Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

(before I begin, I just wanted to tell everyone that I do have an appointment to take him to the Vet this afternoon).... BUT I wanted to hear from you to see what and if you have had any experience like this.

My husband and I had to leave town for a couple of days in order to select furniture. Since the destination wasn't pet friendly, we decided to leave Paris with our friends. They have a husky and a Mastiff. Both dogs are very friendly and have played with Paris before without any problems.

We have left Paris at their house before, approximatey 5 days, and he had diarrhea when he came home because he drank and ate the big dog's food and water. The diarrhea was cured in a couple of days upon returning to my TLC.

This time, however, we only left him 2 days (Wed afternoon to Friday 11pm). When we picked him up, he was very happy and playful. We said goodbye to the friends and brought Paris home.

His poo was semi-soft. He ate some food. We slept. All's well. But since last night, he has had very runny poo, accompanied by that gel-like pink stuff. He also threw up twice (brown stuff, looks like his food plus stomach acid, perhaps?) He also pees constantly (like every 30 mins), but only drops of pee.

Paris is also acting depressed (but when my husband wokeup at 6am, he was all ready to play with him). I should tell you that I had stayed up with him ALL evening to monitor his condition and clean up his poopey butt hair and our carpet.

I have a few guesses. He gets upset when we leave him and his nerves act up, so he gets an upset stomach; He eats the big dog's food and drinks their unfiltered water (we only give Paris bottled Aquafina) and gets an upset stomach (can it last for days though?); OR he has ate a bug or something...

I'll let you guys know the outcome and the vet's diagnosis. Also, Paris is fully vaccinated and is on Sentinel (in case you were wondering).

Love you guys and hope our visit to the vets doesn't make me cry. He's my son, I love my little boy so much!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I'm sorry Paris isn't feeling well. Lexi has never had anything like that so I can't be much help. Did he stay with the same friends? Has he been away from you any other time? If this was his only 2 times away from you my guess would be he could be making himself sick because he misses you. Only a guess. Definitly take him to the vet. When he is feeling better you could try leaving him for shorter periods of time to show him you will be back. Start with only a few minutes and then gradually work the amount up.

Sorry I can't be more help. Let us know what you find out at the vet.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lexi's Mom

Yes, both times were with the same friend. We do leave him everytime we go shopping, or dining out, etc. Most was about 5 hours. Otherwise, mommy (that's me) is home with him all day long.

I asked our friends if he behaves sad when we leave him there, but apparently not. He plays with their husky super hyper-like and wags his tail just the same.

I'm so worried. I haven't had any shut-eye since last night. Im so afraid his little life will just slip away the moment I fall asleep.

(cries...)

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I know it is hard when they are sick. Lexi has thrown up twice and the first time I paniced. I'm sure he will be fine. It is probably something he ate or a virus. These little guys are a lot tougher than they look.

What time do you go to see the vet?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lexi's Mom,

The appointment is around 330 CST. I'm soooo tired right now. thanks for your encouragement. God knows I need that right now.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I'll be thinking about you this afternoon. I'll probably me logged on pretty much all day. So if you need anymore encouragment just post a message or PM me.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy had a similar episode last week and the vet said that sometimes dogs just get upset stomachs and he gave him some medicine and he's back to normal now. Hopefully everything will go great at the vets.. You might want to ask them if they'll want a stool sample so you can get one before you leave.. They had to do a fecal exam on Tuffy and he was NOT happy. Good luck with Paris and let us know how the vet visit goes. *HUGS*

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update.

Paris ate food! YAY! Can't say anything about drinking water though... Poop is still wet. I collected stoll sample (pewww) - actually, I just took the wee-wee pad, and put it in a ziplock bag.

thanks for ur advise!

Husband got off work early so we can both be there for the Vet's appointment.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I know how upset you are about Paris...these little guys are so dependent upon us for their well-being and we are so dependent upon them for the joy they bring us, as well.

I am saying a little prayer for your little one that he just has an upset tummy from all the excitement of playing with the "big guys" and that he is already on the mend.

I'll be looking for your post this afternoon, updating us on the outcome of the vet visit. I'm glad Paris' "dad" is coming for support.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paris is back to his formal self...well, almost.

He had not pooped at all since we came back from the vet. He was given a shot (for the diarrhea and vomiting) and some medication for home administering (Endosorb Suspension, liquid form). The Doctor said that although it's difficult to determine what brought on the upset stomach, in his professional opinion, it's probably drinking the big dogs' water and eating their food. <ps, our friends do not give their dogs filtered water and their bowl looks dirty to me... hubby wants me to be polite and not correct others in their own home... pisses me off. They really love their pets and gives them quality food, but overlooks the water bowl. stupid...>

Fecal exam was negative on all alarming signs. One thing I am proud of is that Paris never, ever, had any worms or fleas. He is so clean and well taken care of by the breeder first, then his mommy (me). I am so proud of his little butt for hanging in there!

They trimmed his nails for me while we were at the vets. It's weird because he used to let me trim his nails all the time, but now he squirms and making it impossible for me to do it myself. I am guessing he is becoming more head-strong and likens his behavior to stubborness. He's a spoiled little brat!

Paris came home and slept with me for about 4 hours. Woke up and ate some food (1/3 cup of food, maybe less) and drank some water. We played for a bit and now he's passed out sleeping by my foot. He managed to drag his dad's worn boxers (gross, I know...lol) and is sleeping on it. Seriously, I have his blanket right next to him, and it's clean! Yet, he prefers dad's nasty boxers.

LOL. Little boy is always bringing a smile to my face. I love, love, love him!

I love you guys too!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
:lol: :lol: im so happy Paris is getting better !!
i know what u mean by "nasty boxers"

jongee likes to drag my smelly laundry out of the laundry basket and drag them around in my room..so glad that she never did it out in the living room where my roommates can see

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Paris'Mom@Oct 5 2004, 03:32 AM
He managed to drag his dad's worn boxers (gross, I know...lol) and is sleeping on it.  Seriously, I have his blanket right next to him, and it's clean! Yet, he prefers dad's nasty boxers. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11061
[/QUOTE]

We call Brinkley "panty-sniffer" and "panty-thief"...

He doesn't bother hubby's and son's much...mostly mine and daughters...

Drives me crazy! He doesn't care if they are clean or dirty-at first I thought he liked mine b/c they were silky or something...but daughter's are cotton...so I don't get it... :ph34r:
Crazy things they do...

Glad Paris is feeling better!!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Glad to hear that Paris is doing better!

Lexi is a panty, bra and sock thief. Doesn't matter if they are clean or dirt, or if they are mine or someone else's. If she can get them she'll take them.
Little $hit!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm glad to hear Paris is feeling better!

Tuffy loves to lay down on and roll around in dirty clothes.. Anytime we happen to have some dirty clothes on the floor he immediately makes a beeline for them. And we have to gate him up when we are getting the laundry in the basket because he goes nuts with all the dirty clothes and towels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts