anything else I may need when I bath her at home in between her visits to the groomer.

THANKS A MILLION :D

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Most people use a leave in conditioner spray when they do their daily grooming. You should never brush your furbaby's hair dry, it can cause it to break.

I recently got a sample kit from Chris Christnesen Systems. It had the Day to Day Shampoo, Thick n' Thicker Condtioner, After Rinse, and Ice on Ice in it. I LOVE IT! My mom is going to buy the full size bottle for the girls for Christmas.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Baby shampoo is very very harsh. Don't be fooled by the term "baby shampoo" becuase it will strip the hair.

How often do you wash Chulita? And the reason you dont find Ice on Ice (Chris Christensen brand) or any of their items is because they sell directly off their web site. It's truly a great product for Maltese.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Paris'Mom@Nov 17 2005, 11:31 AM
Baby shampoo is very very harsh. Don't be fooled by the term "baby shampoo" becuase it will strip the hair.

How often do you wash Chulita?  And the reason you dont find Ice on Ice (Chris Christensen brand) or any of their items is because they sell directly off their web site.  It's truly a great product for Maltese.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120559
[/QUOTE]

She is indoors ALOT so I wash her maybe once or twice a month..myself and then she goes to the groomer every 4 weeks or so. She is due to go to the groomer this weekend. But I would REALLY like to order some stuff TODAY to have ready for her next at home bath. I do not want to dry her skin out and I'm worried about doing that. So I want a shampoo and conditioner that won't dry her skin out. I keep reading about Pet Silk Moisturizing line have you tried it ever??...I think I'm conviced on this ICE ON ICE leave in conditioner. Do I need the liquid silk and rinseless shampoo?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 17 2005, 10:40 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Paris'Mom
@Nov 17 2005, 11:31 AM

How often do you wash Chulita?  And the reason you dont find Ice on Ice (Chris Christensen brand) or any of their items is because they sell directly off their web site.  It's truly a great product for Maltese.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120559
She is indoors ALOT so I wash her maybe once or twice a month..myself and then she goes to the groomer every 4 weeks or so. She is due to go to the groomer this weekend. But I would REALLY like to order some stuff TODAY to have ready for her next at home bath. I do not want to dry her skin out and I'm worried about doing that. So I want a shampoo and conditioner that won't dry her skin out. I keep reading about Pet Silk Moisturizing line have you tried it ever??...I think I'm conviced on this ICE ON ICE leave in conditioner. Do I need the liquid silk and rinseless shampoo?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120561
[/B][/QUOTE]
Christensen sends their stuff really quick. I think I ordered mine on a Tuesday around 11AM. I called at 2PM that same day to ask them a question and my order had already been processed and shipped. I got it Thursday in the AM.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 17 2005, 11:55 AM
Sno Sho is a whitening shampoo so it shouldn't be used that often since it really dries the coat out. Human baby shampoo is a no-no, too.

You need to get her some good, everyday cleansing products. Pet stores really don't carry good grooming supplies (including brushes). Most of us shop online. Here are a few sites you'll want to bookmark:

http://www.petedge.com/

http://www.chrissystems.com/

http://www.carealotpets.com/

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%....x=9&search.y=8
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120564
[/QUOTE]

Well I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE SHOPPING ON LINE!!!!! That's how I met my husband 7 years ago. LOL!!!

Now I need a good comb for her face...it's very hard to get something small enough to get in there and a very day grooming brush or whatever it's called. Should I be purchasing these from the CC website as well. I want to put in one order. She has short hair right now not super short...and I plan on keeping it in sort of puppy cut...not really short..but not long down to the grown either. Can you suggest 1 comb and 1 everyday gooming brush for me?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I have bought a ton of shampoos including... biogroom...petsilk whitening...petsilk moisturizing...coat handlers...and Natures specialities Plum Silky shampoo.

My favorite by far is the Nature's specialities Plum Silky shampoo. It is fantastic!!
It is dilutable by 24 to 1, has conditioner built in and leaves Abbey not only super soft and white but she smells terrific
and it lasts until her next bath.

My second choice would be the petsilk moisturizing shampoo. It did a good job, too. I did not care for petsilk whitening shampoo (I never even saw a difference). The rainforest scent leave in conditioner stinks to me
- I loved the orginial scent but this is nothing like it.

I had to order the Nature's Specialites Plum Silky shampoo from my groomer. They have a Plum Silky cologne, too but I haven't tried it yet. Someone said they had a magazine they could order it from but I haven't seen it in any magazines I get.

Good Luck! It all comes down to personal preference but I highly recommend the Plum Silky shampoo!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Abbey@Nov 17 2005, 01:47 PM
I have bought a ton of shampoos including... biogroom...petsilk whitening...petsilk moisturizing...coat handlers...and Natures specialities Plum Silky shampoo.

My favorite by far is the Nature's specialities Plum Silky shampoo. It is fantastic!! 
It is dilutable by 24 to 1, has conditioner built in and leaves Abbey not only super soft and white but she smells terrific 

My second choice would be the petsilk moisturizing shampoo.  It did a good job, too.  I did not care for petsilk whitening shampoo (I never even saw a difference).  The rainforest scent leave in conditioner stinks to me 

I had to order the Nature's Specialites Plum Silky shampoo from my groomer.  They have a Plum Silky cologne, too but I haven't tried it yet.  Someone said they had a magazine they could order it from but I haven't seen it in any magazines I get.

Good Luck!  It all comes down to personal preference but I highly recommend the Plum Silky shampoo!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120603
[/QUOTE]

THANKS A BUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 17 2005, 11:14 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Nov 17 2005, 11:55 AM
Sno Sho is a whitening shampoo so it shouldn't be used that often since it really dries the coat out. Human baby shampoo is a no-no, too.

You need to get her some good, everyday cleansing products. Pet stores really don't carry good grooming supplies (including brushes). Most of us shop online. Here are a few sites you'll want to bookmark:

http://www.petedge.com/

http://www.chrissystems.com/

http://www.carealotpets.com/

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%....x=9&search.y=8
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120564
Well I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE SHOPPING ON LINE!!!!! That's how I met my husband 7 years ago. LOL!!!

Now I need a good comb for her face...it's very hard to get something small enough to get in there and a very day grooming brush or whatever it's called. Should I be purchasing these from the CC website as well. I want to put in one order. She has short hair right now not super short...and I plan on keeping it in sort of puppy cut...not really short..but not long down to the grown either. Can you suggest 1 comb and 1 everyday gooming brush for me?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120572
[/B][/QUOTE]

Probably the best brush to get would be the A#1 All Systems 27 mm soft (white pad) pin brush. I think most of us use either that or the Chris Christensen 27 mm Gold Series brush. The A#1 brush is more than half the price at about $14 or $15 and may be the only brush you'll ever need. If Chulita ends up with a thicker, more cottony coat or you decide to keep her long, you may want to consider the CC brush. I happen to love it on Lady's more cottony coat, but I know a few of our members weren't thrilled with it because it's larger and heavier than the A#1 brush.

http://www.cherrybrook.com/store/ProductDe...productID=50014

As far as face combs go, Chris Christensen makes a wonderful Buttercomb just for faces. It's on my wish list so I can't personally recommend it, but I know a number of our members have it and love it. Its #006.

http://www.chrissystems.com/combs.htm

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE for all the input on shampoos, combs, brushes etc....

I went ahead and purchased CC's

Day to Day Shampoo and Conditioner
Ice On Ice
27 mm Gold series Pin Brush
Silk Spirits
and
Show Off (Rinseless Shampoo)

all for the whopping price of $82.00 :eek:

So hopefully it will be worth all this money. I will continue to use the Sno Sho that I currently have until I finish the bottle. I happen to like the results from it. When I'm done with it I will try a diffrent "whitening" Shampoo.

I plan on buying the buttercomb with the NEXT paycheck.

THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You can still use the Sno Sho so you don't have to try to finish it up. It's a great whitening shampoo. Just only use it every 4 shampoos or so.

Be sure and add the CC Mark I slicker to your wish list....oh, and a regular buttercomb for the body!

I just love to help other people spend their money!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 17 2005, 03:14 PM
You can still use the Sno Sho so you don't have to try to finish it up. It's a great whitening shampoo. Just only use it every 4 shampoos or so.

Be sure and add the CC Mark I slicker to your wish list....oh, and a regular buttercomb for the body!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120650
[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!

That's what I plan on doing is finishing up my Sno Sho and then buy a CC Whitening Shampoo later on. I love the results the Sno Sho give my Chulita.

Oh..I will be getting the Buttercomb 006 for her face. What buttercomb for the body should I get?? and what does the Mark I slicker do for her hair? Is the 27mm brush not enough??

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 17 2005, 03:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Nov 17 2005, 03:14 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120650
LOL!!!

That's what I plan on doing is finishing up my Sno Sho and then buy a CC Whitening Shampoo later on. I love the results the Sno Sho give my Chulita.

Oh..I will be getting the Buttercomb 006 for her face. What buttercomb for the body should I get?? and what does the Mark I slicker do for her hair? Is the 27mm brush not enough??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120675
[/B][/QUOTE]
I have the #006 comb and use that for the entire body.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@Nov 17 2005, 01:47 PM

My second choice would be the petsilk moisturizing shampoo.  It did a good job, too.  I did not care for petsilk whitening shampoo (I never even saw a difference).  The rainforest scent leave in conditioner stinks to me 

I had to order the Nature's Specialites Plum Silky shampoo from my groomer.  They have a Plum Silky cologne, too but I haven't tried it yet.  Someone said they had a magazine they could order it from but I haven't seen it in any magazines I get.

Good Luck!  It all comes down to personal preference but I highly recommend the Plum Silky shampoo!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120603
[/QUOTE]

Abbey's mom,
It was me that said I saw it in a magazine. I was mistaking it for Natural & Organic's Plum White. I got some at a dog show in town and do like it. It is made with plum and sesame oil. It also lists cocunut oil as one of the ingredient....which I have read is terrific. It also has a nice smell. I have never seen the other.
Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
After you brush them, you should go through their coat with a comb to make sure you got all the tangles out. The buttercombs are fantastic! They really live up to their name!

I have the #000. I think some of our members have the #012 which is smaller. Whichever one you choose, I haven't heard one SM poster who hasn't raved about them!

JMM recommended the CC slickers. They really are soft and not scratchy like other slickers. This is the only one Lady doesn't hate! It's great for puppy cuts, feet, and legs.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 17 2005, 04:35 PM
After you brush them, you should go through their coat with a comb to make sure you got all the tangles out. The buttercombs are fantastic! They really live up to their name!

I have the #000. I think some of our members have the #012 which is smaller. Whichever one you choose, I haven't heard one SM poster who hasn't raved about them!

JMM recommended the CC slickers. They really are soft and not scratchy like other slickers. This is the only one Lady doesn't hate! It's great for puppy cuts, feet, and legs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120683
[/QUOTE]

Would the 006 just be too small for her whole body? Is that more for the face area?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 17 2005, 03:37 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Nov 17 2005, 04:35 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120683

Would the 006 just be too small for her whole body? Is that more for the face area?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120685
[/B][/QUOTE]
I actually prefer the smaller (4.5-5" combs). I find them easier to use on the girls' small bodies. I have a long (7-8" comb) that I got at a dog show and hav only used it a couple of times in the 1.5years I've had it.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I have the #000 and the #006. IMO the #006 would be too small for the entire body but is perfect for the face. In the near future I hope to get the #012. I think it would be perfect for the body. The #000 is rather large for such a small animal.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by paris@Nov 17 2005, 03:46 PM
I have the #000 and the #006.  IMO the #006 would be too small for the entire body but is perfect for the face.  In the near future I hope to get the #012.  I think it would be perfect for the body.  The #000 is rather large for such a small animal.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120689
[/QUOTE]
I've thought about getting either the #012 or #014. That will have to wait awhile though until after the holidays.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts