Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took Ty for his 4th set of shots tonight, a distemper shot. He is 15 weeks and weighed 3.6 lbs. The Vet gave him hisshot and Ty absolutely shrieked when he got the shot. He has not done this before. On the ride home he wimpered alot and by the time we got home he was so sore I couldn't even touch him. I called the Vet and he told me to give him 1/2 a baby ASA.

He is eating well, drinking well, his breathing is good and he has not other signs of difficulty. But he absolutely cannot be touched. The Vet said if he wasn't better tomorrow to bring him in. RIght now he is sleeping and appears comfortable.

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My babies are usually a little sore after shots ... nothing horrible but I just am careful when picking them up....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Rex had his 2nd set of shots yesterday (2nd set since I have had him) He is always hesitant to let me pick him up after his shots and he just wants to lay around for the day. Maybe the vet hit a really tender spot on Ty and he could have a bruise. I hope Ty feels better!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi had a similar reaction when she got her rabies shot this year. My vet had me give her some children Benidryl. It helped she was fine by the next day.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one this has happened to
I feel like an over protective mother!!! He does seem a little better since the baby aspirin, he is walking around a bit and went to his pee pad and peed without crying.

Tasker (my old english sheepdog) is being just as sweet as can be. right now he's laying next to Ty and every now and then he gently nuzzles him. Isn't it amazing how they KNOW when something is wrong!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Awwww. Shots can make our babies really sore. Remember how sore we were as kids when we got shots? It must be hugely magnified on our tiny little furbabies.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ty is bit better today. He's running around and playing but he still doesn't want to be picked up. I've been giving him 1/2 a baby asa every 6 hours and that seems to help. Poor baby!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Jun 23 2005, 07:04 AM
Ty is bit better today.  He's running around and playing but he still doesn't want to be picked up.  I've been giving him 1/2 a baby asa every 6 hours and that seems to help.  Poor baby!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74600
[/QUOTE]

I am so happy that Ty is feeling better today. Bailey had a bad reaction to his last set of shots also. He screamed everytime I touched him for 2 days. I know how heart breaking it can be when our babies are in pain. I am so glad he is doing better today.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to work today but am leaving am taking a half day vacation to go home at noon and make sure he's ok........
I'm worried to death about him home alone. I gave him baby asa before I left and hopefully it won't have worn off til I get home. WHen I go near him he cowers, it breaks my heart. Do you think he'll ever forgive me.

We have another shot scheduled in 3weeks.....................

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ty is MUCH better, still slightly sore if you touch him just right but he's his usual bouncey self. In fact last night he was outside playing and found some deer poo to role in so he had to have an "unscheduled" bath!! I was a bit worried about bathing him with his shoulder sore but other than not being happy about the bath he was fine.

JMM, will the benedryl help with the soreness?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Jun 24 2005, 06:03 AM
Ty is MUCH better, still slightly sore if you touch him just right but he's his usual bouncey self.  In fact last night he was outside playing and found some deer poo to role in so he had to have an "unscheduled" bath!!  I was a bit worried about bathing him with his shoulder sore but other than not being happy about the bath he was fine. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74832
[/QUOTE]

I bet the bath felt good to him, relieving his sore muscles! I hate when the baths are unscheduled though! Benedryl is also supposed to help with car sickness...I need to check into that!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Jun 24 2005, 06:03 AM
Ty is MUCH better, still slightly sore if you touch him just right but he's his usual bouncey self.  In fact last night he was outside playing and found some deer poo to role in so he had to have an "unscheduled" bath!!  I was a bit worried about bathing him with his shoulder sore but other than not being happy about the bath he was fine. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74832
[/QUOTE]

If the soreness is any type of reaction to the vaccine, then yet, the benadryl will help. It can also make them a little drowsy just to be forewarned.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JMM, thanks! Actually, drowsey might not be all bad, he was quite "wired" the night after his shot. I'll call the vet. They warned me when he got his shot he might sleep more OR less than usual. I was hoping for more (since sleeping is still an issue) but just my luck, we got less!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts