Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rose is due for her check up this week. Do you feel it is necessary to screen your fluff every year for parasites including heartworm? My girls stay inside, use potty pads, and don't board or go to the groomers'. Rose has never had a positive test and I keep her on the Interceptor. Don't you think I could do this every other year? Your opinions pro or con are much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i would like to hear the answer isnce dolce is preety much the same and ive never done this !

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Usually parasite screen means a screen for intestinal parasites by doing a fecal float. That's really up to you. It is good medicine for your vet to recommend it.

A heartworm test yearly is an excellent idea. Your vet shouldn't sell you prevention without it. The maker of your heartworm prevention pays for treatment if your dog is treated monthly and tested yearly. Heartworm treatment is easily over $1,000 and very hard on the dog. It is unusual, but no prevention is 100%.

Most places now combine the heartworm test with a screen for tick borne disease. I do this every year on my dogs and we recommend all of our clients do the same.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I do a heartworm test yearly because I skip giving Interceptor in the cold winter months, so the vet insists on a h/w test before I can get a refill, due to reasons that Jackie described above.

No big deal, except for the additional cost, of course. I don't generally do a fecal float or tick borne test. My dogs are mostly indoors.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Every year without fail they are tested. Ever get a mosquito in your house? HW potential for your dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts