Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bogey just went through a bout of pancreatitis. It was really scary! He is now better. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to their Maltese and if so, what steps did they take in order to insure that it doesn't happen again. We have no idea what caused it...don't think he got into anything. I was gone for a night and he got sick immediately after I left. Vet doesn't know if that could have triggered it or not. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am so very happy your Bogey is ok. My neighbor was not so lucky with her dog. He passed on Labor Day from complications of pancreatitis.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I'd be concerned about the EVO... check the fat content... the chicken small bites I had gotten ,I realized had a VERY HIGH FAT CONTENT! In fact, Quincy started to develop small fatty deposits in his eyes. I hadn't even seen them and I look into his beautiful eyes all the time! The vet pointed them out to me at his check-up.. she asked about food.. and had me immediately switch.
High fat I believe can trigger pancreatitis.

Here's nutrient analysis of EVO small bites ( chicken)... that 22.74% is pretty high!

Protein43.43 % Fat22.74 % Fiber1.43 % Arginine3.09 % Histidine0.90 % Isoleucine1.68 % Carbohydrates11.42 % Leucine2.97 % Lysine2.77 % Methionine0.96 % Phe-Tyrosine3.01 % Phenylalanine1.72 % Threonine1.71 % Tryptophan0.41 % Valine2.03 % Linoleic Acid4.46 % Arachidonic Acid0.16 % Ash11.69 % Calcium2.55 % Phosphorous1.57 % Potassium0.95 % Sodium0.39 % Chloride0.74 % Magnesium0.12 % Iron254.84 mg/kg Copper19.51 mg/kg Manganese23.43 mg/kg Met-Cysteine1.35 % Zinc260.08 mg/kg Iodine3.79 mg/kg Selenium1.13 mg/kg Vitamin A 23894.42 IU/kg Vitamin D2329.55 IU/kg Vitamin E 324.74 IU/kg Vitamin K0.73 mg/kg Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)5.03 mg/kg Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)4.45 mg/kg Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)20.87 mg/kg Niacin37.8 mg/kg Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)4.77 mg/kg Folic Acid0.79 mg/kg Biotin0.11 mg/kg Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)10.21 mg/kg Choline1979.31 mg/kg Taurine0.30 % Omega 30.54 % Omega 6 4.6 % Linolenic Acid47.0 % EPA + DHA0.19 % Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)541.24 mg/kg *Calculated amounts may differ from packaging as some packaging values are based on available feeding trial data.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies! I have just purchased Holistic Select Small Breed and am trying to change him from the Evo as I too am concerned about the fat in the Evo. Low fat diets are supposed to be the best to control pancreatitis. I hope that Holistic Select is a good food and will eventually try and use that only. He is eating it and I'm really surprised in that he is TERRIBLY picky! The vet doesn't know what caused it, but I take him back on Tues. to have more blood tests. I was TOTALLY in a panic and cried for about 3 days as he had to spend a night in the emergency vet hospital and a day at my vet with IV's. I am so thankful he is now doing better.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I'm so sorry about Bogey. I had a Maltese who had problems with pancreatitis. He was at the vet's for a week on IV fluids. We almost lost him. This can be very serious and is a life-threatening condition. I am not a vet, but Evo might have triggered Bogey's problem. Evo is very high in fat and protein. A proper diet for Bogey is crucial. I would keep him off of high protein high fat diets. These diets are not good for dogs with pancreatitis. They have trouble digesting high protein and especially fats. Do not feed table scraps or people food especially anything fried. Bogey needs to be on a low fat diet. The protein should be about one-third of the diet, with an easy to digest carbohydrate like rice or potatoes. Most grains, especially corn, are very hard to digest for a dog with pancreatitis. You can feed a commercial diet or make your own food, which I ended up doing for my dog. He got to where he could not handle the commercial food. Check with your vet about what you should feed, but no Evo! I hope Bogey never has another problem, and he may not. Mine continued to have issues but with good care, lived to be 11 years old. I hope Bogey feels better, soon. :blush: I see that you have switched his food, already. Great! I would continue the chicken & rice and gradually add the new food. If his stools get loose, you may be going too fast. If he starts vomiting, this may be a sign that he can't handle the food. If he stops eating, take him to the vet.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Boo had pancreatitis when he was 3 yrs old. We never knew exactly why.He didn't eat high fat kibble, nor human food. We suspect he got into the garbage can as we found out later, he had found a way to stretch up far enough to raise the lid with his nose & help himself to anything at the top. For 2 yrs afterward, his bloodwork showed high triclycerides, but this yr was normal. Per vets advice we keep him on lowfat & lower protein kibble. No kibble over 10% fat & less than 25% protein. He's done well, been healthy & maintains his weight. The first 3 yrs of Boos life, he did have episodes of vomiting, not feeling well & refusing to eat, but would be back to normal the next day. Since being on his lower fat & lower protein diet, that's not happened anymore, not even once & it's been over 3 yrs now. He gets mostly saltfree greenbeans & bites of raw baby carrots for treats & I'm very stingy with doggie treats, but I do let him have a small treat every couple of days. Glad Bogie is doing ok now & I hope he doesn't have that problem anymore.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
My Sophie had pancreatitis when she got older. Also spent time in the vets on IV. It is horribly painful for them, she would go rigid and shake. Poor thing.

She was on a urinary diet for stones and the vet then transferred her to the low fat Royal Canin. She did pretty well on it. I just became very careful about her having any extra fat. She never had to go in for IV again, but she had milder symptoms of it.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Well, one of my good friends just had this and it sounds terribly painful! She has to keep the fat out of her diet now to avoid further problems, so it makes sense that the same would apply for dogs. I'm so glad Bogey is doing better. You must have been so worried!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i have no advice either as im just learnig about this , just be careful with him n i will continue praying that he gets 100 % better n this doesnt recur.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I'm so sorry you and Bogey are going through this...I hope he feels all better soon and that his new diet can prevent it from ever happening again!

·
Premium Member
17,455 Posts
I am so happy your baby is okay. This is a serious issue---I know you will watch him now all the more carefully.
My little grand-dog died a year ago last lst Sept. in our care---w/this. He was already sick when my daughter brought him to Greece & when she left him to go to Italy for a week of research for Ph.D. he grieved her leaving and just gave up and died. I tried very hard to keep him alive until she could get back---brought IV home & gave it to him 2 X day---he kept crawling off to hide & look for a place to die. Finally he rallied only to give up totally that afternoon. It was so sad! I am still in grief. Another friend lost her little poodle at exactly the same time w/the same issue---only very suddenly. Our Carlos had suffered a long time already & had a heart problem as well.
The diet is important, stress minimizing and vigilance---even then only God can give and take life.
Sending prayer upward and thoughts forward to you & your baby!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
My Frankie had pancreatitis over the 4th of July weekend last year. Spent 2 nites at the emergency vet, IVs, the whole bit. I think it was caused by the canned food he was eating because the 3 other dogs who ate it also got sick. Tanner doesn't get the same kind of food & he didn't get sick at all. Hmmm. Since they weighed 3x what Frankie did, they just got diarrhea. Then 2 weeks ago, he had a small bout of it but fortunately it wasn't over a holiday weekend, and I got him to the local vet ASAP! This time I think it was because I gave him a knee bone to eat and it had too much meat on it. Usually the other dogs chew the bones down before Frankie gets it, this time I gave it to him first... lesson learned! Now he eats a little bit of Wellness kibble topped with Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken, 10% protein, 1.4% fat, it's basically just shredded chicken.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
My mini schnauzer who passed away last year may have had pancreatitis complicating her heart failure. Schnauzers are prone to high fat in their blood and to pancreatitis.

The vets recently switched my other mini to prescription Royal Canin Digestive Low Fat canned food. The meat ingredient is pork, of all things. It really seems to suit her. Royal Canin also makes a prescription Digestive Low Fat kibble for which the meat is chicken. Royal Canin also makes an over the counter low fat kibble for small dogs, which I am feeding my overly plump other dogs. I add water to it. The fat content is "minimum 9.0%" The dogs really like it, and their digestion is great on it! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts