Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Good article Jackie. And the last two paragraphs say it all about Cesar Milan. How pathetic of him and scary for the dogs he's supposedly "training."

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Thanks for posting that!
Good article and that looks like a good website.
I used to read the magazines.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Thanks for this. Intimidating a dog into obedience is definitely not a good idea, as this article clearly indicates.
Completely agree. Alls it does is make the poor dog anxious :( They get so much more out of being praised once they understand, postive reinforcement and it works everytime, and gives you a happy self confident baby.

Thanks for the ariticle Jackie.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Thanks, Jackie!! Great article. A couple days ago I saw a new magazine that I hadn't noticed before with a title that had "Cesar" in it. On the front was Cesar with about 5 Maltese! YIKES!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I dunno. Appreciate the post but... I followed more of the author's information, and although I agree with his main premise, I DISAGREE with his malignment of Cesar Millan. I don't think Cesar intimidates dogs, I think he just really loves dogs. Lee Charles Kelly appears to think that by dissing Cesar he can promote his buddy, Kevin Behan. I looked all over Behan's site and couldn't understand his concept of Natural Dog Training, so I searched for it on Amazon. He has really negative reviews. So I still don't know if his brilliant idea is in line with truly "natural" training. What does it mean? Why is it different?

For the record, I do a lot of clicker training (if the dogs haven't been so traumatized before they come to me that they're scared of it). I use all positive reinforcemnet and treats, while redirect or ignore negative behavior. Before Piper, they were always rescues, most of whom I rehomed. I don't use Cesar's poke in the side or the "tchh" sound. :huh:
I think that's pretty close to what this author was trying to say. Maybe.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I dunno. Appreciate the post but... I followed more of the author's information, and although I agree with his main premise, I DISAGREE with his malignment of Cesar Millan. I don't think Cesar intimidates dogs, I think he just really loves dogs. Lee Charles Kelly appears to think that by dissing Cesar he can promote his buddy, Kevin Behan. I looked all over Behan's site and couldn't understand his concept of Natural Dog Training, so I searched for it on Amazon. He has really negative reviews. So I still don't know if his brilliant idea is in line with truly "natural" training. What does it mean? Why is it different?

For the record, I do a lot of clicker training (if the dogs haven't been so traumatized before they come to me that they're scared of it). I use all positive reinforcemnet and treats, while redirect or ignore negative behavior. Before Piper, they were always rescues, most of whom I rehomed. I don't use Cesar's poke in the side or the "tchh" sound. :huh:
I think that's pretty close to what this author was trying to say. Maybe.

:goodpost:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The friend vs. predator is based on research in the field of ethology. From this field also comes the scientific evidence disproving alpha theory. It gets pretty technical pretty quickly, but if you're truly interested I'd study it further.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Poor dogs that he scares into obedience. Unfortunately, a lot of dog trainers seem to subscribe to his ideas. We are looking for some dog training help in Toronto, but we can't find anwayone who relies primarily on positive reinforcement. There was one place that specialized in little dogs and relied on positive reinforcement but it seems to be closed now.
We really want to find a trainer for Diamond who would only use positive reinforcement and only socialize her with small dogs at first.
She is a great pup except she has what looks like some on-leash aggression to other dogs and she barks too often when people are in the hallway at our condo building. We would like a bit of help, but it seems like Caesar Milan has ruined dog trainers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Poor dogs that he scares into obedience. Unfortunately, a lot of dog trainers seem to subscribe to his ideas. We are looking for some dog training help in Toronto, but we can't find anwayone who relies primarily on positive reinforcement. There was one place that specialized in little dogs and relied on positive reinforcement but it seems to be closed now.
We really want to find a trainer for Diamond who would only use positive reinforcement and only socialize her with small dogs at first.
She is a great pup except she has what looks like some on-leash aggression to other dogs and she barks too often when people are in the hallway at our condo building. We would like a bit of help, but it seems like Caesar Milan has ruined dog trainers.
I am Canadian too, but living in the US :) My maltese Mika is an amazing dog, but she too is aggressive when on a leash towards other dogs. She is fine off leash and I socialize her with other dogs on a daily basis at the dog park, but I wish I could get this leash aggression under control !

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Dog Training Toronto and Obedience using Positive Reinforcement that place looks decent if they are anywhere near you. They even have a couple of articles on the issue you mentioned ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the same issue - I am looking for a good trainer for our dog; I found one that was highly recommended by a friend but he was too dominant, I've never seen Fiona so stressed. She was shaking the whole time. Some of what he said seemed to make sense but I did not like the "corrections" method - I have yet to find a positive reinforcement trainer in the area.... everyone seems to love and use Cesar Milan's way

1 - 20 of 23 Posts