Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else's Malts do this. I noticied today that Delilah was panting, but she wasn't doing anything to exert herself and it wasn't hot inside. (she hasn't been outside) She would also just lay down on her belly and just kinda sprawl all out in various places in the livingroom. At first I was kinda worried, but then she stoped doing it. She is fine, eating and drinking. I really wish she would learn to drink from a bowl too. All she does is bark at it,LOL Maybe I'm being to paranoid.:unsure:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would also like to know if anyone is familar with this type of behaviour. Diamond has been recently panting noticeably more than usual and she doesn't do anything to cause this panting. I too think I'm being paranoid :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
I don't know about you all but we went from 20 degrees on Sunday to 77 today - both of mine are panting for no apparent reason. I'm thinking the huge temperature swing caught their little bodies offguard.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I know when London is hot she will sprawl out on our hardwood floors like you described and pant. Are you sure she's not hot?? When London was a puppy, she got hot really easily...and as she aged, she grew out of it a little. Preston gets hot from snuggling for too long (or even sitting on my lap).

I think panting can also be a sign of pain, but unless you think she could have been injured somehow, I'm sure she's fine.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Dixie is a panter too. I have always worried about this and am relieved to see other Malts are doing the same.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our temps to have gone up from the 50's to the upper 70's and supopse to be in the mid 80's tomorrow and the rest of the week. My Sheltie wasn't doing it and she has triple the coat thickness and long hair too. She seems and acts fine. No pain, I have checked her over and don't see anything. She has taken a liking to jumping up on the couch and easy chair. Which scares the crapola out of me, I see her and immediately put her on the floor. I don't want her to jump down. I hope she hasn't done it and I haven't seen her, but she usually doesn't jump up unless I am sitting there and you have food!

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
Panting is also a sign of pain. When Zoey hurt her back last year she panted a lot. She also panted when she was sick with her IBD. I'd just watch her and make sure she doesn't seem like something is hurting. It always worries me if one of them pants for no reason.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Pepper does this after and during playtime, but I am assuming that's the reason...cuz she does then dash to the kitchen for a drink. :p

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
dolce pants sometimes , usually after exercising and playing , it also keeps them cool when they pant .. or they r thirsty.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Leila pants, too. The first few days she was here she insisted on sitting on my lap, but she would pant the whole time. Someone on here told me it can be due to stress, too. Now she only pants after she has been running or if she's hot from being outside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts