Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need help! i adopted a 5-yr old that was basically kept outside, now we have her in our condo. when we are not home we have her confined to the kitchen area with pads down for her to relieve herself. how can i get her to go to the pad to do her business when not confined to the kitchen? i take her out about 3-4 times a day but during the rainy season, this is just impossible.:smilie_tischkante: does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i take her where her pad is, she will just lay down on it. if she is left alone in her area, she sometimes does her business on the pad. she often times misses tho'

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Then you need to set a schedule and stick to it. If she does not go, back in the crate for 20 minutes and try again. Repeat until success. You also have the option of getting an umbrella and going outside.
Each time you leave her unsupervised and she does go in the right place, you missed an opportunity to reinforce your dog. So how does she have a clue as to what she should do? Each time you allow her to fail with no consequence, she learns it is okay to go anywhere she likes.
If she absolutely won't go while you watch, the pads need to completely cover a small area in which she is confined. She CANNOT fail. A 2x4 pen completely covered is adequate. Keep an eyeball on her and reward and release her as soon as she goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts